UFC 157 - February 23rd @ 10PM ET

unconventional
Women's Bantamweight Championship
Ronda Rousey(6-0) vs. Liz Carmouche(8-2)

Lyoto Machida(18-3) vs. Dan Henderson(29-8)

Urijah Faber(26-6) vs. Ivan Menjivar(25-9)

Court McGee(13-3) vs. Josh Neer(33-12-1)

Josh Koscheck(17-6) vs. Robbie Lawler(19-9)

Reactions: 1 person
Some solid names but I'm not really a Faber fan and I don't like Koscheck at all.

Why did UFC pick up Lawler? I've never really seen him but his resume looks awful as of late in Strikeforce.

Winner of Machida and Henderson get a title shot. Kind of want to see Henderson since Machida already fought Bones but I think Machida has a better chance of beating Bones so I'll be pulling for Machida. I don't think it matters who fights Bones and they'll lose regardless but would be cool if he pulled a Cain and rebounded to whoop on Bones like Cain did on JDS. Doubt it will happen but would be nice. And what's up with co-main events? I thought main events were 5 rounds now or did I imagine that? The co-main event on the last ppv was only 3 rounds, wasn't it?

Also, Brendan Schuban and Levar Johnson are on the undercard so I'll be watching that.

Not a good card. I'm all about a good chic fight though. Hopefully that one goes all five rounds.

Some solid names but I'm not really a Faber fan and I don't like Koscheck at all.

Why did UFC pick up Lawler? I've never really seen him but his resume looks awful as of late in Strikeforce.

Winner of Machida and Henderson get a title shot. Kind of want to see Henderson since Machida already fought Bones but I think Machida has a better chance of beating Bones so I'll be pulling for Machida. I don't think it matters who fights Bones and they'll lose regardless but would be cool if he pulled a Cain and rebounded to whoop on Bones like Cain did on JDS. Doubt it will happen but would be nice. And what's up with co-main events? I thought main events were 5 rounds now or did I imagine that? The co-main event on the last ppv was only 3 rounds, wasn't it?

Also, Brendan Schuban and Levar Johnson are on the undercard so I'll be watching that.

Dana just said this week that Gustafsson gets a title shot if he beats Mousasi in April.

I hope my boy Urijah gets back in the Win column. He is my all-time favorite.

Also, I'm ok with women's MMA being in the UFC, but I don't think it merits headlining a PPV, even if it is Rousey. How many people could pick Liz Carmouche out of a line-up?

Also, I'm ok with women's MMA being in the UFC, but I don't think it merits headlining a PPV, even if it is Rousey. How many people could pick Liz Carmouche out of a line-up?

I think it warrants headlining due to it being the first womens bout in UFC history. I doubt many more womens fights will headline, unless they are FuelTV or FX cards.

Women's Bantamweight Championship
Ronda Rousey(6-0) vs. Liz Carmouche(8-2)

Lyoto Machida(18-3) vs. Dan Henderson(29-8)

Urijah Faber(26-6) vs. Ivan Menjivar(25-9)

Court McGee(13-3) vs. Josh Neer(33-12-1)

Josh Koscheck(17-6) vs. Robbie Lawler(19-9)

I got Rousy (no ****), Machida, Menjivar, CM, Koscheck.

I could care less about this card apart from the Johnson vs. Schaud, and Im crazy excited about Machida vs. Henderson. I like Henderson but I hope Machida wins. Machida is the only LHW that I think can beat Jones with something else than a lucky shot.

I got Rousy (no ****), Machida, Menjivar, CM, Koscheck.

I could care less about this card apart from the Johnson vs. Schaud, and Im crazy excited about Machida vs. Henderson. I like Henderson but I hope Machida wins. Machida is the only LHW that I think can beat Jones with something else than a lucky shot.
What would it matter if Jones was beaten with a "lucky shot" or not?

Dana just said this week that Gustafsson gets a title shot if he beats Mousasi in April.

Seriously?

I'm officially sick of Dana White then, not that I already wasn't. Can't believe he's pulling that crap again.

UFC president Dana White confirmed on Thursday that if Dan Henderson can get past Lyoto Machida at UFC 157 in February, he will indeed get the next shot at Jon Jones later this year.

“If Henderson beats Machida, Henderson will get the next shot,” White said when speaking to media after the UFC on Fox 6 press conference ended

The Thursday that's referring to is January 24th. Dana White is shady and his word means nothing apparently.

Gustafsson probably would get a title shot, just not necessarily the next title shot.

Maybe Hendo doesn't want a title shot. I highly doubt that is the case, but I guess it's a possibility. Of course, if Machida wins next week, it makes the whole argument irrelevant.

Gustafsson probably would get a title shot, just not necessarily the next title shot.

True.

Maybe Hendo doesn't want a title shot. I highly doubt that is the case, but I guess it's a possibility. Of course, if Machida wins next week, it makes the whole argument irrelevant.

Also true.

The only reason it shouldn't be irrelevant though is because if Machida wins, he should get the title shot imo. He and Henderson were both promised a title shot in the past. The fact they're fighting now without ever having gotten the title shot should automatically make the winner the number one contender.

Henderson became the number one contender after beating Shogun and got injured.

Then whichever winner looked the best between Machida/Bader and Shogun/Vera would get a title shot. It was determined Machida's win was more impressive but he got injured.

Logically, the winner of Machida/Henderson should get the title shot regardless. Makes sense... :p

I would give Gustafsson the nod over Machida for the simple fact that Machida has already lost to Jones.

If Gustafsson beats Mousasi, he will have EARNED his title shot, so I'll be okay with it.

True.

Also true.

The only reason it shouldn't be irrelevant though is because if Machida wins, he should get the title shot imo. He and Henderson were both promised a title shot in the past. The fact they're fighting now without ever having gotten the title shot should automatically make the winner the number one contender.

Henderson became the number one contender after beating Shogun and got injured.

Then whichever winner looked the best between Machida/Bader and Shogun/Vera would get a title shot. It was determined Machida's win was more impressive but he got injured.

Logically, the winner of Machida/Henderson should get the title shot regardless. Makes sense... :p

Machida did have a title shot. He got choked out and dropped on his face.

I know Shogun beat Machida, but I think Machida is the better fighter. Is that the consensus or no? I may just be judging that on how they fared against Bones.

I know Shogun beat Machida, but I think Machida is the better fighter. Is that the consensus or no? I may just be judging that on how they fared against Bones.

Technically, Machida is 1-1 against Shogun. Granted, the outcome of their first fight was disputable.

If they fought tomorrow, I would pick Machida for sure.

@ BadJerry

Thinking back on our past conversation, what odds do you give me against Rousey?

Machida did have a title shot. He got choked out and dropped on his face.

Good point! GSP at one point had a title shot. He got put on his back and found himself in an armbar by Matt Hughes. Cain Valasquez was in a title fight not too long ago. Found himself on the ground after a brutal hit. They never recovered.

Just because you've lost to someone doesn't mean you shouldn't be allowed to earn another shot at them for the title.

Last edited:
Good point! GSP at one point had a title shot. He got put on his back and found himself in an armbar by Matt Hughes. Cain Valasquez was in a title fight not too long ago. Found himself on the ground after a brutal hit. They never recovered.

Just because you've lost to someone doesn't mean you shouldn't be allowed to earn another shot at them for the title.
That wasn't my point. TOP said Machida hadn't gotten a title shot, and I pointed out that he, in fact, did.

VN Store

Back