'25 TN ATH Daune Morris (USC commit)

I wasn’t talking about IF’s - it was you who proposed them.

- What if Sampson jumps
- What if Keith leaves

I simply entertained them.

Is Desean Bishop incapable of contributing to the depth given his scholarship status?
Bishop will contribute greatly this season.
He's ahead of Keith on the depth chart right now. I think Sampson needs a tremendous season in order to enter the draft, but many think he goes regardless. In the current portal era we're currently in, assuming Keith stays for a third season being fourth on the depth chart would be reckless if you don't have a back up plan. From all early indications, Lewis could very well surpass everyone by next season(if Sampson leaves). I think my "IF's" are very valid. These would have been valid concerns when I was in a college RB room long before the portal existed. They are definitely valid concerns now. None of us know how this season turns out, or who could be injured and who steps up. Much of this could change things drastically. But as of today, you have to recruit in order to account for the most valid "IF's".

Reactions: norrislakevol
I wasn’t talking about IF’s - it was you who proposed them.

- What if Sampson jumps
- What if Keith leaves

I simply entertained them.

Is Desean Bishop incapable of contributing to the depth given his scholarship status?
It wouldn’t surprise me if Keith left. AP has hinted he is buried on the depth chart. Bishop seems to be impressing the coaches more and more. He may very well be RB#2

Bishop will contribute greatly this season.
He's ahead of Keith on the depth chart right now. I think Sampson needs a tremendous season in order to enter the draft, but many think he goes regardless. In the current portal era we're currently in, assuming Keith stays for a third season being fourth on the depth chart would be reckless if you don't have a back up plan. From all early indications, Lewis could very well surpass everyone by next season(if Sampson leaves). I think my "IF's" are very valid. These would have been valid concerns when I was in a college RB room long before the portal existed. They are definitely valid concerns now. None of us know how this season turns out, or who could be injured and who steps up. Much of this could change things drastically. But as of today, you have to recruit in order to account for the most valid "IF's".
I didn’t say your IF’s weren’t valid. I said I didn’t propose them.

I then simply pointed out what the situation would be if they all came to fruition: 4 serviceable backs on the roster heading into the following season.

I have much greater faith in finding a depth RB in the portal than I do a contributing S.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Keith left. AP has hinted he is buried on the depth chart. Bishop seems to be impressing the coaches more and more. He may very well be RB#2
He might.

IF he does, Bishop is likely as advertised and forms a talented trio with 2 former Top150 players, plus a quality freshman at #4.

I then simply pointed out what the situation would be if they all came to fruition: 4 serviceable backs on the roster heading into the following season.

I have much greater faith in finding a depth RB in the portal than I do a contributing S.
I think going into the 2025 season with only 4 backs would be ill advised by the staff. Especially since 3 of the 4 have already been injured at some point before THIS season.

We play too many backs to have that few scholarship RBs on the roster. At a minimum we need to be at 5 like this season but we probably want 6 to cover all contingencies.

I think going into the 2025 season with only 4 backs would be ill advised by the staff. Especially since 3 of the 4 have already been injured at some point before THIS season.

We play too many backs to have that few scholarship RBs on the roster. At a minimum we need to be at 5 like this season but we probably want 6 to cover all contingencies.
Where do you all come up with these narratives? Because it’s certainly not the data saying it.

3 RB accounted for 91% of carries (338/374)

3 RB accounted for 95% of carries (361/382)

3 RB accounted for 84% of carries (327/391)

It’s been a 3 back offense 90% of the time the last 3 seasons.

Where do you all come up with these narratives? Because it’s certainly not the data saying it.

3 RB accounted for 91% of carries (338/374)

3 RB accounted for 95% of carries (361/382)

3 RB accounted for 84% of carries (327/391)

It’s been a 3 back offense 90% of the time the last 3 seasons.
We play 3 backs consistently, that's what I meant by play alot of RBs. Sorry, I should stated that to avoid any confusion.

Now for 3 years you mention, we still had at least 5 scholarship backs every season. With the NCAA penalties looming and low overall team scholarship nunbers, we still carried 5 backs.

We been lucky with injuries with that room but I doubt the staff would press their luck and carry so few backs heading into a season.

We play 3 backs consistently, that's what I meant by play alot of RBs. Sorry, I should stated that to avoid any confusion.

Now for 3 years you mention, we still had at least 5 scholarship backs every season. With the NCAA penalties looming and low overall team scholarship nunbers, we still carried 5 backs.

We been lucky with injuries with that room but I doubt the staff would press their luck and carry so few backs heading into a season.
And we likely carry 5 backs next season, too.

I think the most likely scenario is Sampson jumps, and Keith stays.

Seldon
Lewis
Bishop
Keith
Baker

What do you think the realistic chances of us flipping him are?
Not sure tbh. I know he’s still talking regularly with Sims. They’ve known each other since he was at Cincinnati. If they get him on campus, I’ll probably feel really good, especially if they put Boo around him, which I imagine they will. They’ve been very intentional about player hosts the further down the process the recruits get

And we likely carry 5 backs next season, too.

I think the most likely scenario is Sampson jumps, and Keith stays.

Seldon
Lewis
Bishop
Keith
Baker
Big year for Cam, Lewis, and Bishop this upcoming season. All 3 relatively unknown even though everyone is high on Cam (including myself). We need 2 of them to take a big step this fall.

If Samp gets 1200 all purpose yards he definitely gone imo.

Big year for Cam, Lewis, and Bishop this upcoming season. All 3 relatively unknown even though everyone is high on Cam (including myself). We need 2 of them to take a big step this fall.

If Samp gets 1200 all purpose yards he definitely gone imo.
I don’t think he’ll have that many yards, and I think he’ll be on our team in 2025 too.

Then the real question in this hypothetical is if the alternative is taking a freshman S over a freshman RB, how much faith do you have that the freshman S is a contributor in year 1?

Reactions: NighthawkVol
I don’t think he’ll have that many yards, and I think he’ll be on our team in 2025 too.
Really? He had nearly 800 all-purpose yards on only 123 touches, last season as the #2/#3 option. As the main, and only real experienced, option, you give him 180-200 touches, 1200 total yards isn't really a tough sell. He had 61 touches as a freshman and put up 421 yards.

I'm sure the rebuttal to this is that no back in Heupel's Tennessee tenure has eclipsed 1200 total yards or 180 touches, but he's always had 3 experienced/capable backs, too. Maybe Seldon/Lewis/Bishop eat into Sampson's ability to manage 180 touches, but those guys all come with question marks about health and/or experience. If Sampson manages to get to 180 touches, I'll bet he hits that 1200 mark, but I'll concede that it may be tough to get him to 180 if Seldon and/or Bishop remain healthy and Lewis doesn't have issues with blocking, or something like that.

Non sequitur

We don’t carry 1 QB
We won’t carry 3 RB

But the idea that this offense demands 5 or 6 RB simply isn’t backed up by the data.
Perhaps. They feel they get more bang for the buck via portal for secondary players vs spending for a RB. Thus you target RB more via high school. I’m sure they have an idea what they need and how hard it is to get in high school vs portal. To me I feel like we need more safety’s ready to play now, and you’re not getting that from a freshman.

Watch the fourth quarter. This kid is special and will be a star this year

No doubt that Sampson is special. I also think he'll have a really good season(rushing &receiving). I have no concerns with him as a college RB. The question was more about his draft stock and if he would potentially go in the first 3 rounds or not. He has a lot of AK to his game, but he still has questions about his pass protection. The added weight he's put on should help, but he got completely destroyed in pass pro a couple of times in the bowl game against Iowa.

VN Store

Back