Two CBs decommitting after "big" recruiting weekend?

So add Chatman to the list? From what I saw he was a 3 star from Georgia. Big guy.

Maybe Butch promised these kids more playing time than Pruitt wants to commit to? Or many other reasons I guess.

I don't think we can totally discount the idea that these prior commits chose Butch over Pruitt in the 1st place..and maybe don't like the guy? I don't know.

Damn, poor kids

Edit: I get it will be better for him in the long run, rather than ride the bench as an athlete just b/c he doesnt fit the system. Still, sucks to think youre going to be a part of Volnation only to have it ripped away 9 days before early signing
Pruitt didn't recruit them, butch did. If we want coach to succeed, he'll have to rcruit his type of players. Cross and the others will find success ,just not with the vols.

Reactions: 3 people
I said it earlier. There will be decommits and transfers. Not sweating any of it. Need to flip and change this roster as quickly as possible.

Reactions: 4 people
Coach Pruitt specifically mentioned that he wanted tall, big, physical corners. He wants corners that will stand at the line of scrimmage and knock the sh!t out of the receivers. The decommits were probably not of the caliber player [mental and/or physical] Coach Pruitt wants.

Well if they were Jones’s recruits, we know he likes DB’s that play 10 yards off the reciiever and arm tackle

Reactions: 3 people
Gaulden is a perfect nickel.

He could really help his stock and lead our defense if he comes back.
But put him at safety.

First 4
Gaulden
Warrior
Byrd
Sham or Blue Chip freshman
leave it as gaulden is a perfect nickle. Safety is a completely different position and skills beyond what he has shown. He is a really aggressive corner with quick twitch and cover skills.

he would be an average tackler at safety because of size. at corner (outside) his speed would limit him he is more quick than fast. this is projecting to next level in college yeah he could play corner or FS fairly easy. he is and always will be more impactful as nickle. It is not like we haven't seen it here. safety not even a conversation he had to gain like 20'lbs to plat slot stfu on safety. He has played outside corner.. not terrible but he belongs inside.

Pruitt didn't recruit them, butch did. If we want coach to succeed, he'll have to rcruit his type of players. Cross and the others will find success ,just not with the vols.

Never said he did. I understand why it happened. Still sucks for the 17-18 year old kids to hear that news

Reactions: 1 person
I have no doubt that Pruitt knows the type athlete he wants at all positions, he's one of the best recruiters in the country:)

Reactions: 2 people
Mosely is gone...thank gawd....but Abernathy is a senior in 2018.....and either he was coached up horribly or he just isn't living up to his 4 star status. He's 6'0. I'm assuming he's gonna start in 2018....which doesn't bode well for our defensive backfield.

JPs primary position of specialty has been DBs ... he has been a guru and also has been a master of picking out players that can play and eliminating those who can not.

Trust him

I feel for all these kids. I recall how good it felt when my son committed to play baseball in Sept of his sr yr. so glad that process was over I couldn’t imagine two weeks before signing having it pulled from him.

I especially hate it for Chatman. He and his family are/were All Vol. Good luck to all these guys

Reactions: 2 people
I feel for all these kids. I recall how good it felt when my son committed to play baseball in Sept of his sr yr. so glad that process was over I couldn’t imagine two weeks before signing having it pulled from him.

I especially hate it for Chatman. He and his family are/were All Vol. Good luck to all these guys

What? "Chatman, a standout defensive lineman from Rome (Ga.) High School, gave his verbal pledge to Ed Orgeron during the [LSU] Tigers’ spring game in April along with high school teammates Adam Anderson and Ja’Quon Griffin. The Peach State trio was considered a package deal and all made their way to Baton Rouge with offers from LSU already in hand."

He was very specific in his presser, saying he would not take anyone just to fill a spot, prefer to wait and get the right guys.

Bringing them here when the new coach doesn’t think they fit, isn’t doing them any favors. That’s why sjt and CrunchLeb invented attrition. :wink2:

Reactions: 4 people
We also have to assume that this class will be disrupted due to the negative media attention and the early signing day. I am excited to see what coach Pruitt pulls together but year 1 will be about developing the talent we have then setting conditions for future classes.

I'm not giving up on this class but we need to get OL, LB and then CB. We are okay everywhere else in the near term if they improve their play.

He did mention pressing at the line - not off the ball...?

Yep, he obviously thought that was worth mentioning in his introduction speech.

I sure did get tired of seeing the corners spot the receivers at least 3-5 yards, letting them come off the line without getting hit.

Never said he did. I understand why it happened. Still sucks for the 17-18 year old kids to hear that news
Hate it for them to, but it is a part of college football. These young men had to know it may come to this with a coach coming in with a different attitude and philosophy than the butcher.

Our corners have arguably been the weakest leak on our team since Butch took over. I'm trusting the new staff on this one.

Butch loved 3 star players, he could manage them easier is my guess, just look at how many 5 star players transferred under him. You can get lucky on 3 stars every now and then, Sutton was a 3 star but on Bama he may not even be a starter. If you want to compete you need 4 and 5 star players, esp on the DL and secondary. If they are rated a three star there is a reason, Pruitt needs to pull multiple 5 star players instead of just one five star per year like butch.

VN Store

Back