Transfers

Some stuff from General’s Quarters. Not a lot though.

Individually Chaz Lanier probably isn’t going to have a Dalton Knecht-type of season, but after this summer most around the program would probably tell you he’s a Dalton Knecht-like shooter. Lanier routinely wins every shooting completion on both a daily and weekly basis on the drills that the staff charts.
If you saw the annual ‘end of summer’ traditional shirtless photo from the Volhoops account you could see that guys have put their time in the weight room to good use. As always Garrett Mendenwald does an excellent job in the strength and conditioning aspect of Tennessee’s program and the results are pretty obvious just from the eye test.

Does anyone know how they are progressing?
From a very connected person on the Trilly discord:

Felix-After settling in the first week or so he has had the best summer of anyone on the team. In the best shape of anyone they’ve ever had outside of Santi from a stamina perspective. They think he will be the best defender they’ve had at the 5. Just have to make sure he doesn’t try to do too much on offense. He’s a little better than they expected skill wise but the key this year will be focusing on dunking and finishing the clean ups. Super aggressive around the rim. They are extremely pleased with what he brings attitude/effort/physicality wise. Looking like a 28-30 minute a game guy as of now which is more than they expected.

Igor-Best offensive player on the team. Has to continue to get better defensively. This would be the guy who gets the ball in his hands late in the game outside of Z if the season started tomorrow.

Chaz-Very solid player who’s extremely skilled and a great shooter but came in out of shape and has struggled at times with physicality. He’s a great catch and shoot and one dribble pull up guy but very limited creator. Tires very easily which has to be fixed.

Dstone-Clear cut 4th best transfer from what I was told. Strong physically and can make some shots but has struggled big time defensively and with the speed of the game. Has ability but isn’t there yet. Not counting him out but hasn’t been a great summer.

Boswell-Better than expected. Think he could be a solid contributor down the line and has really improved as the summer has gone on. Great attitude. Not afraid and really loves to guard. Was told he’s similar to Cade in that he’s a perfect developmental guy if you can keep in your program to improve.

I included Boswell since he’s new too.

From a very connected person on the Trilly discord:

Felix-After settling in the first week or so he has had the best summer of anyone on the team. In the best shape of anyone they’ve ever had outside of Santi from a stamina perspective. They think he will be the best defender they’ve had at the 5. Just have to make sure he doesn’t try to do too much on offense. He’s a little better than they expected skill wise but the key this year will be focusing on dunking and finishing the clean ups. Super aggressive around the rim. They are extremely pleased with what he brings attitude/effort/physicality wise. Looking like a 28-30 minute a game guy as of now which is more than they expected.

Igor-Best offensive player on the team. Has to continue to get better defensively. This would be the guy who gets the ball in his hands late in the game outside of Z if the season started tomorrow.

Chaz-Very solid player who’s extremely skilled and a great shooter but came in out of shape and has struggled at times with physicality. He’s a great catch and shoot and one dribble pull up guy but very limited creator. Tires very easily which has to be fixed.

Dstone-Clear cut 4th best transfer from what I was told. Strong physically and can make some shots but has struggled big time defensively and with the speed of the game. Has ability but isn’t there yet. Not counting him out but hasn’t been a great summer.

Boswell-Better than expected. Think he could be a solid contributor down the line and has really improved as the summer has gone on. Great attitude. Not afraid and really loves to guard. Was told he’s similar to Cade in that he’s a perfect developmental guy if you can keep in your program to improve.

I included Boswell since he’s new too.
Good stuff, Dal!

A lot of what I figured and had feared re: Lanier, and to a lesser degree, DD.

I was concerned about the learning curve for Lanier and how he'd adjust to the leveling up after taking four years to make a major impact at the lowest level of D1 basketball. Never expected the guy to show up out of shape, which is a red flag. Can't afford to have a guy get paid, then get (literally) fat and happy and not show up to earn it. That's disappointing, if true.

Chaz thing doesn’t worry me.

Cam Spencer’s scouting report said he was a catch and shoot guy, and had very limited shot creation.

He’ll get there. Not many can withstand Barnes practices, I’d say. I bet the games are tougher.

The common denominator this year and most any other under CRB, is will the group be able to defend at the level his style and culture has demanded. The difference now imo, is that coach has loosened some of the defensive requirements to allow for more offensive output. The freedom DK(despite how elite he was) had last year leads me to believe that CRB is going to turn guys like Igor, DStone and Chaz loose more than he would have in previous years, even if their defense isn’t up to the usual par.

Igor being that good is surprising, but exciting. I guess he starts at the 4, which I think most, myself included, thought Dubar would start at the 4 when they both committed. I'm not worried about the defensive issues, as Barnes can certainly fix that for just about anyone.

It’s been disappointing to hear all the news about Lanier. I’m not going to get too concerned yet, because it’s just the off-season. But after all the hype surrounding him and the idea that he was one of the best players in the portal, it doesn’t sound like we should expect anything close to that just yet. It seems like Lanier was a big part of their plans for the upcoming season, so hopefully he gets in shape quickly.

It’s been disappointing to hear all the news about Lanier. I’m not going to get too concerned yet, because it’s just the off-season. But after all the hype surrounding him and the idea that he was one of the best players in the portal, it doesn’t sound like we should expect anything close to that just yet. It seems like Lanier was a big part of their plans for the upcoming season, so hopefully he gets in shape quickly.
I expect he will play a lot this year and will do well. He can shoot the ball and score points.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Depends on your expectations, I continue to hear he’s far and away the best shooter on the team and that the staff has seen in a long time. He’s not DK in that he’s NBA go get your own, but the feeling has been he’s an elite level shooter and that’s not a negative imo.

Depends on your expectations, I continue to hear he’s far and away the best shooter on the team and that the staff has seen in a long time. He’s not DK in that he’s NBA go get your own, but the feeling has been he’s an elite level shooter and that’s not a negative imo.
Yeah reports make it seem he's truly elite outside shooter but not elite creating for himself and driving to basket.

I still have high hopes for this years team if reports on Igor being awesome offensive weapon and Felix being Pons level defensive specimen. Unknowns for me and how this teams season goes are Carr and Estrella's improvements and what if anything can Mashack add to his offensive game.

Yeah reports make it seem he's truly elite outside shooter but not elite creating for himself and driving to basket.

I still have high hopes for this years team if reports on Igor being awesome offensive weapon and Felix being Pons level defensive specimen. Unknowns for me and how this teams season goes are Carr and Estrella's improvements and what if anything can Mashack add to his offensive game.
thanks for info

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I know we will play incredible defense with what we have. I just hope that we are a top 10 offensive efficiency team

As I stated previously, I am very optimistic about Igor and I think Okpara will surprise many. If true, it's definitely concerning to hear the reports on Chaz and Dubar.

You would like to think Chaz would come into this hungry and ready but if he keeps a positive attitude and does what he's asked to do, he'll be in good enough shape just by getting through the workouts and practices. However, him not being able to create his own shot will be problematic and could cost him some playing time down the road.

I'm really concerned if Dubar is having trouble with the speed of the game and playing defense...we really need him to contribute (I know...Captain Obvious).

Reactions: chuckiepoo
As I stated previously, I am very optimistic about Igor and I think Okpara will surprise many. If true, it's definitely concerning to hear the reports on Chaz and Dubar.

You would like to think Chaz would come into this hungry and ready but if he keeps a positive attitude and does what he's asked to do, he'll be in good enough shape just by getting through the workouts and practices. However, him not being able to create his own shot will be problematic and could cost him some playing time down the road.

I'm really concerned if Dubar is having trouble with the speed of the game and playing defense...we really need him to contribute (I know...Captain Obvious).
Thats the exciting news to me (Okpara/Milicic). From what I saw on tape Milicic and Dubar are good playmakers, we know ZZ is so that fits in with Lanier being a catch-and-shoot guy. I think Dubar off the bench gives us our best rotation because he can sub in more spots than Milicic. I think Okapara and Milici are the key to this being a good season and and great season. I think we have enough options at guards that we can make that work. Having 4 solid guys that can play legit minutes at the 4/5 is the key. Okpara/Milicic/Dubar gives us 3 we just gotta get 8-10 mins from someone else, hopefully Estrella? Cam Carr though... where is his game at? He's still listed at 175 does he have tapeworms?

Good stuff, Dal!

A lot of what I figured and had feared re: Lanier, and to a lesser degree, DD.

I was concerned about the learning curve for Lanier and how he'd adjust to the leveling up after taking four years to make a major impact at the lowest level of D1 basketball. Never expected the guy to show up out of shape, which is a red flag. Can't afford to have a guy get paid, then get (literally) fat and happy and not show up to earn it. That's disappointing, if true.
The Chaz thing is absolutely incorrect. No worries with his motivation or work habits. It amazes me how these things get blown out of proportion, especially when they are false. My biggest concern was how he translates his game to SEC-level competition.

The Chaz thing is absolutely incorrect. No worries with his motivation or work habits. It amazes me how these things get blown out of proportion, especially when they are false. My biggest concern was how he translates his game to SEC-level competition.
I hope not, but BTO didn't exactly shoot it down, either, assuming you're referring to the out of shape commentary. If it were patently false, I'd have expected him to set the record straight (assuming he knows). Maybe @Stoerner Fumbles can ring in on it.

Igor being that good is surprising, but exciting. I guess he starts at the 4, which I think most, myself included, thought Dubar would start at the 4 when they both committed. I'm not worried about the defensive issues, as Barnes can certainly fix that for just about anyone.

Okpara could also be the starter at the center position when the season begins.

I hope not, but BTO didn't exactly shoot it down, either, assuming you're referring to the out of shape commentary. If it were patently false, I'd have expected him to set the record straight (assuming he knows). Maybe @Stoerner Fumbles can ring in on it.
I don’t think he’s lazy or unmotivated or intentionally trying to be a fat a$$ lol…I think just like DK last year and the majority of first year players under Barnes there’s an adjustment to how much you are expected to exert defensively which isn’t something most are used to.

VN Store

Back