Thoughts from Saturday

landscapingvol

We stuck to a very vanilla playbook with very few complex offensive plays. Our first string units on offense and defense looked very good. I was not impressed with Peterman but he does have a good arm and good mobility so there is some room for optimism there. I though Howard and Lane looked very good. Neal played a very steady, solid half. I have never seen UT score on its first six possessions against anyone and they have played some bad teams. I thought our receivers played well considering their youth and I was impressed with Worley. I know our second and third teamers did not do well but good grief half of them came off of the practice squad. Our kicking game looked great in all facets. Saturday will be a challenge but UT should win if they play with heart and don't let up. WKU is dangerous enough to keep it close for too long and anything came happen at the end in a close game.

Reactions: 1 person
It doesn't matter who you play, any time you open the season with ZERO penalties that's a lot to cheer about because penalties are beating yourselves.

Reactions: 7 people
It doesn't matter who you play, any time you open the season with ZERO penalties AND A SHUTOUT that's a lot to cheer about because penalties are beating yourselves.

Reactions: 2 people
It doesn't matter who you play, any time you open the season with ZERO penalties that's a lot to cheer about because penalties are beating yourselves.

I agree! The first game of the season and no penalties tells me this is a well disciplined team and that's what it takes to win. If the Vols perform well and win this game Saturday, I look for an upset in the weeks ahead.

I loved seeing Lane and Neal in the backfield at the same time. It was the play on Lane's 1st touchdown.

Here is what I took from this:

--APSU is the worst team UT has played in my lifetime
--UT's running backs get what the OL gets them and very little else.
--UT is weaker than originally thought in the passing game (Worley had all day and was still not accurate enough to hit WRs in stride consistently)
--UT does not have a home run hitter on offense
--UT's LB corps still struggles in pass coverage
--The UT Fr DB has a lot of talent but plays like a Fr and will get beat earning lessons
--UT's problem is in experience in many areas, talent in a few areas, depth in all areas,
--UT is a very well coached team. This is the right group of coaches.
--UT will do well to finish 6-6 but the future is bright. Better days are coming.

Reactions: 5 people

--UT is weaker than originally thought in the passing game (Worley had all day and was still not accurate enough to hit WRs in stride consistently)
--The UT Fr DB has a lot of talent but plays like a Fr and will get beat earning lessons
--UT's problem is in experience in many areas, talent in a few areas, depth in all areas,
--UT will do well to finish 6-6 but the future is bright. Better days are coming.

Needs more positives IMO.

Reactions: 3 people

If this is a 6-6 team or worse then this is not the right group of coaches. In 3 years, it will be time to try again.

Lane and Neal have playmaking ability. Neals first TD was a great individual effort if you ask me.

How you can say UT's pass attack is weaker than expected after the starter went 11-13 with 3tds and no turnovers is interesting. If this is true your expectations were far too high. We have a game manager QB and very young WR's.

I think the RB's don't get enough credit. I really like our group of backs. None of them set the world on fire but with our nasty Oline they will get it done all year IMO.

This is pretty much what I took from the game as well. My biggest concern is our depth. I am amazed that even with our 2nd and 3rd teamers we could not manage more than 3 points against AP! Like you said, AP is quite possibly the worst team I've ever watched us play. I just don't understand how we couldn't score on them in the 2nd half. The drop off between 1st and 2nd team is staggering!

Really, the part in bold explains it all, and is really all we can take from Saturday's game...except the zero penalties. That's kinda nice.

I loved what I saw from North.
Other than a few timing issues(and most were still completed, they just could have been ran for a lot more with a more accurate throw) VERY pleased with Worley's play.
But the biggest thing I took away was that even though we may not be the most talented defense, we looked like we had a clue again.

Really, the part in bold explains it all, and is really all we can take from Saturday's game...except the zero penalties. That's kinda nice.

You didn't notice anything else? No change in player attitude, no change in energy level, nothing?

You didn't notice anything else? No change in player attitude, no change in energy level, nothing?

I loved the enthusiasm and attitude from our team! That was great to see but let's be honest. All the "rah rah sis boom bah" stuff only carries you so far. Eventually talent, depth, and execution takes over. We looked like a well disciplined team that's fairly talented in the 1's and woefully thin in talent in the 2's and 3's. It is what it is. 6-6.

3 questions:

How old are you?

Are you suffering from depression?

Are you on suicide watch?

:dunno: you just killed my buzz bro :no:

Last edited:

Trust me, no one will ever accuse you of being a "sunshine pumper".

Just curious; I seem to remember hearing Coach Jones saying early on that the team would gather after games to salute the fans and sing the alma mater. Did anyone see if this happened or not?

I was watching on TV and am pretty sure I saw most of the team run off of the field and into the locker room right after the game. I did notice some players "high-five" some of the fans close to the tunnel.

It's not really that big of a deal to me but for a school steeped in tradition; I would expect more involvement with the fans in appreciation of their efforts.

This may sound trivial to some but to me; things like this bring the team and fanbase closer together. I get chills when seeing other schools teams locked arm in arm and swaying back and forth singing their alma mater.

I loved the enthusiasm and attitude from our team! That was great to see but let's be honest. All the "rah rah sis boom bah" stuff only carries you so far. Eventually talent, depth, and execution takes over. We looked like a well disciplined team that's fairly talented in the 1's and woefully thin in talent in the 2's and 3's. It is what it is. 6-6.

The entire second half was played by 2nd, 3rd, 4th strings. I'm pretty sure at one point I saw one of the old ladies from a concession stand lined up at MLB.

Point is, you will only see all of these guys in a game at once if it is a blowout. As a unit, the 2's, 3's and 4's probably aren't impressive, but as individuals most play just fine. Plenty of those second and a couple of third stringers saw action in the first half mixed in with the starters. Most people probably didn't even notice.

Reactions: 3 people
I was at the game and I have the following concerns:

1. Worley's arm strength. I think he can be a good QB regardless but his balls didn't have a lot of zip. Also, his accuracy is off or his timing with the receivers is off. I don't remember a single time a receiver caught the ball and ran. Most had to go to the ground in order to make the catch.

2. The running backs left a lot of yards on the field. I didn't see a lot of yards after contact.

3. Kick coverage, specifically KO coverage. We didn't tackle well on a few of the returns.

4. While many are disappointed that 2's and 3's didn't look great, you seldom see teams wholesale substitute the whole offense or defense but rather mix them in with the 1's. I think many of the backups would have looked better with the 1's including Peterman.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back