‘23 TN ATH Max Carroll

Decent speed. Good size. Good program. Idk……..
coaches know a lot more than me. Just saying…..
Doesn’t shy away from contact either. I think he could’ve been a decent depth LB. It would’ve been nice to bring him in if for no other reason than to build a pipeline into Briarcrest. Especially with no signing limit this cycle

Doesn’t shy away from contact either. I think he could’ve been a decent depth LB. It would’ve been nice to bring him in if for no other reason than to build a pipeline into Briarcrest. Especially with no signing limit this cycle
Lol whatever dude. If we brought him in you would be talking about how it’s a waste of a spot. You are an antagonistic troll.

With no signing limit and open spots on the current roster combined with the transfer portal there’s currently no such thing as wasting a spot at Tennessee

Just maybe the staff has a pretty good feel for the LB room and did not see him project as more productive than those already committed or on the going forward roster. Bet they have a plan to manage to the 85, that number is real and forcing players you signed into the portal can have costs on the trail. You can't recruit character and preach family and not display it.

Reactions: sjt18
Just maybe the staff has a pretty good feel for the LB room and did not see him project as more productive than those already committed or on the going forward roster. Bet they have a plan to manage to the 85, that number is real and forcing players you signed into the portal can have costs on the trail. You can't recruit character and preach family and not display it.
I’m not saying they would force players into the portal. Guys that aren’t playing usually do that on their own. The truth is only about half of the 85 man roster actually contributes to on a yearly basis. It’s usually not going to matter if that 85th man is a linebacker that doesn’t play or a WR that doesn’t get on the field

I’m not saying they would force players into the portal. Guys that aren’t playing usually do that on their own. The truth is only about half of the 85 man roster actually contributes to on a yearly basis. It’s usually not going to matter if that 85th man is a linebacker that doesn’t play or a WR that doesn’t get on the field

I am sure our staff will support those that elect to find better situations elsewhere. I doubt many players don't have an accurate assessment of their status on the depth chart and can react accordingly.

That is true however I have no doubt whatsoever that every program out there now is quietly telling guys that they won't have a scholarship next year. IMO, that's why a lot of guys with no real "market value" are going into the portal. I can imagine it being particularly true of guys who can't stay out of trouble.

The portal has a "balancing" effect. I actually hope it becomes more of one. Guys with behavior issues or who were overrated are being moved out. Guys who were better than anyone thought are able to move from lesser programs to better ones.

You really need to start thinking things through or even looking at some data/evidence before saying stuff like this.

Your suggestion that only about 42 contribute is incorrect. You could easily make a list of 50 guys who without injury and without counting ST's will get meaningful playing time for UT this fall. You want that number to be higher but realistically the rest of the roster is made up of players you hope to develop before playing them. Add in special teams and you're probably looking at close to 60 players on THIS roster who will contribute.

And when you talk about "depth"... you are talking about guys whose limitation isn't their ability to contribute but their opportunity. You literally cannot waste a single scholarship on someone you do not think will become a contributor.

You really need to start thinking things through or even looking at some data/evidence before saying stuff like this.

Your suggestion that only about 42 contribute is incorrect. You could easily make a list of 50 guys who without injury and without counting ST's will get meaningful playing time for UT this fall. You want that number to be higher but realistically the rest of the roster is made up of players you hope to develop before playing them. Add in special teams and you're probably looking at close to 60 players on THIS roster who will contribute.

And when you talk about "depth"... you are talking about guys whose limitation isn't their ability to contribute but their opportunity. You literally cannot waste a single scholarship on someone you do not think will become a contributor.
Special teams usually consists of backups and players that are already in the 2 deep. The amount of players that actually play meaningful snaps are usually around 50. Which is basically the 2 deep on both sides of the ball plus the long snapper and a few extra linemen on both sides of the ball. Even if you’re getting into your 3rd string that’s less than 70 guys. Very rarely does the bottom 10-15 guys on scholarship on a roster get meaningful snaps. So taking 1 project player when there isn’t a signing limit for the next 2 cycles isn’t really going to hurt us

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Special teams usually consists of backups and players that are already in the 2 deep. The amount of players that actually play meaningful snaps are usually around 50. Which is basically the 2 deep on both sides of the ball plus the long snapper and a few extra linemen on both sides of the ball. Even if you’re getting into your 3rd string that’s less than 70 guys. Very rarely does the bottom 10-15 guys on scholarship on a roster get meaningful snaps.
You could have just acknowledged that you were wrong by saying only half the roster makes a contribution.

Ideally, you have at least 8 or 9 OL's who play competitive snaps. UT would like to go 3 deep at TE. WR should be 8 or 9. Hopefully one QB but often 2. You want at least 3 and preferably 4 RB's getting competitive snaps... but often it is more due to injury. That's at least 25 on O and you'd really like more than that on D. You want the full two deep plus 2 or 3 on the DL, 1 or 2 at LB, and maybe 3 or 4 more in the secondary. That's close to 30 guys who ideally contribute in competitive situations on D.

So taking 1 project player when there isn’t a signing limit for the next 2 cycles isn’t really going to hurt us
Yeah. It actually does unless there's a very high probability of him becoming a good contributor. You cannot waste time or resources on any of those 85 spots. If it does not hurt now it will hurt later. Whoever gets that 85th spot is an investment. You want a guy who gives you a pay back not just on the scholarship but the time and resources spent to develop him.

There are no throw away spots on that 85 man scholarship roster.

You could have just acknowledged that you were wrong by saying only half the roster makes a contribution.

Ideally, you have at least 8 or 9 OL's who play competitive snaps. UT would like to go 3 deep at TE. WR should be 8 or 9. Hopefully one QB but often 2. You want at least 3 and preferably 4 RB's getting competitive snaps... but often it is more due to injury. That's at least 25 on O and you'd really like more than that on D. You want the full two deep plus 2 or 3 on the DL, 1 or 2 at LB, and maybe 3 or 4 more in the secondary. That's close to 30 guys who ideally contribute in competitive situations on D.

Yeah. It actually does unless there's a very high probability of him becoming a good contributor. You cannot waste time or resources on any of those 85 spots. If it does not hurt now it will hurt later. Whoever gets that 85th spot is an investment. You want a guy who gives you a pay back not just on the scholarship but the time and resources spent to develop him.

There are no throw away spots on that 85 man scholarship roster.
I said “about“ not exactly. 50 out of 85 is a hell of a lot closer to “about half” than it is nearly the entire roster which you’re pretending gets meaningful playing time. Also I don’t consider a 6’3 210 pound guy with P5 offers that seems to be a solid athlete that loves to hit and plays with a mean streak a “throw away”. The reality is in today’s landscape of college football he will either pan out by his 2nd or 3rd year on campus or he will end up elsewhere via the portal and we will likely have his spot filled by a player that’s better if he doesn’t pan out. I’m not saying 10-15 spots on the roster are expendable because they most certainly aren’t, but with the transfer portal and no signing limits for the next 2 years even Tennessee can afford to gamble on 1 player. Especially when that player is from one of the top in state programs in an area we’ve struggled to find success in recruiting. Also 8-9 deep at WR is a preposterous number that I’ve never seen any team play. Especially considering we don’t like to sub during drives. That number is likely close to 5-6 guys actually playing when the game is close

I said “about“ not exactly. 50 out of 85 is a hell of a lot closer to “about half” than it is nearly the entire roster which you’re pretending gets meaningful playing time.
First sign someone has lost an discussion is when they start misrepresenting what the other person said. At no point have I said the entire roster gets PT. I said there were no spots to waste whether a guy is playing or in development. That is still true. I also said you ideally play more than 50 if you include ST's. That is also true... if you have a sound process for developing your players.

PS- 50 is about 60% of the roster and if you include ST's then you're pretty close to 75-80% of the roster making a contribution. That's nowhere near "half".

Also I don’t consider a 6’3 210 pound guy with P5 offers that seems to be a solid athlete that loves to hit and plays with a mean streak a “throw away”.
And if the staff agrees with you then maybe they'll pursue him. My point isn't personal. I don't know the kid or much about his ability or character. At this point, the staff does not seem to think he would be a good investment.

The reality is in today’s landscape of college football he will either pan out by his 2nd or 3rd year on campus or he will end up elsewhere via the portal and we will likely have his spot filled by a player that’s better if he doesn’t pan out. I’m not saying 10-15 spots on the roster are expendable because they most certainly aren’t, but with the transfer portal and no signing limits for the next 2 years even Tennessee can afford to gamble on 1 player.
Do you typically invite drama and wasted effort into your life that you do not need? Every recruit is to some extent a risk. Recruiting is risk assessment. Apparently there are things about this kid that make him a risk UT does not want to take at this point. The portal does change things. But there is a cost to using the portal and especially to make up for a recruiting mistake. You get a more proven player but also one that did not grow up in your culture or system. It will still be better to recruit guys and develop them in your program.

Especially when that player is from one of the top in state programs in an area we’ve struggled to find success in recruiting. Also 8-9 deep at WR is a preposterous number that I’ve never seen any team play. Especially considering we don’t like to sub during drives. That number is likely close to 5-6 guys actually playing when the game is close
Not at all. UT does not sub and may not use as many... or they may since developing the next starters is part of playing your depth. Seldom do you have 8-9 guys catching lots of passes. But that's not the sum of what WR's do. It is "meaningful playing time" if they go out and run their routes or get their blocking assignments done.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam2014
With no signing limit and open spots on the current roster combined with the transfer portal there’s currently no such thing as wasting a spot at Tennessee
We still are limited by 85 on scholarship. IF we sign a ton this year, I don't think we want to "process" a bunch in the future.

Exactly people think we can just give out spots with no consequence now because the 25 player limit has been removed. We have a scholarship reduction thing going on right now too
If that is true then it is ridiculous considering how many scholarships UT gave up last fall. Enough flesh has been extracted already.

So the message from the NCAA would be: "Tennessee is the model for cooperation, self-assessment, and correction... but we're going to cripple them with punishment anyway." That REALLY ought to motivate others to be transparent.

If that is true then it is ridiculous considering how many scholarships UT gave up last fall. Enough flesh has been extracted already.

So the message from the NCAA would be: "Tennessee is the model for cooperation, self-assessment, and correction... but we're going to cripple them with punishment anyway." That REALLY ought to motivate others to be transparent.

Believe that to be a UT decision, not NCAA.

UT cut 12 scholarships in 2021 as a self-imposed penalty in coach Josh Heupel’s first season, Knox News has learned. And it plans to trim a few more scholarships this season to show further contrition to the NCAA.

Tennessee football NCAA penalties: Scholarship cuts, vacated wins, Jeremy Pruitt show-cause

UT cut 12 scholarships in 2021 as a self-imposed penalty in coach Josh Heupel’s first season, Knox News has learned. And it plans to trim a few more scholarships this season to show further contrition to the NCAA.

Tennessee football NCAA penalties: Scholarship cuts, vacated wins, Jeremy Pruitt show-cause
It was and it should MORE than satisfy them. If they punish UT further than NO ONE should ever cooperate with an investigation again. Compliance resources should be reallocated to hide violations and thwart the NCAA.

Last edited:

Maybe we are going to move some guys to medicals and maybe a couple down the depth chart will step away and maybe get some chicken wing money or cookie money for their trouble. Plenty of ways to offset a few schollies one more time. Not going to sweat it.

Reactions: hooter vol
We are currently at 81 scholarships for this Fall so we can "self-impose" a 4 scholarship reduction this season without impacting the team. The only players it would impact would be walk-ons that could have been granted a full-ride this season from the 4 extra scholarships available in 2022.

VN Store

Back