'25 TN ATH Daune Morris (USC commit)

I think if you’re a RB and stand a chance of going in the top 4/5 rounds you should go. Unless a school can pay a few million to keep you another year.

With 1000/ 12 td’s he’s getting drafted by round 4 and that yardage is my conservative estimate. He’s got unproven (albeit talented) backs behind him and he’s arguably the most proven back CJH has ever had coming into the starting role, we are going to give him a lot of carries. we aren’t giving him much run during fall camp for a reason, he’s about to work horse for us

Then the real question in this hypothetical is if the alternative is taking a freshman S over a freshman RB, how much faith do you have that the freshman S is a contributor in year 1?
Very little.

The only way Safety gets fixed is through recruiting.

The only thing that needs “fixed” with regards to RB is a depth piece to fulfill the need of 5 or 6 backs this offense demands - you can easily get that in the portal.

I think if you’re a RB and stand a chance of going in the top 4/5 rounds you should go. Unless a school can pay a few million to keep you another year.

With 1000/ 12 td’s he’s getting drafted by round 4 and that yardage is my conservative estimate. He’s got unproven (albeit talented) backs behind him and he’s arguably the most proven back CJH has ever had coming into the starting role, we are going to give him a lot of carries. we aren’t giving him much run during fall camp for a reason, he’s about to work horse for us
Cody Schrader lit up the SEC last year and went undrafted. Wright was the first SEC RB drafted, and that wasn't until the 4th round.

No doubt that Sampson is special. I also think he'll have a really good season(rushing &receiving). I have no concerns with him as a college RB. The question was more about his draft stock and if he would potentially go in the first 3 rounds or not. He has a lot of AK to his game, but he still has questions about his pass protection. The added weight he's put on should help, but he got completely destroyed in pass pro a couple of times in the bowl game against Iowa.
A lot of AK in his game it’s scary.

Just a little smaller unfortunately.

Really? He had nearly 800 all-purpose yards on only 123 touches, last season as the #2/#3 option. As the main, and only real experienced, option, you give him 180-200 touches, 1200 total yards isn't really a tough sell. He had 61 touches as a freshman and put up 421 yards.

I'm sure the rebuttal to this is that no back in Heupel's Tennessee tenure has eclipsed 1200 total yards or 180 touches, but he's always had 3 experienced/capable backs, too. Maybe Seldon/Lewis/Bishop eat into Sampson's ability to manage 180 touches, but those guys all come with question marks about health and/or experience. If Sampson manages to get to 180 touches, I'll bet he hits that 1200 mark, but I'll concede that it may be tough to get him to 180 if Seldon and/or Bishop remain healthy and Lewis doesn't have issues with blocking, or something like that.
Yes. I expect us to rotate at least 3 backs just like we always have. If he received 80% to 90% of the touches, I think he could eclipse 2,000 total yards easily. He won't.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Really? He had nearly 800 all-purpose yards on only 123 touches, last season as the #2/#3 option. As the main, and only real experienced, option, you give him 180-200 touches, 1200 total yards isn't really a tough sell. He had 61 touches as a freshman and put up 421 yards.

I'm sure the rebuttal to this is that no back in Heupel's Tennessee tenure has eclipsed 1200 total yards or 180 touches, but he's always had 3 experienced/capable backs, too. Maybe Seldon/Lewis/Bishop eat into Sampson's ability to manage 180 touches, but those guys all come with question marks about health and/or experience. If Sampson manages to get to 180 touches, I'll bet he hits that 1200 mark, but I'll concede that it may be tough to get him to 180 if Seldon and/or Bishop remain healthy and Lewis doesn't have issues with blocking, or something like that.
Sampson was a true freshman with 61 touches. Heupel has NOT always had 3 experienced options. He has just always used 3 Rb's, even if one of them was a freshman. Lewis could be that guy this year, and I think Lewis will prove to be the best of all of our current backs over the course of his career.

Cody Schrader lit up the SEC last year and went undrafted. Wright was the first SEC RB drafted, and that wasn't until the 4th round.
Rarer and rarer that they’re taken in the early rounds. Heupel’s offense can let a rb put up a ton of yardage while at the same time letting them keep a ton of thread on the tires.

Lot of if’s

Doubt Keith transfers the staff coveted him in recruiting and like him quite a bit right now. He’ll get some good tread this year and next will be someone I suspect will score a lot of touchdowns in the red zone
How are RB pass protection and catching balls out of the backfield going?

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Sampson was a true freshman with 61 touches. Heupel has NOT always had 3 experienced options. He has just always used 3 Rb's, even if one of them was a freshman. Lewis could be that guy this year, and I think Lewis will prove to be the best of all of our current backs over the course of his career.

sampson had 85% of his carries that year against UT martin, Vandy, Akron, and Ball State. I agree partially with your assessment, but understand our season has less cupcake games than ever before. I think it likely Sampson will get more carries than any back CJH has had here thus far.

Very little.

The only way Safety gets fixed is through recruiting.

The only thing that needs “fixed” with regards to RB is a depth piece to fulfill the need of 5 or 6 backs this offense demands - you can easily get that in the portal.
I guess. That depends of the faith you have that the 7th DB you bring in is going to stick around and actually make an impact when his time comes.

sampson had 85% of his carries that year against UT martin, Vandy, Akron, and Ball State. I agree partially with your assessment, but understand our season has less cupcake games than ever before. I think it likely Sampson will get more carries than any back CJH has had here thus far.
That's preposterous. We have 4 cupcakes, just like we did Sampson's freshman year - UT Chattanooga, Kent State, UTEP and Vanderbilt.

I said experienced or capable. Sampson wasn't experienced, but proved early on that he was capable. As for the capability of Seldon/Bishop/Lewis, we've seen very little of Seldon, but obviously remain hopeful. We've seen nothing of Bishop or Lewis, but clearly have high hopes for them, as well.

My point was that it feels like this year, more than any other, we come into the season with little proven at the position besides Sampson. His backups have a combined 25 career touches. And of the backups, two of the three have been injured for much of theicitizens at Tennessee. The other is a true freshman.

Yes. I expect us to rotate at least 3 backs just like we always have. If he received 80% to 90% of the touches, I think he could eclipse 2,000 total yards easily. He won't.
180 touches across 13 games is less than 14 touches per game. That isn't really a crazy number given the lack of proven depth behind him.

Wright, Small, and Sampson had 384 combined touches, last year. Wright had 159, missing the bowl game. 180 out of 384 is slightly less than 47% of the RB touches. Seems very doable.

Reactions: All_Vol87
I guess. That depends of the faith you have that the 7th DB you bring in is going to stick around and actually make an impact when his time comes.
7th only in order of commit date. Which doesn’t make much sense.

What # DB was Lagonza Hayward in this class? # 5 or 6?

Based on historical averages, how many of the current 6 DBs in this class actually end up being any good? Maybe 3?

I’m saying grab another long, lean, athlete there. We could obviously use a few more chances there.

I was reading all these posts and forgot what thread I was in! Had to scroll back to the top and check for the name..

7th only in order of commit date. Which doesn’t make much sense.

What # DB was Lagonza Hayward in this class? # 5 or 6?

Based on historical averages, how many of the current 6 DBs in this class actually end up being any good? Maybe 3?

I’m saying grab another long, lean, athlete there. We could obviously use a few more chances there.
No, I'm saying 7th in terms of talent at the end of the day once the class is assembled.

No, I'm saying 7th in terms of talent at the end of the day once the class is assembled.
Why would we assume the 7th taken would be the 7th most talented?

David Sanders was the 4th OL taken, is he the 4th most talented?
Travis Smith was the 3rd WR taken, is he the 3rd most talented?

Why would we assume the 7th taken would be the 7th most talented?

David Sanders was the 4th OL taken, is he the 4th most talented?
Travis Smith was the 3rd WR taken, is he the 3rd most talented?
You are missing the forest for the trees in this discussion. I'm not in any way saying that the order that they commit is any sort of ranking of their ability. That's a ridiculous concept.

I'm saying that next February, when the class is assembled and signed, what are the odds that the 7th best DB of all the DBs we have signed is going to make any sort of impact? Not the 7th DB to commit in sequential order.

You are missing the forest for the trees in this discussion. I'm not in any way saying that the order that they commit is any sort of ranking of their ability. That's a ridiculous concept.

I'm saying that next February, when the class is assembled and signed, what are the odds that the 7th best DB of all the DBs we have signed is going to make any sort of impact? Not the 7th DB to commit in sequential order.
I don’t think so. Maybe you could have articulated it better then.

Who do you perceive right now as the 6th best DB we have committed?

VN Store

Back