Thoughts on winning the game today

The biggest reason, IMO, this game is such a tough matchup is Mariota. With all the speedy skill players for this defense to account for they also have a QB who can outrun safeties. Thats what worries me the most honestly. This defense will have to be very disciplined just to keep them in check.

Watch for Mariota to break a few huge runs.

I feel the same way. This game depends on how Mariota performs. I just hope he has a off day.

This is going to be a good team....because it is the beginning.....of the Butch Jones era....we more than likely will not win, but the effort on the field will speak volumes...it will be a tough year but it will also indicate the rise from ground zero....where we have been or began in 2007. This is going to be special in the years to come.....

Couple of thoughts, I don't see the crowd being that big of a factor. Autzen holds 54,000. Neyland is almost double that size. Yes, we've only played in friendly environments thus far, but I don't see that being a big problem, especially since CBJ has gone out of his way to make the team "comfortable with being uncomfortable."

Secondly, it would be good if Oregon controlled the time of possession. That would mean we were forcing them to drive it on us and that we weren't giving up big plays, as has been their M.O. for so long. I think we will win TOS because we will have to have long drives in order to score.

My question is why does anyone waste time watching the junk produced on that show called College Gameday? I can't stand Fowler, Corso, Desmond, and Pollack. Herbie is ok when calling a game.

Reactions: 2 people
We are Tennessee, of course we'll be back, it starts this year! Just remember Rome wasn't built in a day. Its going to take time, we didn't get here overnight.

We all pretty much know what will happen today, all i want to see is 60 mins of no quit football from our Vols. At the end of the day, that's all we can ask for.

Go Vols!

Hamilton was not the emperor either.

The college game IS HAVING a speedy QB who can run. Any QB who can run, whether you run spread or not, is an advantage--and yet we've had a series of QBs who can make nothing happen with their feet. It's another of the reasons why we are in the shape we are in. How do you think Oregon and Boise State built their programs from nothing? By running dynamic offenses while the Vols have played their usual predictable style with unathletic Qbs.

Winning formula for the Vols:
We have to play perfect in all phases. Oregon has to play awful. It's that simple.

CBJ has already done more for Tennessee football than Dooley did in 3 years. It will turn around. But the painful times are not over yet.

Ok...tell us about all the stuff CBJ has already done bud

Did CBJ...

Take over a team that was on their 3rd coach in 3 yrs?

Took over a team full of drama and troublemakers??

Take over the bldg of the new state of the art athletic facility?

Came on campus and found the NCAA had rented out the office next to his??

Was he hired by an AD on his last leg??

Did he walk onto campus with about 20 scholarship players short of the allow amount?? With what a 5th year QB that ended up leaving so had to start the season with a Freshman and a JUCO transfer??

An Athletic Dept that was in shambles and broke??

Oh yeah and taking all the above over for $1.8-1.9mil a year. One of the lowest pd coaches in the conference...at Tennessee!!

And CBJ did much much much more for UT than just the above right??

This is a serious question bud. I would love for u to convince me that CBJ has done so much more for UT in such a short period of time. I really would love to hear it, so I hope I get more than the typical..."go be a fan of another team" or "I see ur still on ur knees in front of Dooley". So please I beg u convince me otherwise bud.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

The college game IS HAVING a speedy QB who can run. Any QB who can run, whether you run spread or not, is an advantage--and yet we've had a series of QBs who can make nothing happen with their feet. It's another of the reasons why we are in the shape we are in. How do you think Oregon and Boise State built their programs from nothing? By running dynamic offenses while the Vols have played their usual predictable style with unathletic Qbs.

Peyton Manning was not a running QB. Tee Martin for the most part was not either. Neither was the Ice Man.

We did OK during those years, no?

Did CBJ...

Did he walk onto campus with about 20 scholarship players short of the allow amount?? With what a 5th year QB that ended up leaving so had to start the season with a Freshman and a JUCO transfer??

Oh yeah and taking all the above over for $1.8-1.9mil a year. One of the lowest pd coaches in the conference...at Tennessee!!

This is a serious question bud. I would love for u to convince me that CBJ has done so much more for UT in such a short period of time. I really would love to hear it, so I hope I get more than the typical..."go be a fan of another team" or "I see ur still on ur knees in front of Dooley". So please I beg u convince me otherwise bud.

CBJ has the #2 recruiting class in the nation. You know, actually convincing players to come to UT by NOT being an inept @sshole. Dooley never did that.

I have 1000 dollars that says CBJ will not be losing to Kentucky.

And if you're trying to convince me that Dooley had it worse when he took over the program than CBJ after Dooley destroyed it, you need to get your head out of your @ss.

CBJ has the #2 recruiting class in the nation. You know, actually convincing players to come to UT by NOT being an inept @sshole. Dooley never did that.

I have 1000 dollars that says CBJ will not be losing to Kentucky.

And if you're trying to convince me that Dooley had it worse when he took over the program than CBJ after Dooley destroyed it, you need to get your head out of your @ss.

Just like thought....a stupid ignorant response. Really u bring the #2 recruiting class that hasn't been signed yet to the argument?? Like that compares anywhere close to anything on my list. And a bet to not lose to KY that's proves ur pt bud. :thumbsup: :ermm:

U do realize that the program was destroyed way before Dooley took it over right???

I'm not trying to convince of u of anything, but remind u that u are a fool for making the comment u made. Which u did a great job of confirming with ur response.

Reactions: 1 person

Did CBJ...

u mad bro? :huh:

This game reminds me of our trip to Miami. The Canes hadn't lost at home for years. No one gave a chance. It can happen.

BTW.......... ESPN said we have lost 16 in a row to ranked opponents. NCST was ranked when we beat them.

NCST wasn't ranked when we played them.

I'm going to laugh my butt off when we win this thing and Game Day already committed to go to North Dakota St. next week.

....and 95% of VN will have proven they know very little about the game of football.:eek:lol:

j/k

This is what Tennessee Vols Football is all about big games on the national stage. We may be down but we are still Tennessee we may not win today but this team does not quit, we will play hard for 4 quarters and Oregon will remember Team #117

Couple of thoughts, I don't see the crowd being that big of a factor. Autzen holds 54,000. Neyland is almost double that size. Yes, we've only played in friendly environments thus far, but I don't see that being a big problem, especially since CBJ has gone out of his way to make the team "comfortable with being uncomfortable."

Secondly, it would be good if Oregon controlled the time of possession. That would mean we were forcing them to drive it on us and that we weren't giving up big plays, as has been their M.O. for so long. I think we will win TOS because we will have to have long drives in order to score.

Autzen is the loudest stadium in the country in terms if decibels. The crowd will definitely be a factor. I read in the paper a guy describing as "you can't feel your feet on the ground but you know you're standing" it's gonna be LOUD.

Just like thought....a stupid ignorant response. Really u bring the #2 recruiting class that hasn't been signed yet to the argument?? Like that compares anywhere close to anything on my list. And a bet to not lose to KY that's proves ur pt bud. :thumbsup: :ermm:

U do realize that the program was destroyed way before Dooley took it over right???

I'm not trying to convince of u of anything, but remind u that u are a fool for making the comment u made. Which u did a great job of confirming with ur response.

You're still defending a coach that was the worst in Tennessee history and was fired with year(s) left on his contract before the end of the season. So that in itself speaks to your ignorance. The fact that you're doing that also means that you cant be any more than 16 years old. Because if you saw UT football before 2008 you wouldnt even attempt to defend Dooley.

Dooley did NOTHING, I mean NOT ONE THING that was positive for UT football. His players hated him and quit on him. He never beat a single football team that was decent. That isn't the case with CBJ. The players love what he stands for.

CBJ inherited the WORST Tennessee football program of all time and he is still pulling in players that Dooley never ever could. That in itself is more than enough to say he has done more for Tennessee than Dooley.

VN Store

Back