Unsung hero

IMHO, he should have been the player of the game. I'm disappointed that more attention and praise wasn't give to him after the game. I'm really happy with the way Nico played... but Sampson had almost as many yds rushing as Nico did passing. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with more carries next fall.
He needs to learn to block

Seeing a lot of comments about Sampson's pass protection. I can remember one case in particular where he was just blown up by a LB. However, Nico held the ball too long much more than Sampson broke down. It is understandable for both. Sampson hasn't really been RB1. Pass pro is a part of his game that's still developing. Nico was in his first start and just needs time. Both will improve together. I'm not personally concerned about either.

IMHO, he should have been the player of the game. I'm disappointed that more attention and praise wasn't give to him after the game. I'm really happy with the way Nico played... but Sampson had almost as many yds rushing as Nico did passing. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with more carries next fall.
Pierce should have been player of the game. He's directly responsible for 2 TDs.

I'm glad Nico got it but IMO as a single player Pierce had a bigger impact.

I was actually disappointed in Sampson's play today. He was great in the open field as always, but if he wants to be a 3 down back he HAS to get better in pass protection. He cannot keep a starting role being that bad in pass pro
Hit the nail on the head. These backs need to make pass pro a priority this offseason.

Seeing a lot of comments about Sampson's pass protection. I can remember one case in particular where he was just blown up by a LB. However, Nico held the ball too long much more than Sampson broke down. It is understandable for both. Sampson hasn't really been RB1. Pass pro is a part of his game that's still developing. Nico was in his first start and just needs time. Both will improve together. I'm not personally concerned about either.
Yeah. The main one I can recall was a missed block up the middle where Sampson appeared to just brush by an LB who lit up Nico for a sack. He still had a great game though.

Reactions: sjt18
I would've voted for Pearce as well.

Nico was great. Sampson played very well. But that was an all-time great performance by Pearce. You don't see too many defensive players impact the game to that level!
Pearce scored more points than Iowa did....

VN Store

Back