Tilt, and the battle for field position

crazyguy

Offense U
I was reading this article just now and the part on the Texans acquiring veteran punter Lechler to give them just that extra edge that they're fighting for reminded me of Tennessee teams of the past. Back when times were good- It seemed that our teams played like that....a team. We had the punters and the defense to give the offense a chance. There were a few years there where we had just that extra bit of talent to put teams away in the 4th quarter.

All this reminiscing also made me a little sad at the same time. I believe that we are headed in the right direction with Butch Jones. I also believe that he is going to do a much better job than our previous HFC. But it's going to take a couple of years until we have the base of talent that something like a good punter can be all you need to put you over the edge.

Don't lose hopeful Volnation, brighter days are coming.

I hope.
:peace2:

Reactions: 4 people
You got it, it starts with the kicking game, we could not hit a 20 yard field goal the last few years.

Be nice to have another David leaverton. 65 yarders witha 5.5 second hang time occasionally. That Lsu punter prob got the strongest leg around now.

This year is definatly gonna be tough with the schedule, new coaches, new system, new QB, etc. I'm ready to see how team 114 handles all the changes.

It's all phases of the kicking game. Teams like UF and Va Tech change games with their kicking and returns. I heard a stat that UF's "net" average was over 40 yards per punt. Again, their team wasn't supposed to be that good but when your punt team averages over 40 yards, that certainly helps keep the other teams O on their side of the field.

UT may not be that great on O & D, but a good kicking game can help level the playing field.

Reactions: 1 person
It's all phases of the kicking game. Teams like UF and Va Tech change games with their kicking and returns. I heard a stat that UF's "net" average was over 40 yards per punt. Again, their team wasn't supposed to be that good but when your punt team averages over 40 yards, that certainly helps keep the other teams O on their side of the field.

UT may not be that great on O & D, but a good kicking game can help level the playing field.

Coaching on special teams has been awesome for years. Even through coaching changes.

There are years where a ridiculous percentage of punts allow no return yardage

Great! 6 posts and a mention of Vandy. Good grief, people, give it a rest.

Yes, George Cafego hated Vandy....nearly 100 years ago. I'm willing to bet that George Cafego's name has been brought up more since Franklin arrived in Nashville than all the previous years combined on this board.

Last edited:
Coaching on special teams has been awesome for years. Even through coaching changes.

There are years where a ridiculous percentage of punts allow no return yardage

How many returns has UF had against UT that changed the dynamic of the game?

I think UF had fewer than 5 punts returned last year. I could be wrong on that, but it wasn't many.

How many returns has UF had against UT that changed the dynamic of the game?

I think UF had fewer than 5 punts returned last year. I could be wrong on that, but it wasn't many.

On the flip side, I don't remember the last time Tennessee had a decent punt return against florida

Great! 5 posts and a mention of Vandy. Good grief, people, give it a rest.

Yes, George Cafego hated Vandy....nearly 100 years ago. I'm willing to bet that George Cafego's name has been brought up more since Franklin arrived in Nashville than all the previous years combined on this board.

I only see one post in this thread where they're mentioned.

On the flip side, I don't remember the last time Tennessee had a decent punt return against florida

I can't either, but when you've lost 8 in a row, any great return would be over-shadowed.

VN Store

Back