Thoughts from Saturday

I remember after Pearl's first game he sent the players into the stands to personally thanks the fans for coming out to support them
Looked like most of our fans were on the highway by the end of the game Saturday

I remember after Pearl's first game he sent the players into the stands to personally thanks the fans for coming out to support them
Looked like most of our fans were on the highway by the end of the game Saturday

3/4 of the crowd left early in the 2nd half. Partly due to a blowout and partly due to an announcement about severe weather approaching rapidly. Fortunately it appeared about 10 minutes after the game. It was definitely severe.

Just curious; I seem to remember hearing Coach Jones saying early on that the team would gather after games to salute the fans and sing the alma mater. Did anyone see if this happened or not?

I was watching on TV and am pretty sure I saw most of the team run off of the field and into the locker room right after the game. I did notice some players "high-five" some of the fans close to the tunnel.

It's not really that big of a deal to me but for a school steeped in tradition; I would expect more involvement with the fans in appreciation of their efforts.

This may sound trivial to some but to me; things like this bring the team and fanbase closer together. I get chills when seeing other schools teams locked arm in arm and swaying back and forth singing their alma mater.

Weather might've changed those plans?

Did no one notice every ball carrier take the ball to the refs after they were tackled? Is a very small thing, but I think it shows respect for the refs and it could benefit us with a few calls in tight games. Maybe not. I just thought that it showed another example of how v this team is very well coached and disciplined. The late throws weren't just Worley's fault. Some routes weren't ran correctly. That can mess up timing also. I look forward to seeing the ones play a better team this Saturday. I'll be there to cheer them on!

Or Army, Georgia State, Rutgers, UT Martin; the list could go on and on.

this was definitely the worst team to visit neyland...not really close imo except for ut-m, and the others would be favored by 2-4 td's vs ap 2013. Playing these games is ridiculous.

but whoever the opponent no penalties is nice

Power, UTM gets their schedule every year and looks at the Austin Peay game and says, "that's a win." UTM is a much better program than APSU.

Also, the comments I made earlier will be come more evident when the Vols play SEC teams. The coaching is good, the future is bright, the present is 6-6.

I was at the game and I have the following concerns:

1. Worley's arm strength. I think he can be a good QB regardless but his balls didn't have a lot of zip. Also, his accuracy is off or his timing with the receivers is off. I don't remember a single time a receiver caught the ball and ran. Most had to go to the ground in order to make the catch.

2. The running backs left a lot of yards on the field. I didn't see a lot of yards after contact.

3. Kick coverage, specifically KO coverage. We didn't tackle well on a few of the returns.

4. While many are disappointed that 2's and 3's didn't look great, you seldom see teams wholesale substitute the whole offense or defense but rather mix them in with the 1's. I think many of the backups would have looked better with the 1's including Peterman.

1. Jones said some of the throws look off because the WR, in particular North, didn't run the route correctly. But I do think Worley's arm is suspect. However going 11 of 13 for 104 yards and 3 TDs is still pretty good. He made excellent decisions and it was decision making that probably won him the starting job. I think WKU will be a little better opponent in order to truly evaluate him.

2. I saw plenty of running through contact and broken tackles. Neal had 141 yards rushing on 16 carries and a TD, Lane had 38 yards on 6 carries and 2 TDs, and that was in the first half only. Even Summerhill in the second half had 67 yards on 9 carries. Not sure if there really more yards to be had, especially with our starting unit.

3. Except for that one KO which had like 5 or six missed tackles the coverage team, what other missed tackles were there?

4. I 100% agree.

1. Jones said some of the throws look off because the WR, in particular North, didn't run the route correctly. But I do think Worley's arm is suspect. However going 11 of 13 for 104 yards and 3 TDs is still pretty good. He made excellent decisions and it was decision making that probably won him the starting job. I think WKU will be a little better opponent in order to truly evaluate him.

2. I saw plenty of running through contact and broken tackles. Neal had 141 yards rushing on 16 carries and a TD, Lane had 38 yards on 6 carries and 2 TDs, and that was in the first half only. Even Summerhill in the second half had 67 yards on 9 carries. Not sure if there really more yards to be had, especially with our starting unit.

3. Except for that one KO which had like 5 or six missed tackles the coverage team, what other missed tackles were there?

4. I 100% agree.

To quote Fulmer, "I'd have to look at the film", but I know of another couple of kicks in the first half that went for significant yardage. I realize I'm being a little picky but Neal in particular didn't get much after contact. Several times I thought he should have busted for a few more yards. As to Worley, I thought he did ok. The pass to Devrin in the end zone was very risky. I thought it was a bad decision but it worked out. On the long ball to North the ball was severely under thrown into double coverage but again it worked out. I think we'll see substantial improvement this week.

To quote Fulmer, "I'd have to look at the film", but I know of another couple of kicks in the first half that went for significant yardage. I realize I'm being a little picky but Neal in particular didn't get much after contact. Several times I thought he should have busted for a few more yards. As to Worley, I thought he did ok. The pass to Devrin in the end zone was very risky. I thought it was a bad decision but it worked out. On the long ball to North the ball was severely under thrown into double coverage but again it worked out. I think we'll see substantial improvement this week.

Coach Jones actually said the throw to Devrin was a good play. Said that Worley was under pressure from a free rusher, didn't panic, and knew where Devrin was supposed to be and got the ball to him. Granted it wasn't the best throw, but it does show that Worley knows the playbook pretty well if the coach was giving praise for knowing where receivers are supposed to be.

Reactions: 1 person
Here is what I took from this:

--APSU is the worst team UT has played in my lifetime
--UT's running backs get what the OL gets them and very little else.
--UT is weaker than originally thought in the passing game (Worley had all day and was still not accurate enough to hit WRs in stride consistently)
--UT does not have a home run hitter on offense
--UT's LB corps still struggles in pass coverage
--The UT Fr DB has a lot of talent but plays like a Fr and will get beat earning lessons
--UT's problem is in experience in many areas, talent in a few areas, depth in all areas,
--UT is a very well coached team. This is the right group of coaches.
--UT will do well to finish 6-6 but the future is bright. Better days are coming.
Well said but this is a work in progress and that's what you just described. I hope to see the play makers emerging in this game. It's possible receivers made Worley miss a couple of times by not being on route. North and Worley may get it done in this game.

Reactions: 1 person
This is only a 6-6 team if we don't improve and mature. We should be a lot more experienced and battle-tested by November, which is when we have the opportunity to run the gauntlet. Dooley's teams might have given up by then, but I expect this staff will keep Team 117 motivated and focused. AU, Mizzou, Vandy and UK don't seem unbeatable after Oregon, UF, UGA, Bama and SCAR. The real season starts with WKU. We show well this Saturday, and I still expect 7-5 and a bowl win. JMO.

Coach Jones actually said the throw to Devrin was a good play. Said that Worley was under pressure from a free rusher, didn't panic, and knew where Devrin was supposed to be and got the ball to him. Granted it wasn't the best throw, but it does show that Worley knows the playbook pretty well if the coach was giving praise for knowing where receivers are supposed to be.

I can agree with that but the pass was in the air a long time and I could see a faster, SEC defense picking one like that off. But it worked out for him.

I loved the enthusiasm and attitude from our team! That was great to see but let's be honest. All the "rah rah sis boom bah" stuff only carries you so far. Eventually talent, depth, and execution takes over. We looked like a well disciplined team that's fairly talented in the 1's and woefully thin in talent in the 2's and 3's. It is what it is. 6-6.

It was widely stated that many of the 2s never set foot on the field. You expect a larger drop-off between 1s and 3s.

Did no one notice every ball carrier take the ball to the refs after they were tackled? Is a very small thing, but I think it shows respect for the refs and it could benefit us with a few calls in tight games. Maybe not. I just thought that it showed another example of how v this team is very well coached and disciplined. The late throws weren't just Worley's fault. Some routes weren't ran correctly. That can mess up timing also. I look forward to seeing the ones play a better team this Saturday. I'll be there to cheer them on!

I noticed that. On one play our ball carrier (don't remember who) dropped the ball after the play, took a step away, turned and picked it up to take to the ref. I thought this was both classy and a sign that they respect what CBJ deems important.

I noticed that. On one play our ball carrier (don't remember who) dropped the ball after the play, took a step away, turned and picked it up to take to the ref. I thought this was both classy and a sign that they respect what CBJ deems important.

At one point (and I couldn't tell which player it was) he couldn't find a ref to give it to. He kept looking around people, lol. Finally a staff person just took it from him.

I think we'll see a big improvement from week 1 to week to 2. In the running game it'll be small things. And your right in the sense that nothing is perfect, it's the small things that will win ball games, all you can do is try to get better. I'm hoping a big step in the passing game. WRs hopefully run better routes. Even though you can't do a lot for arm strength look for Worley to improve his decision making, he wasn't perfect vs AP. I think WKU is going to try to shut down our running game and force Worley to beat them. Here's hoping he up for the challenge.

I can agree with that but the pass was in the air a long time and I could see a faster, SEC defense picking one like that off. But it worked out for him.

That was my thought exactly about the quality of the throw. I thought it took forever to get to Devrin. Worley's discipline was the bright spot on that play. Hopefully, more accurate passes are the future for him. And better route running by the receivers.

VN Store

Back