TRO Denied

Can someone explain TRO without legal jargon
Temporary Restraining Order. It was simply an attempt to end it today & to stop NCAA from any action but it was unlikely to be granted. Consider it a “free play” Hail Mary in fB. You don’t lose anything but getting” it would be “game over”.

Attorneys also filed for a dismissal before a trial begins. It’s rarely granted but you never know how the opposing party may respond.

Reactions: Swiftybaby
I’m so scared that Nico isn’t going to be eligible. Feels like we’re either making a run at the natty in the near future or heading back to the dumpster fire that was 2020.

But other schools will still use the uncertainty in negative recruiting against us just like they did for the two years we were under the cloud of the Pruitt investigation. We need resolution sooner rather than later
What can be used against us? That we are fighting for student athletes? This isn’t gonna hurt us in recruiting.

Basilio has a good read on this today. Probably should read.
Doesn't sound real good for UT.

(go ahead negaBasilios)

I’m so scared that Nico isn’t going to be eligible. Feels like we’re either making a run at the natty in the near future or heading back to the dumpster fire that was 2020.
and the greatest snub would be to run him on the field to play....then lets see what happens....LOL

Reactions: davethevol
While Tennessee and Virginia aren't granted TRO, the Judge notes: "Considering the evidence currently before the Court, Plaintiffs are likely to succeed on the merits of their claim under the Sherman Act."
NCAA has always been a thinly veiled monopoly shrouded in euphemisms (e.g., student-athlete) all while flagrantly violating our antitrust laws to enrich the NCAA and it's member colleges

We'd better get the injunction or all bets are off. Even if we are successful with that, the threat/cloud will remain until the case runs it's course. This will absolutely impact our recruiting as well as lead to some very anxious times when the portal opens. We were just about through the impact of the Pruitt debacle and now this hits. Couldn't come at a worse time. This program just can't get a break.
I think it's more likely than not the injunction is granted on 2/13, but if it isn't, no, "all bets" are not off. That's because the reason for denying the injunction would be the same...failure to demonstrate irreparable harm. Tennessee is still likely to win the suit on the merits and having that language in an order is important.

I understand what you're saying about an NCAA cloud, but I just don't think it's going to be that heavy like the Pruitt stuff was...especially knowing that the final outcome is likely to be an NCAA loss.

Last edited:
I think it's more likely than not the injunction is granted on 2/13, but if it isn't, no, "all bets" are not off. Because the reason for denying the injunction would be the same...failure to demonstrate irreparable harm. Tennessee is still likely to win the suit on the merits and having that language in an order is important.

I understand what you're saying about an NCAA cloud, but I just don't think it's going to be that heavy like the Pruitt stuff was...especially knowing that the final outcome is likely to be an NCAA loss.
Since this is your world, I'll defer to your opinion, but without the injunction, I can see the NCAA going full speed ahead on making Nico ineligible for next season. They won't need a long, drawn out investigation on this one. That being the case, I'd have to wonder if Nico and his family will hang or maybe hit the portal? Hard to "prove" damages in recruiting or portal departures so even if we win, the "damage" we fans see will be a moot point in a court room, no? So even if we win, we still lose...at least that's how it looks to me. From my perspective, the injunction is a must. Without it, everything we've pointed to by signing Nico has the potential to go up in smoke.

Unsurprising. Does getting this ruling now somehow help us posture for the next phase, by chance? I still don't really understand why we filed prior to ever receiving a ruling from the NCAA.

Unsurprising. Does getting this ruling now somehow help us posture for the next phase, by chance? I still don't really understand why we filed prior to ever receiving a ruling from the NCAA.
It was to prevent the damage “being under NCAA investigation” could do to the current team & future recruiting efforts. NCAA can delay issuing the letter of infractions for some time if they desire to. Even Schools currently being investigated privately would be using this against Tennessee.

Since this is your world, I'll defer to your opinion, but without the injunction, I can see the NCAA going full speed ahead on making Nico ineligible for next season. They won't need a long, drawn out investigation on this one. That being the case, I'd have to wonder if Nico and his family will hang or maybe hit the portal? Hard to "prove" damages in recruiting or portal departures so even if we win, the "damage" we fans see will be a moot point in a court room, no? So even if we win, we still lose...at least that's how it looks to me. From my perspective, the injunction is a must. Without it, everything we've pointed to by signing Nico has the potential to go up in smoke.
I worry about that too, but I’m hoping this past week has sobered up the NCAA.

I don’t put anything past the AA, but I don’t think it would make judge Corker happy if you spent all week arguing “no irreparable harm to student athletes,” then the first thing you do after the injunction is denied is go suspend a student athlete.

VN Store

Back