Trev Alberts

Vols 'overrated' for 2005?

Randy Moore - Scout.com
July 7, 2005 at 9:54am ET
The folks at ESPN have Tennessee football fans in an uproar. Big surprise, huh?

College football analyst Trev Alberts revealed his picks for the NCAAs ''top sleeper teams'' and ''most overrated teams'' on the cable sports network this week. Tennessee was one of five teams in the latter category.

Here's what Alberts had to say about the Vols:

''Many prognosticators have Tennessee ranked as a top-five team. They are wrong. The Vols do have top-five talent but that doesn't translate into a dominant football team. Nearly 30 players missed the Tennessee spring game due to injury or suspension. Throw in a schedule that includes road games at Florida, LSU and Alabama, and Tennessee has 'overrated' written all over them.''

Albert's other overrated teams are Miami, Notre Dame, Oklahoma and another SEC program, Georgia. The analyst thinks the Dawgs will be done in by the loss of defensive standouts David Pollack , Odell Thurman and Thomas Davis , along with the fact head coach Mark Richt has turned the reins over to ''unproven quarterback D.J. Shockley .''

For what it's worth, Albert's top sleeper teams also include an SEC program ... Alabama. Here's what he has to say about the Tide:

''Head coach Mike Shula has just about every player returning from his team that won six games last season. Not a lot is expected from the Crimson Tide but they have a defense full of talent and an offense led by Brodie Croyle .''

Albert's other sleepers are Louisville, Texas A&M, Penn State, Purdue and Florida State.

ESPN has angered Vol fans several times previously. In 1997 the network pushed Michigan's Charles Woodson Heisman Trophy bid, helping him defeat UT's Peyton Manning for the award.

When UT fans cried foul, ESPN's Chris Fowler suggested they needed to let go of the ''trailer park frenzy.''

ESPN later launched a lengthy investigation into so-called ''academic fraud'' at UT via its website, espn.com.

The sports network also aired a college football commercial depicting UT fans as a bunch of 300-pound rednecks who bring their pet piglets to games. This ad drew such a negative response that it was pulled immediately and never aired again.

This came from a free site, so I assume it's okay to post it.

UT and Milo,

From what I've seen there aren't many people who actually go so far as to call for Sander's firing. I think what we see mostly is one or two posters who make all the noise and just repeat their assertions over and over.

I really think Sanders has the support of most serious Vol fans.

There's always a few crackpots who would have called for the firing of Vince Lombardi.

It just goes with the territory. When you have a head coach as successful as Fulmer, the next and most convenient target is the OC or the DC depending on which side might be struggling at the moment.

When we struggled in 02 with almost no passing offense, to a handful of extremists, it was all Sander's fault. When Sanders got some good talent at receiver, the problem was rectified.

No one can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

General Neyland came close, but even he had to have talent.

Also, Vols are like family. I might see a problem within my personal family, I may even say something about it, but pity the outsider who does.

"Also, Vols are like family. I might see a problem within my personal family, I may even say something about it, but pity the outsider who does"

Well put! ESPN is a great network as long as the mute button works!

Originally posted by LadyinOrange@Jul 8, 2005 9:11 PM
Vols 'overrated' for 2005?

Randy Moore - Scout.com
July 7, 2005 at 9:54am ET
The folks at ESPN have Tennessee football fans in an uproar. Big surprise, huh?  . . . . . (edited for space)
[snapback]111445[/snapback]​

Thanks for the story LIO, but now you're going to get the "Conspiracy Theory" going again. Heck, I'm even deleting ESPN from my "cable favorites" as we speak. (ha ha)

You all know what I say? Screw 'em. They might cost someone the Heisman, but they don't lose games for you. Let them talk trash and cut us down. . . .that's fine. A smart man once said: "Never argue with an idiot -- people might not know the difference."

I say focus on this season -- "Thrown to the Fire" should be the title of our campaign when I look at the start in September.

Originally posted by OldVol@Jul 8, 2005 7:17 PM
UT and Milo,

From what I've seen there aren't many people who actually go so far as to call for Sander's firing. I think what we see mostly is one or two posters who make all the noise and just repeat their assertions over and over.

I really think Sanders has the support of most serious Vol fans.

There's always a few crackpots who would have called for the firing of Vince Lombardi.

It just goes with the territory. When you have a head coach as successful as Fulmer, the next and most convenient target is the OC or the DC depending on which side might be struggling at the moment.

When we struggled in 02 with almost no passing offense, to a handful of extremists, it was all Sander's fault. When Sanders got some good talent at receiver, the problem was rectified.

No one can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

General Neyland came close, but even he had to have talent.

Also, Vols are like family. I might see a problem within my personal family, I may even say something about it, but pity the outsider who does.
[snapback]111446[/snapback]​

That's all well and good, I think Sanders is fine. After all, if it weren't for our offense last season, Chavis' D would have caused us to lose to Vanderbilt and Kentucky back-to-back.

But from what I've seen on here, and there have been a lot of fans come and gone last season, many Vol fans do not like Sanders.

Originally posted by milohimself@Jul 8, 2005 10:22 PM
But from what I've seen on here, and there have been a lot of fans come and gone last season, many Vol fans do not like Sanders.

Agreed. Maybe more then "many" imo.

Heck, lets look at our last Sanders thread and some of the responses

http://www.volnation.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5995&hl=

this is Sanders make or break year i think.

You know, every time we get involved in this thread or a casey clausen thread, someone always leaves the nation. Remeber Donsarge?
- I wonder why?

i dunno about him. he's not a great offensive coordinator but then again he's not a terrible one either.

I don't like Randy Sanders at all.

For me, the jury's still out on RS. I am not overly impressed, though.

So...any questions?

Originally posted by milohimself@Jul 8, 2005 10:22 PM
That's all well and good, I think Sanders is fine. After all, if it weren't for our offense last season, Chavis' D would have caused us to lose to Vanderbilt and Kentucky back-to-back.

[snapback]111478[/snapback]​

Milo,

It's really easy for fans to, as you say, come and go here. The anonimity of the Internet provides people with the perfect shield to be absolute jerks.

Most of those fans are just talking out their butts.

If you were to get them in proximity with Randy, you'd find them asking for his autograph.

It's unforutnate, but it seems the Internet has created a new personality for a lot of people.

My advice to posters is; be yourself. Don't ever take on a personality here that you wouldn't want to portray in person if you were talking to the same people you meet here. Anything less just diminishes one's character.

Unfortunately the anonimity has brought out the worst in a few.

VN Store

Back