Todd Helton Elected To Baseball HOF

Got to see him play one game as a baseball VOL. Pitched this one. Quality player. Happy for him. All with one team. Now we have two Vols with Rockies. Dollander and Beck are VFLs with Rockies.
Thought Rockies also went after reliever who transferred from Mizzou as well. Assist as you feel led.

Last edited:
I remember being 8 or 9 when he was at central, my cousin played with him on those CHS teams. I got to go to several games (including the wild Oak Ridge one).

I remember being mad at my uncle for saying he need to stick to baseball, because I was so excited about football at the time.

I was an idiot. 😂

Did you all hear the interview he did right after on the MLB Network? He said Tony Gwynn gave him some hitting advice...to look at a spot on the pitcher somewhere and then shift your eyes to the ball when it comes. I've never heard anything like that. Guys on the panel were amazed.
That's very cool. Tony Gwynn was good at baseball.

I remember being 8 or 9 when he was at central, my cousin played with him on those CHS teams. I got to go to several games (including the wild Oak Ridge one).

I remember being mad at my uncle for saying he need to stick to baseball, because I was so excited about football at the time.

I was an idiot. 😂
I played with some pretty good ball players that played in College. A couple of which played in farm leagues. He was in the other league lol.

Nice article from the Denver Post.

“I don’t know that it’ll ever repeat itself,” former Vol Football offensive coordinator David Cutcliffe said. “What are the chances of a baseball hall of famer and a football hall of famer being in the same room?”
IMG_6638.jpeg

Check out this article from Knoxville News:

29 years later, Todd Helton's domination of Clemson in 1995 CWS still has Tim Corbin in awe

Helton was just interviewed on MLB Network and gave props to his father and was appreciative of the kind words that fellow HOF's bestowed on him during his induction today.

Reactions: HeadVol77 and MAD
Check out this article from Knoxville News:

29 years later, Todd Helton's domination of Clemson in 1995 CWS still has Tim Corbin in awe

I remember that game. I had graduated UT in Dec. 1993 and lacked the wherewithal to go to Omaha in 1995. So I watched the game at a West Knoxville sports bar. I believe it was Julios Between the Buns but I'm not sure. Every sports bar was packed to watch that game.

Delmonico played head games with Clemson - whom he had ties, several times in that span and starting Todd in that game was one of them. Clemson had lots of great left handed bats.

They were clearly very frustrated. Let's face the fact, Todd threw absolute junk from the mound and it was effective as a closer because the opposing team would have just faced 8 innings of heat and accuracy and were not prepared for balls floating to the plate that died as it got there.

I get the feeling the coaches were not expecting Todd to pitch as long as he did. Delmonico had gone the opener route in games where he started a lefty or righty and then replaced him after a batter with the "real" starter so the opposing team that platooned guys would be limited in pinch hitters they could use for the rest of the game- especially if they switched right/left again later. Todd was mowing Tigers down and no need to change if you don't have to.

We knew it was getting close to end of the game when Todd was tossed a baseball to throw around at first (to warm up) whenever there was a mound visit or other delay. I'm not sure he ever saw the inside of an actual bullpen.

I remember that game. I had graduated UT in Dec. 1993 and lacked the wherewithal to go to Omaha in 1995. So I watched the game at a West Knoxville sports bar. I believe it was Julios Between the Buns but I'm not sure. Every sports bar was packed to watch that game.

Delmonico played head games with Clemson - whom he had ties, several times in that span and starting Todd in that game was one of them. Clemson had lots of great left handed bats.

They were clearly very frustrated. Let's face the fact, Todd threw absolute junk from the mound and it was effective as a closer because the opposing team would have just faced 8 innings of heat and accuracy and were not prepared for balls floating to the plate that died as it got there.

I get the feeling the coaches were not expecting Todd to pitch as long as he did. Delmonico had gone the opener route in games where he started a lefty or righty and then replaced him after a batter with the "real" starter so the opposing team that platooned guys would be limited in pinch hitters they could use for the rest of the game- especially if they switched right/left again later. Todd was mowing Tigers down and no need to change if you don't have to.

We knew it was getting close to end of the game when Todd was tossed a baseball to throw around at first (to warm up) whenever there was a mound visit or other delay. I'm not sure he ever saw the inside of an actual bullpen.
Enjoyed reading, you are a great storyteller.

VN Store

Back