Tracking Vols Drives on Offense vs. Oregon

Stanford and a few other PAC-12 universities started doing this a few years ago. Stanford's was the most comical. The defensive lineman got up after a play, looked at the sideline, got the signal from the coaches and fell on the ground in "pain". Next play he was back at full speed with no "sign of injury". Worst acting job since the 1950s Japanese SciFi films.

UGA is on YouTube against Clemson, stealing Stanford's jokes.

Reactions: 1 person
Watch #44 for Stanford. Watch the very next play after the "injury" he doesn't look like he was hurt at all. Also, I was at that game and the video actually doesn't show him looking to the sideline just prior to faking the injury.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HeH-cNIcDs

Personally, I think it's garbage coaching and abuses the spirit of the game/rules. It's something that will be hard to make rules against. Onviously, it's hard to know when a player is faking. Not so obviously, it will be hard to make rules that penalize (not literal yards) coaches/players from doing it.

A popular idea is to make the "injured" player sit out several plays. Compared to the reason they are doing it, this rewards the faked injuries. They commonly call fake injuries to get a substitution for tired players. One purpose of the up-tempo offense is to keep tired players on the field. You can't "pentalize" faked injuries by resting players.

It's a hard loop-hole when the coaches won't show enough integrity to abide by the spirit of the game/rules.

Personally, I think it's garbage coaching and abuses the spirit of the game/rules. It's something that will be hard to make rules against. Onviously, it's hard to know when a player is faking. Not so obviously, it will be hard to make rules that penalize (not literal yards) coaches/players from doing it.

A popular idea is to make the "injured" player sit out several plays. Compared to the reason they are doing it, this rewards the faked injuries. They commonly call fake injuries to get a substitution for tired players. One purpose of the up-tempo offense is to keep tired players on the field. You can't "pentalize" faked injuries by resting players.

It's a hard loop-hole when the coaches won't show enough integrity to abide by the spirit of the game/rules.

Pentalize? Team penalized for 5 consecutive plays? 5 penalties accrued and enforced as a conglomerate?

I know it's a typo but I like the word you created. It should be a valid word and you should get some kind of royalty.

Pentalize? Team penalized for 5 consecutive plays? 5 penalties accrued and enforced as a conglomerate?

I know it's a typo but I like the word you created. It should be a valid word and you should get some kind of royalty.

That was a very gracious response to my spelling mistake.

My point was that, when opposing coaches fake injuries to get their players a rest, resting their players for five plays isn't much of a penalty.

:good!:

Several years ago a Vandy player faked an injury to stop the clock toward the end of the half when they were driving for a score. He was seen on the next play jumping up and down celebrating his success. When he came back in Candy scored because 10 orange clad defenders made sure he didn't get back up this time That was his penalty for his transgression. And of course we came out fired up in the 2nd half to roll over them

Faking a injury is just poor sportsmanship! If they can't hold out to play and have to fake an injury then they shouldn't be on the field to start with IMO.

kind of premature to talk about Tennessee stacking up aganst Oregon after the last five years of Tennessee football. Maybe we will learn a little bit more after this Saturday

kind of premature to talk about Tennessee stacking up aganst Oregon after the last five years of Tennessee football. Maybe we will learn a little bit more after this Saturday

By the time you read through the thread to see this post, it will have been pointed out more than once that that wasn't the purpose of the thread.

Here are the stats as they stand now:

Ducks' Averages:
Touchdown Drives: 1:35 over 6 plays
Scoring Drives: 1:32 over 5.8 plays
All Drives: 1:31 over 5.5 plays
Yards per play: 10.6 yards
Average time from play to play: 16.46 sec's

Vols' Averages:
Touchdown Drives: 2:27 over 6.8 plays
Scoring Drives: 2:21 over 6.4 plays
All Drives: 2:44 over 6.7 plays
Yards per play: 6.65 yards
Average time from play to play: 24.38 sec's

Thanks for posting this valuable comparison. I'd love to see if we continue to play faster and faster as the season wears on and there is no better comparison for speed than the Ducks.

We definitely slowed things down a little after the first few scores, and a lot in the second half vs AP. Apparently we have four "speeds" we run. I wonder if Oregon pretty much stays at their top speed no matter what. Virginia has a good defense this year (for Virginia) so it will be interesting to see what happens in that game with regards to Oregon's yards per play.

Thanks for posting this valuable comparison. I'd love to see if we continue to play faster and faster as the season wears on and there is no better comparison for speed than the Ducks.

We definitely slowed things down a little after the first few scores, and a lot in the second half vs AP. Apparently we have four "speeds" we run. I wonder if Oregon pretty much stays at their top speed no matter what. Virginia has a good defense this year (for Virginia) so it will be interesting to see what happens in that game with regards to Oregon's yards per play.

Oregon runs at several different speeds. The fastest speed is referred to as "Blur". It's really not so much about how fast they run as making sure they don't allow substitutions by the defense and taking advantage of momentum when they have it. Keep grinding out first downs, waiting for the first missed assignment and taking it to the house.

Updated with week 2 games stats. Note, defensive scores will not be included as drives for either team.

Appreciate the info. We will need longer time between our snaps to control the clock and give our D a breather

VN Store

Back