Tidbits from Cincinatti's passing stats last year

What I like best about those numbers is that the three Cincy seasons show no hard-headedness. 2012 had a tight end lead the team, with no wideout catching more than 34, but the tight end averaged over 16 a catch. Also the top 2 rbs combined for 43 catches.

In 2011 the top 2 tight ends only had 25 catches between them (still averaging about what the WRs did per catch); 3 wrs and Isaiah Pead (RB, of course) caught between 37 and 49 each.

In 2010 Armon Binns caught 75 and DJ Woods caught 57, which accounted for more than half the completions. The TE and Pead both still caught more than 20, but averaged less than 10 a catch.

He also loves to continue to feed a runner once he's found one he really likes.

All this says to me that he plays to his strengths.

Reactions: 1 person
The only red flag I see out of Cincy's QB situation is that Butch stuck with Munchie WAY too long...we don't see the practice reps and the other evaluation tools used in making that decision, but it's obvious, with the technology of hindsight, that Kay picks them up 3 to 4 extra wins...maybe even Louisville. I hope he applies this learning experience with his QB decision decision this season....check that...I know he will :crossfingers:

Yes / No > I think we learned that CBJ offense will work for either a dual threat or a drop back QB.

Having said that maybe he did stay with his QB too long but the last thing you want is a quick trigger when pulling a QB, that is a quick way to loose QB confidence. :good!:

One last thought, I did notice that Cincinnati was projected to finish 2nd in the Big East behind Louisville.

Last edited:
Maybe Downs is poised for a breakout season. I think he is a talented pass catcher if he can just stay healthy (which he hasn't proved).

But ...but ... I thought we were going to be a power running team n not throw every down...lol

New team n sec .. if he throws a ton we lose a ton.. have to run the ball at will to win n sec....

What in the heck are you even talking about? This is a thread that listed his passing stats. It didn't even discuss the run/pass ratio (which was 56%-44% and 55%-45% run-pass in 2011 and 2012 respectively).

But that’s where the similarities end. At their core, Kelly ran a more pass-centric system while Jones a run-centric offense. In 2012 the Bearcats ran the ball 55% of the time, a mark only bested the year prior when Cincinnati ran it 56% of the time.

Evaluating The Cincinnati Bearcats’ New Offense With Pro-Style Formations
Please try to keep up with what's being discussed. just because someone discusses passing stats does not mean those are all the stats on the years in question.

Last edited:
But ...but ... I thought we were going to be a power running team n not throw every down...lol

New team n sec .. if he throws a ton we lose a ton.. have to run the ball at will to win n sec....

not entirely true, we scored almost 40 a game last year....had we had any kind of defense last year we are easily 10-2.

We had a horrible running game last year. And pretty much threw on every opportunity we were given. Our defense was the problem.

Doesn't matter if you only run or only pass as long as you score.

I wouldnt glean too much from this - part of the reason you see the RB/TE targeting is their QB play was really poor

another reason is Kelce just happened to be their most gifted receiver

in other years you see very low production from the top TE

he will shift to our strengths and so you will see a different focus from year to year

not entirely true, we scored almost 40 a game last year....had we had any kind of defense last year we are easily 10-2.

We had a horrible running game last year. And pretty much threw on every opportunity we were given. Our defense was the problem.

Doesn't matter if you only run or only pass as long as you score.

I don't think the run game was horrible. it was solid considering there was no commitment to it. 160ypg. Middle of the road in the SEC and the country. Should be better now. That run-pass ratio excited me. In so ready to see UT running the ball first again.

Here are some gleanings from Butch's Cincinatti team last year in the passing game. I apologize in advance if I got any info wrong.

Six players had double digit receptions for the year. Here are the players names, positions, and # of receptions and total yards.

Travis Kelce TE 45 722
Kenbrell Thompkins WR 34 541
Anthony McClung WR 34 539
RD Abernathy RB 28 341
Damon Julian WR 24 377
George Winn RB 15 128

Only seven of the 17 WR's on the roster caught a pass last year. Not sure how many of the 17 were walk-ons or redshirts.

The top three WR's caught 81.4% of the passes caught by wide receivers.

Cincinatti threw 371 passes last year, completing 210. They averaged 238.8 yards per game through the air.

They had a roughly equal number of first downs on the ground and through the air. They had 25 touchdowns rushing and 25 passing. Although Cincy and their opponents had roughly the same number of first downs for the year, Cincy averaged 32.3 points per game, and their opponents only 18.5.

The Bearcats ran 863 plays in 13 games for an average of 66.4 plays per game. Their opponents ran 957 plays for an average of 73.6 plays per game.

So, what does all that mean for the 2013 Vols? Maybe nothing.

I would expect more plays than the opponent with the tempo of the offense.

The only red flag I see out of Cincy's QB situation is that Butch stuck with Munchie WAY too long...we don't see the practice reps and the other evaluation tools used in making that decision, but it's obvious, with the technology of hindsight, that Kay picks them up 3 to 4 extra wins...maybe even Louisville. I hope he applies this learning experience with his QB decision decision this season....check that...I know he will :crossfingers:

Well, to be fair, people were saying Kiffin stuck with Crompton for too long. That is, until the UGA game.

I can understand why a coach would want to stick with a guy for a while to see if it clicks. Maybe it clicked in practice and Jones was just giving Legaux a change to let it click in game? Legaux looked to start out well then he regressed in the Toledo/Louisville games. Started bad against Syracuse and was pulled.

Can't really fault Jones for that. Bad game, it happens. Another bad game, you're on notice. Start poorly and you're out.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back