TN’s TCAP - 3rd Grade Retention

So, let's say there's a statewide voucher program (which is the ultimate goal of this legislation). What do you do when private schools essentially become gov't funded?

Home schooling??

I think you just get a stratified private system. Vouchers aren’t going to be enough at some schools. Those schools would become the new “real” private schools.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
@BigOrangeMojo you bring up some interesting points on all of this. I still think kids would be better served in these lower tier voucher dominated private schools. Part of the blessing of a private school is getting disconnected from all the government red tape. I’ve seen some discipline issues with kids at ours. The school just told them bye. Doesn’t sound like much, but I think that is huge. Sets the tone for behavior and there weren’t hearings, procedures, etc.

I think you just get a stratified private system. Vouchers aren’t going to be enough at some schools. Those schools would become the new “real” private schools.

St. George is a private school near my house. It costs ~$22K per year for elementary school. If there is a $15K voucher program, this school would likely bump its tuition up to 34-37K, correct?

St. George is a private school near my house. It costs ~$22K per year for elementary school. If there is a $15K voucher program, this school would likely bump its tuition up to 34-37K, correct?

I would guess. Probably be like the arms race we have seen in colleges. Colleges have popped up everywhere and the established ones like big state schools (UT) have turned into country clubs. Due to all the easy money allocated to borrowers.

I will also add, while everyone is pissed about the unintended consequences of this legislation. I don’t see a lot of anger over the fact that a TON of kids failed a standardized test. Where is the anger over that.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
I would guess. Probably be like the arms race we have seen in colleges. Colleges have popped up everywhere and the established ones like big state schools (UT) have turned into country clubs. Due to all the easy money allocated to borrowers.

I will also add, while everyone is pissed about the unintended consequences of this legislation. I don’t see a lot of anger over the fact that a TON of kids failed a standardized test. Where is the anger over that.
There are allegations that the test is somewhat rigged because the teachers aren’t allowed to show what the questions are or they’ll lose their teaching licenses. I do find it interesting that all the parents can ever see are the results. Why is it top secret?

Reactions: allvol123
There are allegations that the test is somewhat rigged because the teachers aren’t allowed to show what the questions are or they’ll lose their teaching licenses. I do find it interesting that all the parents can ever see are the results. Why is it top secret?

I was curious about that. But surely the teachers know what to teach in order to pass this thing?

Also, other than this year, what is the normal pass fail rate on this test?????

I was curious about that. But surely the teachers know what to teach in order to pass this thing?

I honestly have no clue. There are definitely some questions that need to be answered regarding TCAP tests. But it just backs up what you said, and that’s get your kids out of public schools. These poor children are being used as pawns.

Reactions: allvol123

This is the first year of the “retention”.

First steps to solving the issues:
Defund the DOE
Ban teachers unions
Send Randi Weingarten’s worthless ass to a different country

The disastrous covid policies have set back some of these kids for life. Wearing masks and distancing at crucial times for early childhood development.

I heard a 30 second sound clip on the radio today with some woman ranting how none of this was the administrators or teachers fault. Ok, can we try to be honest for once.

VN Store

Back