U.T. Schedule vs. USC Schedule

Problem is that there is a chance that we will have to beat a quality opponent twice in one year. Can you imagine beating LSU or Bama twice in one year. You have to be the best FB team in the country to do that.

Well, then we could annex Fresno State and Boise State. I dunno.

We won't get banished like the Big East is about to, though. But I really would like a conference championship.

I say we end up playing LSU in the Championship game next year, saying that we make it....We really need to have the Florida game right out of the gate next year to win the East...IMO....To me the Florida game sets the tone for the year...If we beat them here we come SECCG...But if we lose we have to win out and hope for the best....We're going to have a tough time in the first of the year going to "Death Valley" and "The Swamp"...If we can come out and win those two games we're going to be OK

Attachments

• parysbamagame.jpg
    parysbamagame.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 0
Originally posted by vols2345@Jan 23, 2005 2:50 PM
reggie bush is good. but he is no sec back.

:eek:lol: No? You don't think so? I sure would love for him to transfer to Tennessee so that we could find out!

I think you are right. LSU will have a few questions to answer next year. The coaches will need to settle in, and they need to pick a QB in the spring and stay with him. Also, Chavis will need to really be ready for a new offensive style in the swamp. I do not know if Chris Leak is his type of QB. If they gell, they will be tough to beat.

I don't think Urban Meyer will be as good as they think he will be.....I think he'll find out really fast that things are alot different in the SEC East than they are out in the Mountain West....I mean the bottom of the conference in both the EAST and WEST are better than most of the teams in the Mountain West conference

Attachments

• parysbamagame.jpg
    parysbamagame.jpg
Really? You don't think Moutain West teams could beat Vandy or Kentucky?

I know the Mountain West is a midmajor, but you also have to realize it's probably the toughest of the non-BCS conferences, for whatever that's worth. And another thing to consider is the fact that Meyer had his boys winning every single game he played by at least two touchdowns with talent that was, for the most part, not much better than the rest of the Mountain West. Utah gets a lot of Pac-10 and Big Ten leftovers.

You make a persuasive arguement for the MW and Urban Meyer. The difference will be the speed of the LBs in the SEC. This post is not meant to take away from anything UM accomplished. Utah and Louisville would have been my dream match up for a BCS game. I am just glad that Petrino did not end up in SEC.

Yes, he will run into some problems. But going into Florida with the existing talent and being that Chris Leak seems like just his type of QB, he could be very good off the bat. I hope Meyer just eats it out of the gate, but I fear the worst from him at Florida.

Do you think that Urban is going to let Leak run around as much as he did Smith?

I think his first year will be a slightly more conservative version of what he ran in the Mountain West. You guys do make a good point in that the defense will be tougher to contend with. He will slow it down a bit, but if he can get away with that kind of play, he'll go for it. Pulling an option offense in the SEC will be tough, though.

Not only would the option style plays be tough, he could get Leak injured.

Originally posted by milohimself@Jan 23, 2005 3:30 PM
I think his first year will be a slightly more conservative version of what he ran in the Mountain West. You guys do make a good point in that the defense will be tougher to contend with. He will slow it down a bit, but if he can get away with that kind of play, he'll go for it. Pulling an option offense in the SEC will be tough, though.

Chris Leak is tough, but I wonder if he can take a pounding. For that matter, I wonder if Smith would have lasted all year in a major conference?

With the Utes... Maybe. I think that one just has to keep in mind that the talent level is all relative. The defense in the SEC is obviously far better than in the Mountain West, but so is the offense.

I think you will see options a lot more than usual from Florida, but not all the time like what happened in the MWC. But if there were any QB in the SEC to run an option, Leak would be it.

I would think that JaMarcus Russel would be my first choice for an option QB. B Schaeffer would be second, and Shockley would be third. Leak, because of his size would be my fourth or fifth choice.

Too small to take the physcial pounding, and not as quick as the other three qbs mentioned.

Originally posted by milohimself+Jan 23, 2005 2:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (milohimself @ Jan 23, 2005 2:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by GAVol@Jan 23, 2005 11:50 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-milohimself
@Jan 23, 2005 2:33 PM
And before everybody starts pulling out the stats against me again

:dlol: Why do I get the feeling that every time you post something about the Pac-10 or Big 10 you duck as soon as you click on the Add Reply button?

:eek:lol: Around here, it&#39;s the truth. And I figured it was well-known that I am not an SEC fan. [/quote]
:snoring: :snoring: :snoring:

Originally posted by milohimself@Jan 23, 2005 3:22 PM
Really? You don&#39;t think Moutain West teams could beat Vandy or Kentucky?

I know the Mountain West is a midmajor, but you also have to realize it&#39;s probably the toughest of the non-BCS conferences, for whatever that&#39;s worth. And another thing to consider is the fact that Meyer had his boys winning every single game he played by at least two touchdowns with talent that was, for the most part, not much better than the rest of the Mountain West. Utah gets a lot of Pac-10 and Big Ten leftovers.

You can easily do a statistical analysis comparing Kentucky (and even Vanderbilt) to the Mountain West teams. Both Kentucky and UNLV played Tennessee. That is a straight comparison... but the other MWC schools you have to go a bit further. San Diego State played Michigan.... Kentucky played Indiana.... Michigan and Indiana played each other. Anyways, based upon those analysis, Kentucky would have been very competitive in the MWC. For Vanderbilt.... Vandy and Wyoming played Ole Miss as a common opponent... as well as the same UNLV comparison that Kentucky has.

Kentucky versus....

UNLV (2-9) Kentucky Wins
San Diego State (3-7) San Diego State Wins
Colorado State (3-7) Kentucky Wins
Air Force (4-6) Kentucky Wins
Wyoming (6-5) Kentucky Wins
BYU (5-6) BYU Wins
New Mexico (7-5) Kentucky Wins
Utah (12-0) Utah Wins

Kentucky could have finished 5-3 in the Mtn West, which would have been good for 3rd place. However, the comparisons were close on a few that could have resulted in Kentucky finishing 7-1.

Vanderbilt versus....

UNLV (2-9) Vanderbilt Wins
San Diego State (3-7) Vanderbilt Wins
Colorado State (3-7) Colorado State Wins
Air Force (4-6) Vanderbilt Wins
Wyoming (6-5) Wyoming Wins
BYU (5-6) Vanderbilt Wins
New Mexico (7-5) New Mexico Wins
Utah (12-0) Utah Wins

Vanderbilt could have finished 4-4 in the Mtn West, which would have been good for 4th place. However, the comparisons were close on several games that could have pushed Vanderbilt to 6-2 or 2-6.

Originally posted by milohimself@Jan 23, 2005 3:22 PM
Really? You don&#39;t think Moutain West teams could beat Vandy or Kentucky?

I know the Mountain West is a midmajor, but you also have to realize it&#39;s probably the toughest of the non-BCS conferences, for whatever that&#39;s worth. And another thing to consider is the fact that Meyer had his boys winning every single game he played by at least two touchdowns with talent that was, for the most part, not much better than the rest of the Mountain West. Utah gets a lot of Pac-10 and Big Ten leftovers.

There are a couple that could beat Vandy or UK but not many that are in that conference....Not to get off topic but has anyone noticed who one of the first games is on UGA schedule this year? Boise State....Am I the only one that views this a a game that has upset potential?

Attachments

• parysbamagame.jpg
    parysbamagame.jpg
They ran the table. Lost a close one in the bowl. One of the most exciting bowl games I saw. If they are returning a strong team, and catch GA trying to figure out what they&#39;ve got, it could be an upset. But, the long shot at that upset irrespective of how hard they play UGA is their D line holding 4 QTRs on a major conference O-line.

Originally posted by milohimself@Jan 23, 2005 2:33 PM
It doesn&#39;t matter where USC plays. With the talent they&#39;ve got this year, I&#39;d go so far as to say they could go undefeated with any team on their schedule. The real question is how do we impress voters while other teams out there like Texas, Ohio State, Michigan and Iowa have very tough schedules as well.

And before everybody starts pulling out the stats against me again, everybody knows that the Big Ten will be far more loaded than any other conference next year (Given they&#39;ve got THREE NC contenders) and if any team there goes undefeated, it will be very impressive next year.

The 4 teams you mention are a lot like us, they have a knack for slipping up somewhere along the way. I believe our strength will lie in the leaders who come to the front on our team along with the continuity of our coaching staff.

I saw some odds on the 05 National championship. USC was even money.

Miami, and UT were tied for 2nd at a 6/1 payout.

I don&#39;t gamble, but I find these guys do a pretty good job.

I think we&#39;re going to make it to the NC.

I think Miami will catch too much competition from Virginia Tech and Florida State to get through the ACC unscathed.

As for anybody that watched the Liberty Bowl, which should have been all of you if you consider yourself a true fan of the game, everybody knows that was about as even as a game gets. Both teams played very smart, and pretty much the only substantial reason Louisville won is because they managed to have the ball at the end.

If Georgia plays defense sloppy against Boise State, then look for the Broncos to come out of there with a win. Remember, Boise State embarassed Oregon State after the Beavers beat LSU (that is, for all intents and purposes of comparison).

VN Store

Back