UFC 151 Cancelled

orangetanker11

Change is coming
Dan Henderson tore his MCL.

The UFC offered the fight to Lyoto Machida, who declined due to short notice. They then offered the fight to Chael Sonnen, who accepted and even offered to fly to Vegas and fight Jon Jones immediately.

Jones turned down the fight. It's the first time in the UFC that a champion has turned down a fight, according to Dana White.

Went from being excited about Tennessee/NC St. on Friday and UFC 151 on Saturday to Da'Rick being suspended and Henderson getting injured. If you look at the teams I pull for, it's no surprise I get sick of sports and being let down. I'm used to it by now and it gets old.

Also, I don't blame Bones for rejecting the fight. It wouldn't be a huge risk but it's the lowest reward imaginable. Sonnen hasn't been in his weight class for the past 7 years and while Jones probably studies all potential fights in the light heavyweight division, I'm sure Sonnen was the last person on his mind to prepare for. Not only that but Sonnen is coming off a loss in a lower weight division. If anything, Jones is saving face for the UFC by rejecting the fight. Dana is obviously desperate and just trying to make a quick buck if he's willing to offer up a guy who just lost to the middleweight champion.

This sucks.

Last edited:
I think this makes Jones aka "the best pound for pound fighter in ufc" look like a puss, I already didnt like him, now I like him even less

I think this makes Jones aka "the best pound for pound fighter in ufc" look like a puss, I already didnt like him, now I like him even less

I don't like him either but I think it makes Dana White look like all he cares about is money. Machida and Shogun actually had to win a fight for a title shot and Shogun got left out in the cold. Sonnen coming off a loss and losing to the middleweight champion is so undeserving of a title shot against Jones it's not even funny. Everybody agreed the card isn't very good and I gave Henderson little to no chance but thought he had a punchers chance. I would give Sonnen no chance at all.

Do you honestly believe Sonnen could beat Jones? Jones has never lost a fight and if Sonnen can't beat Silva with wrestling, he's not going to beat Jones with it.

I didn't think Jones could move up and immediately beat the top heavyweights. I sure as heck don't think Sonnen can move up and beat the champion. Jones has basically cleaned out his division and won every fight. Sonnen can't even beat the champion in his weight class and Silva himself said he doesn't want to fight Jones. I just can't fault Jones for passing on this fight because I don't think many people would pay for it.

One of the only reasons Sonnen sells is because he runs his mouth. He'd only have 8 days to make up the difference. Of his 27 wins, he finished 11 and won 16 by decision. It's not his fighting that sells, it's his mouth. I just don't see people buying this fight on 8 days notice when they'd expect Jones to finish him in the first round going into it.

I might just be bias because I hate Sonnen but even I wouldn't pay money for this card to watch him get his teeth knocked out.

I dont think Sonnen would last 3 rounds, but I think Jones should have accepted the fight. If you are that good and wanna prove it, you should accept challenges like this. I woykd have pulled for Jones because I hate Sonnen. Also, im a huge Spider fan and I didn't like that he was turning down Sonnen's challenges before they finally faught again.

I don't like him either but I think it makes Dana White look like all he cares about is money. Machida and Shogun actually had to win a fight for a title shot and Shogun got left out in the cold. Sonnen coming off a loss and losing to the middleweight champion is so undeserving of a title shot against Jones it's not even funny. Everybody agreed the card isn't very good and I gave Henderson little to no chance but thought he had a punchers chance. I would give Sonnen no chance at all.

Do you honestly believe Sonnen could beat Jones? Jones has never lost a fight and if Sonnen can't beat Silva with wrestling, he's not going to beat Jones with it.

I didn't think Jones could move up and immediately beat the top heavyweights. I sure as heck don't think Sonnen can move up and beat the champion. Jones has basically cleaned out his division and won every fight. Sonnen can't even beat the champion in his weight class and Silva himself said he doesn't want to fight Jones. I just can't fault Jones for passing on this fight because I don't think many people would pay for it.

One of the only reasons Sonnen sells is because he runs his mouth. He'd only have 8 days to make up the difference. Of his 27 wins, he finished 11 and won 16 by decision. It's not his fighting that sells, it's his mouth. I just don't see people buying this fight on 8 days notice when they'd expect Jones to finish him in the first round going into it.

I might just be bias because I hate Sonnen but even I wouldn't pay money for this card to watch him get his teeth knocked out.

How many people bought UFC 148?

It's not even just about Jones (or should I say Greg Jackson) thinking Sonnen "deserves" a fight. What about all of the undercard fighters? What about all of the fans who paid to see a title fight? As much as I like Chael, I don't think he had a shot either, but he will fight at the drop of a hat. And guys like that built the company, and are good for the company.

Jon Jones, as good as he may be, just went down as the fighter that caused the UFC to cancel an entire card for the first time ever.

Just in case you were wondering Dana White's thoughts:
UFC 151 Media Call Audio - MMA Fighting

Last edited:

I don't think there's anything to gain by making Sonnen his punching bag. I didn't like the Hendo match-up either, but Sonnen even less.

Reactions: 1 person
How many people bought UFC 148?

It's not even just about Jones (or should I say Greg Jackson) thinking Sonnen "deserves" a fight. What about all of the undercard fighters? What about all of the fans who paid to see a title fight? As much as I like Chael, I don't think he had a shot either, but he will fight at the drop of a hat. And guys like that built the company, and are good for the company.

Jon Jones, as good as he may be, just went down as the fighter that caused the UFC to cancel an entire card for the first time ever.

Just in case you were wondering Dana White's thoughts:
UFC 151 Media Call Audio - MMA Fighting

I agree with all of this...except that I hate Sonnen

I dont think Sonnen would last 3 rounds, but I think Jones should have accepted the fight. If you are that good and wanna prove it, you should accept challenges like this. I woykd have pulled for Jones because I hate Sonnen. Also, im a huge Spider fan and I didn't like that he was turning down Sonnen's challenges before they finally faught again.

My thoughts exactly, bentenn. When Bones and Chael were having their twitter war last week, Bones was talking mad sh!t about how he would love to hurt him. Then he gets that oppurtunity a week later, and he turns it down. I would have rooted for Chael in that fight regardless, but now I'll REALLY be rooting for him. That fight will eventually happen, too.

Now, Machida has pulled out of the fight with Bones at 152. Bones will be fighting..........wait for it.........Vitor Belfort. SMH

Jones was a puss here. no way around it.

I'm sure he could have easily negotiated a title fight clause in the miniscule chance he lost to sonnen, but as it is, the story reads that the first ufc card to ever be canceled happened because jones turned down a fight he would be a near lock to win

Jones was a puss here. no way around it.

I'm sure he could have easily negotiated a title fight clause in the miniscule chance he lost to sonnen, but as it is, the story reads that the first ufc card to ever be canceled happened because jones turned down a fight he would be a near lock to win

Exactly right. Some people want to complicate things with talk of contracts and preparation, but he turned down a fight with an inferior opponent when he is the champ. That's never happened before. If I was Dana, I would be pissed, too.

This is absolutely the right move by bones. He gains literally nothing by accepting that fight.

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!

A UFC champion has NEVER done what Bones did. He was prepared to fight next Saturday. And, on top of that, he was running his mouth on twitter less than a week ago about how he would love to hurt Sonnen. Then he gets the oppurtunity to do exactly that and turns it down. Jones has some serious egg on his face over this, and it is well-deserved.

Reactions: 1 person
WRONG!!!!!!!!!!

A UFC champion has NEVER done what Bones did. He was prepared to fight next Saturday. And, on top of that, he was running his mouth on twitter less than a week ago about how he would love to hurt Sonnen. Then he gets the oppurtunity to do exactly that and turns it down. Jones has some serious egg on his face over this, and it is well-deserved.
Has any other UFC champion been asked to take a fight with only 8 days notice? He gains nothing by going out and destroying a guy that really doesn't deserve the fight OR getting caught by that guy. Not to mention him spending all of his time focusing on Henderson

I'm with Bones on this one. He's the best fighter in the world and Sonnen would be wasting his flavor. Pussary has nothing to do with it. So what if Jones is the first ever....nobody has been as dominant as him. This would be like asking Anderson Silva to fight John Fitch as a replacement. If you are going to fight somebody smaller than you, at least fight a champ. There's no reason for it.

VN Store

Back