Tidbits from Cincinatti's passing stats last year

Benchwarmer

Here are some gleanings from Butch's Cincinatti team last year in the passing game. I apologize in advance if I got any info wrong.

Six players had double digit receptions for the year. Here are the players names, positions, and # of receptions and total yards.

Travis Kelce TE 45 722
Kenbrell Thompkins WR 34 541
Anthony McClung WR 34 539
RD Abernathy RB 28 341
Damon Julian WR 24 377
George Winn RB 15 128

Only seven of the 17 WR's on the roster caught a pass last year. Not sure how many of the 17 were walk-ons or redshirts.

The top three WR's caught 81.4% of the passes caught by wide receivers.

Cincinatti threw 371 passes last year, completing 210. They averaged 238.8 yards per game through the air.

They had a roughly equal number of first downs on the ground and through the air. They had 25 touchdowns rushing and 25 passing. Although Cincy and their opponents had roughly the same number of first downs for the year, Cincy averaged 32.3 points per game, and their opponents only 18.5.

The Bearcats ran 863 plays in 13 games for an average of 66.4 plays per game. Their opponents ran 957 plays for an average of 73.6 plays per game.

So, what does all that mean for the 2013 Vols? Maybe nothing.

Reactions: 3 people
Here are some gleanings from Butch's Cincinatti team last year in the passing game. I apologize in advance if I got any info wrong.

Six players had double digit receptions for the year. Here are the players names, positions, and # of receptions and total yards.

Travis Kelce TE 45 722
RD Abernathy RB 28 341
Damon Julian WR 24 377
George Winn RB 15 128

Only seven of the 17 WR's on the roster caught a pass last year. Not sure how many of the 17 were walk-ons or redshirts.

Cincinatti threw 371 passes last year, completing 210. They averaged 238.8 yards per game through the air.

They had a roughly equal number of first downs on the ground and through the air. They had 25 touchdowns rushing and 25 passing. Although Cincy and their opponents had roughly the same number of first downs for the year, Cincy averaged 32.3 points per game, and their opponents only 18.5.

The Bearcats ran 863 plays in 13 games for an average of 66.4 plays per game. Their opponents ran 957 plays for an average of 73.6 plays per game.

Nice work breaking this down. But each season for the same team is different, much less trying to compare different teams with the same coach.

Reactions: 2 people

Travis Kelce TE 45 722
RD Abernathy RB 28 341
Damon Julian WR 24 377
George Winn RB 15 128

Thanks for giving Saban a breakdown of our team. Genius move. (I get that Saban isn't reading this crap, it was sarcasm.)

Its means we might not be quite as hurry up as everybody believes we will be.

One of the more interesting tidbits from last year's Cincy team is that two quarterbacks each played in 11 games. Don't know who QB'd the other two games.

And the backup didn't just get a few plays in. One QB threw 230 passes and the other 138 passes.

Will we see two quarterbacks in each game this year?

Travis Kelce TE 45 722
RD Abernathy RB 28 341
Damon Julian WR 24 377
George Winn RB 15 128

nothing. Vols first year in system so their understanding / learning of this offense far less than last years Bearcats.. don't expect anything close to those numbers.

How many of those games were versus SEC teams week in and out??

CBJ will have to learn to adjust accordingly. So no need to compare. Fresh slate.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

One of the more interesting tidbits from last year's Cincy team is that two quarterbacks each played in 11 games. Don't know who QB'd the other two games.

And the backup didn't just get a few plays in. One QB threw 230 passes and the other 138 passes.

Will we see two quarterbacks in each game this year?

Just to clarify - Munchie Legaux played the first 8 games and Brandon Kay Played the last 5 games. I don't know the reason for the switch but it wasn't a 2 QB system.

Update:

Tragically, a college football All-Namer has been shown the bench because of inconsistent performance.

Cincinnati coach Butch Jones said Saturday morning that starting quarterback Munchie Legaux will be replaced by backup Brendon Kay for todayÂ’s game at Temple. Legaux, who started the first eight games of this season and filled in for an injured Zach Collaros last year, has been struggling mightily the past few weeks. Legaux was actually benched last week against Syracuse for poor play, paving the way for Kay to lead the Bearcats to a 35-24 victory.

Kay doesnÂ’t have many meaningful snaps to his resume, but he did go 3-for-3 against the Orange with a touchdown pass.

Cincinnati needs a win over the Owls today to become bowl eligible since the Bearcats played two 1-AA opponents this season. A win would also keep UC in the Big East title conversation despite a loss to undefeated Louisville. Of the BearcatsÂ’ four remaining games, only one (Rutgers) comes against a team with a winning record.

Cincy QB Munchie Legaux gets benched in favor of backup Kay | CollegeFootballTalk

Last edited:
Just to clarify - Munchie Legaux played the first 8 games and Brandon Kay Played the last 5 games. I don't know the reason for the switch but it wasn't a 2 QB system.

Munchie was throwing too many picks. Lost the game against Louisville because of it.

Here's a tidbit for you, "it was the big east" people. Yes, it was the Big East and he coached a Big East team. He took care of business in the Big East. Now he coaches an SEC team in the SEC. Some of you act like CBJ brought Cincinatti with him to the SEC and that they joined the conference.

Reactions: 11 people
But ...but ... I thought we were going to be a power running team n not throw every down...lol

New team n sec .. if he throws a ton we lose a ton.. have to run the ball at will to win n sec....

Travis Kelce TE 45 722
RD Abernathy RB 28 341
Damon Julian WR 24 377
George Winn RB 15 128

17 WR's on the roster....Is this normal? Seems like a lot to me.

But ...but ... I thought we were going to be a power running team n not throw every down...lol

New team n sec .. if he throws a ton we lose a ton.. have to run the ball at will to win n sec....

In all fairness...25 rushing TDs against 25 passing. Pretty balanced. That's important in this league. Doesn't matter what scheme you run, you better be pretty balanced IMO.

I think from looking at his past teams ..he will be balanced ...which is what you REALLY need to be to win the SEC ,

Reactions: 3 people
The only red flag I see out of Cincy's QB situation is that Butch stuck with Munchie WAY too long...we don't see the practice reps and the other evaluation tools used in making that decision, but it's obvious, with the technology of hindsight, that Kay picks them up 3 to 4 extra wins...maybe even Louisville. I hope he applies this learning experience with his QB decision decision this season....check that...I know he will :crossfingers:

The info you got wrong is learning how to spell Cincinnati...yes I live up here. Google it, that will help you out if you don't know how to spell it!

VN Store

Back