Tracking Vols Drives on Offense vs. Oregon

ile3000gt

He so Sexy
So, I've been wondering how our offense will stack up this season. We are doing the "fast and furious" thing, so I have created a spreadsheet that will compare several stats against Oregon. I think we can all agree that they are the standard when it comes to the spread/speed offense.

Over the course of the season this will become a better tool to measure our offense versus theirs, as we are only looking at 2 games right now.

I will update the spreadsheet and this original post after each game to track our offense compared to theirs.

Here are the stats as they stand now:

Ducks' Averages:
Touchdown Drives: 1:23 over 5.1 plays
Scoring Drives: 1:21 over 5.2 plays
All Drives: 1:25 over 4.9 plays
Yards per play: 9.0 yards
Average time from play to play: 17.39 sec's

Vols' Averages:
Touchdown Drives: 2:12 over 6.1 plays
Scoring Drives: 2:09 over 5.8 plays
All Drives: 2:15 over 5.8 plays
Yards per play: 6.47 yards
Average time from play to play: 23.39 sec's

Updated with week 2 games stats. Note, defensive scores will not be included as drives for either team.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
Cool Stats bro ..

Cowherd was talking this morning about the "fast n furious" type offense against SEC teams this past weekend. Stating that it is extremely hard for the big d line men of the south to get set for a play every 20-30 seconds.

If you haven't seen this yet.. Georgia player going down verse Clemson to slow down the pace .
Georgia calling in (Play Calling) fake injuries against Clemson August 2013 - YouTube

I strongly believe we beat USC or Geogia at home with the speed of our offense and the strength of our o line.

Reactions: 3 people
Wow......so you are confirming they are going to outscore quickly then!

J/K.....good work....just depressed me that is all....when that happens I act out....my cross to bare.

Tennessee has been in the bottom tier of the SEC the last 5 seasons. When Oregon played Auburn and LSU which are at the top of the SEC, Oregon got beat in the trenches.

Cool Stats bro ..

Cowherd was talking this morning about the "fast n furious" type offense against SEC teams this past weekend. Stating that it is extremely hard for the big d line men of the south to get set for a play every 20-30 seconds.

If you haven't seen this yet.. Georgia player going down verse Clemson to slow down the pace .
Georgia calling in (Play Calling) fake injuries against Clemson August 2013 - YouTube

I strongly believe we beat USC or Geogia at home with the speed of our offense and the strength of our o line.

LOL....little bulldawg rolling over and playing dead. Yeah when you are 3 + deep it is not as much of a deal then.

Reactions: 1 person
Tennessee has been in the bottom tier of the SEC the last 5 seasons. When Oregon played Auburn and LSU which are at the top of the SEC, Oregon got beat in the trenches.

Still dont believe Mingo ran down James.

Auburns D line put a hurting on them for sure. Proper conditioning and we will be fine.

So, I've been wondering how our offense will stack up this season. We are doing the "fast and furious" thing, so I have created a spreadsheet that will compare several stats against Oregon. I think we can all agree that they are the standard when it comes to the spread/speed offense.

Obviously, they didn't slow their 2nd half offense against Nicholls St, so the numbers will be skewed for now. Over the course of the season this will become a better tool to measure our offense versus theirs, as we are only looking at 1 game right now.

I will update the spreadsheet and this original post after each game to track our offense compared to theirs.

Here are the stats as they stand now:

Ducks' Averages:
Touchdown Drives: 1:35 over 6 plays
Scoring Drives: 1:32 over 5.8 plays
All Drives: 1:31 over 5.5 plays
Yards per play: 10.6 yards
Average time from play to play: 16.46 sec's

Vols' Averages:
Touchdown Drives: 2:27 over 6.8 plays
Scoring Drives: 2:21 over 6.4 plays
All Drives: 2:44 over 6.7 plays
Yards per play: 6.65 yards
Average time from play to play: 24.38 sec's

we cant even get through the western game and someone wondering about oregon wow real fan of football

Reactions: 2 people
Cool Stats bro ..

What speed?

It is still a problem because there are no substitutions. The longer the drive, the worse it gets.

I meant after one drive is over...next offensive possession for the other team when your 2's and 3's are nearly as good as your 1's like Bama and LSU it does not affect you as much....along with a T.O.P. controlled run game those schools use too....sorry I didn't get very descriptive.

we cant even get through the western game and someone wondering about oregon wow real fan of football

If you read the intro you know he's not trying to compare anything other than speed and effectiveness of offense versus the gold standard.

In no way is he referencing our week 3 game vs the ducks

Reactions: 3 people
If you read the intro you know he's not trying to compare anything other than speed and effectiveness of offense versus the gold standard.

^^ what he said, he would have compared UT to them even if they wern't on the schedule.

Has the schedule changed?? Thought WKU was next?

Another SRQ Vol? Outstanding!

Back to the OP. Oregon may not have slowed down but they did change out their personnel. Their backups just kept it going.

They ran over 70 plays in under 20 minutes while averaging over 10 yards per play. That's just crazy!

Thank you TB, monkey, and boca. I am not in any way trying to provide insight for our game in week three. Oregon is the gold standard in the speed/spread offense. The purpose of this thread is not to make predictions about the UT/Oregon game. It is to see how our fast paced offense compares to theirs over the course of a season.

If any of them read the OP there would be no reason for them to get bent out of shape!

Thank you TB, monkey, and boca. I am not in any way trying to provide insight for our game in week three. Oregon is the gold standard in the speed/spread offense. The purpose of this thread is not to make predictions about the UT/Oregon game. It is to see how our fast paced offense compares to theirs over the course of a season.

If any of them read the OP there would be no reason for them to get bent out of shape!

Volnation wouldn't be nearly as entertaining if people paid attention though.

You could start a thread stating you would give free money to all vol fans and you'd still get burned.

Just curious... how would the numbers change if you looked at both for just the first half statistics?

Cool Stats bro ..

Stanford and a few other PAC-12 universities started doing this a few years ago. Stanford's was the most comical. The defensive lineman got up after a play, looked at the sideline, got the signal from the coaches and fell on the ground in "pain". Next play he was back at full speed with no "sign of injury". Worst acting job since the 1950s Japanese SciFi films.

VN Store

Back