Unsung hero

sjt18

IMHO, he should have been the player of the game. I'm disappointed that more attention and praise wasn't give to him after the game. I'm really happy with the way Nico played... but Sampson had almost as many yds rushing as Nico did passing. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with more carries next fall.

IMHO, he should have been the player of the game. I'm disappointed that more attention and praise wasn't give to him after the game. I'm really happy with the way Nico played... but Sampson had almost as many yds rushing as Nico did passing. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with more carries next fall.
I actually thought Pierce could have been the player of the game. He had a strip sack that lead to a touchdown and a pick six.

He gonna get Nico hurt, in pass protection

I was actually disappointed in Sampson's play today. He was great in the open field as always, but if he wants to be a 3 down back he HAS to get better in pass protection. He cannot keep a starting role being that bad in pass pro

We have all season to theory craft Sampson into a better blocker. But damn he can run and cut. I’m very happy with him especially since he is the third stringer.

I actually thought Pierce could have been the player of the game. He had a strip sack that lead to a touchdown and a pick six.
I would've voted for Pearce as well.

Nico was great. Sampson played very well. But that was an all-time great performance by Pearce. You don't see too many defensive players impact the game to that level!

Last edited:
I was actually disappointed in Sampson's play today. He was great in the open field as always, but if he wants to be a 3 down back he HAS to get better in pass protection. He cannot keep a starting role being that bad in pass pro

While I agree he needs to get better at pass blocking, but you can expect him to be able to block a dl man.

I would've voted for Pierce, as well.

Nico was great. Sampson played very well. But that was an all-time great performance by Pierce. You don't see too many defensive players impact the game to that level!
The guy is scary athletic. When he made the pick six, he looked like a safety running down the field instead of a defensive end.

I would've voted for Pierce, as well.

Nico was great. Sampson played very well. But that was an all-time great performance by Pierce. You don't see too many defensive players impact the game to that level!
Yep. The announcers and even the fans got too caught up in Nico mania. Pearce had a helluva day. Nico had a good performance not wanting to take anything from him but Pearce had a day.

Yes, it was Pearce that ripped the beating heart out of Iowa’s offense. Just when they would get a little momentum, Pearce’s plays killed their drives and evaporated their confidence.

Great for once that we can argue over 3 players worthy of a bowl MVP. Means ya had a great day. Pearce will be a wealthy person some day. He is a freak on the football field.

Has a lot of Leonard Little and Jevon Kearse in him.

well to be fair, the Iowa defender # 15 ( can't remember his name) Is their leading sack leader and a beast. Not many ( very few) running backs could consistently block him. He will be in the NFL

truth

well to be fair, the Iowa defender # 15 ( can't remember his name) Is their leading sack leader and a beast. Not many ( very few) running backs could consistently block him. He will be in the NFL

Completely agree. Sampson is 5’11 190, Joe Evans is listed at 6’2 252 but is probably even bigger than that. I was saying the same thing. Not exactly a fair matchup. Sampsons best bet would’ve been to just cut him.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
Sampson not blocking on multiple pressure's was irritating. But IMHO Pierce should have won MVP.

The guy is scary athletic. When he made the pick six, he looked like a safety running down the field instead of a defensive end.
I thought the same thing. We were at the game and it’s always different live vs tv, but I thought he looked like a wide receiver that had just caught a pass from the QB the way he ran and moved. Crazy athletic.

Reactions: Tarkus
The most valuable player for the Vols was the Iowa QB, the gift that kept on giving

VN Store

Back