Urban Meyer On Sportscenter

General Jack

Vorschlaghammer
Being an arrogant @$$ must be a key criteria for the HBC job at Florida. For any of you who didn't see it today, UM basically said that any real football fan loves U of Florida and some other crap about the U of Florida being the best job in football, etc. He tells his players there not just going to win, but they're going to "destroy" people. He just exudes smug arrogant jerk. I swear that must be required to be a freakin' gator.

Could pan out in the end though... I've missed really hating Florida. UM could bring the hatred back with avengence.

The SportsCenter bandwagon then harped on his ability to turn around programs in year one. Said they will contend in the SEC and possibly for a NC. I say keep it up. We always play better as underdogs anyway.

No surprise. Meyer always seemed like he was arrogant. Just wait till september when meyer finds out what sec football is all about. :bash:

Originally posted by Vol 4 Life@Mar 31, 2005 7:19 PM
He tells his players there not just going to win, but they're going to "destroy" people.

Telling your players that and doing it are two seperate things aren't they? I kind of hope that Fulmer has that attitude this year too though. I don't want him telling the players that, but I would enjoy him going for the throat this year.

I think we do need a bit more of a balls-to-the-wall offensive style this year... Our defense let us down a few too many times to make me feel comfortable with a close lead. We play a lot of good offensive teams this next season, so we will need to create big leads for some breathing room.

Putting up touchdowns is not Fulmers game and never has been. He is all about running the clock and field position. While he has won a lot of games doing it, you almost have to blow out every team just to get or remain high in the polls these days and be considered for the NC game.

Originally posted by milohimself@Mar 31, 2005 8:11 PM
I think we do need a bit more of a balls-to-the-wall offensive style this year... Our defense let us down a few too many times to make me feel comfortable with a close lead. We play a lot of good offensive teams this next season, so we will need to create big leads for some breathing room.

as long as we are playing fulmer ball, that will not happen

sure there are flashes, but dont expect it on any type of consistent basis

Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood@Mar 31, 2005 5:17 PM
Putting up touchdowns is not Fulmers game and never has been. He is all about running the clock and field position. While he has won a lot of games doing it, you almost have to blow out every team just to get or remain high in the polls these days and be considered for the NC game.

I'm not talking about polls. I'm talking about the fact that playing conservative offense with a suspect defense is a recipe for disaster. And Chavis failed to impress me on just about every level this last season.

Yeah well that too. As you already know, it's hard to have an aggresive defense with that young secondary. The defense will back and better this year....at least I hope it is. There were way too many close games last year.

I know... Playing close to the vest is all well and good, but when you have to make a comeback against Kentucky, something is wrong.

Originally posted by milohimself@Mar 31, 2005 8:50 PM
I know... Playing close to the vest is all well and good, but when you have to make a comeback against Kentucky, something is wrong.

And to think that I was sitting out in the cold rain thinking that we were going to beat by Kensucky...... :shakehead: That game was WAY too close.....so was the Vandy, Bama, Georgia and Ole Miss game.

Urban Myth has his head up his hinderparts just like most of the fans down there. He'll fit in just fine with the rest of that crowd! :bad:

He'll come back down to earth after the first SEC linebacker has decked his QB, which he appears to hang out on many of his plays.

I am sticking with my prediction of another Gator bust.

They just keep waiting for the second coming of Steve Spurrier. They're just like the poor Bama fans. They're still bowing to the hounds tooth hat in Tuscaloosa.

Soon the Gators will realize that the 2nd coming has already taken place. It just happened in Columbia, S. C. :blink:

Urban Meyer will find out that the Mountain West and the SEC are nothing alike......He might be able to "Destroy" the teams in Mountain West but he won't be destroying anyone in the SEC except the lower tier teams like Vandy and UK.....And to be honest with you, in the Mountain West....I believe those two teams would compete.....He's going to find out what college football is all about playing in the SEC....The big orange crush will take him to the wood shed this year

Unimpressed with Chavis...Man it never seems to fail. Look at the scheme we had to run last year due to injuries and lack of experience in the secondary. Gimme a break with that comment. Chavis has been a backbone of the UT program for years. I don't know how long you have followed TN football, I suspect that you just started by some of your posts, but Chavis did a great job considering the personel he had to work with last year.

I can understand your impatience with the offense, but dont bag on Chavis. If you have followed the VOLS for a while you should know that a statement to that effect is purely ignorant.

Our offense was also young last year. I believe we won 10 games still and competed in an SEC championship game. Before you start making comments on how you were unimpressed with the coaches, you might want to take into consideration why they had to play some of the kids they had to. We are loaded this year on offense and hopefully we will maximize our potential.

I have always had a problem with those that bag on coaches without looking at the underlying factors. Makes me wonder if they truly understand their knowledge of sports in general.

I agree with #10 and OldVol. This isn't the Mountain West. In regards to last year. Last year we were not supposed to do much... Finish 3rd I think in the SEC east. We started 3 different quarterbacks last year. I prefer to gauge things by the last game of the year. I think we put things together. The defense is evidently setting the stage in spring practice. I can't wait till the Mahelona reintroduces himself several time to Leak. Yes Checkerboard you did tell me so. Any words on the Center? :clap:

Originally posted by #10_Ainge_#10@Apr 1, 2005 7:19 AM
Urban Meyer will find out that the Mountain West and the SEC are nothing alike......He might be able to "Destroy" the teams in Mountain West but he won't be destroying anyone in the SEC except the lower tier teams like Vandy and UK.....And to be honest with you, in the Mountain West....I believe those two teams would compete.....He's going to find out what college football is all about playing in the SEC....The big orange crush will take him to the wood shed this year

Keep in mind that the talent is relative. You can argue all day about schemes, but in the end, the talent is relative. Utah's players were not all that much more talented than any of the other teams in the Mountain West, such as your BYU's or UNLV's. Likewise, Florida's talent is about on par with that of the rest of the top SEC teams.

Originally posted by tnvoln77@Apr 1, 2005 7:32 AM
Unimpressed with Chavis...Man it never seems to fail. Look at the scheme we had to run last year due to injuries and lack of experience in the secondary. Gimme a break with that comment. Chavis has been a backbone of the UT program for years. I don't know how long you have followed TN football, I suspect that you just started by some of your posts, but Chavis did a great job considering the personel he had to work with last year.

I can understand your impatience with the offense, but dont bag on Chavis. If you have followed the VOLS for a while you should know that a statement to that effect is purely ignorant.

Our offense was also young last year. I believe we won 10 games still and competed in an SEC championship game. Before you start making comments on how you were unimpressed with the coaches, you might want to take into consideration why they had to play some of the kids they had to. We are loaded this year on offense and hopefully we will maximize our potential.

I have always had a problem with those that bag on coaches without looking at the underlying factors. Makes me wonder if they truly understand their knowledge of sports in general.

Maybe you misunterstood my being unimpressed. Do I want Chavis' head? No. But I don't think that even our bench players should be allowing one of the poorer performing teams in D-IA football to hang tight with us, and then next week making it so we had to actually come back against one of the worst teams around.

There's no reason in the world that our defense couldn't have looked at least decently-coached at the end of last season, even if they were young. They should still be able to handle Kentucky.

Originally posted by milohimself+Apr 1, 2005 5:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (milohimself @ Apr 1, 2005 5:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-#10_Ainge_#10@Apr 1, 2005 7:19 AM
Urban Meyer will find out that the Mountain West and the SEC are nothing alike......He might be able to "Destroy" the teams in Mountain West but he won&#39;t be destroying anyone in the SEC except the lower tier teams like Vandy and UK.....And to be honest with you, in the Mountain West....I believe those two teams would compete.....He&#39;s going to find out what college football is all about playing in the SEC....The big orange crush will take him to the wood shed this year

Keep in mind that the talent is relative. You can argue all day about schemes, but in the end, the talent is relative. Utah&#39;s players were not all that much more talented than any of the other teams in the Mountain West, such as your BYU&#39;s or UNLV&#39;s. Likewise, Florida&#39;s talent is about on par with that of the rest of the top SEC teams. [/quote]
Yes, talent is relative and good coaching is good coaching. However, at some times, moving up in talent removes some scheme options. For example, the option doesn&#39;t work in the NFL due to the speed of the defense and the pounding that the QB would take. Likewise, few teams at the highest levels of college have been able to work the run-and-shoot offense effectively due to defensive speed that neutralizes the scheme. At the top levels of college ball, strength in the trenches is critical. It&#39;s tough for a non-power running team to consistantly compete. The real question on Myer will be his ability to adapt his scheme to the step-up in talent of his opponents moreso than the comparison of his team&#39;s talent to that of the opponents.

:twocents:

I LIKE IT&#33;

Hopefully, you&#39;ll get fired up enough that I can convince you to make the trek back to the Sewer (er, Swamp).

My take on the coaches: a wise man once said "CHECK THE SCORE, BEEOTCH&#33;" With the devastating injuries, youth, lack of experience, unsteady quarterback situation from day 1, and playing in the SEC, I&#39;ll take last year just fine. Good teams win close games, AND we damn near upset Auburn in the SECCG and made aTm look like a high school squad.

This year looks promising. Let&#39;s just try to stay healthy???

Originally posted by volinbham@Apr 1, 2005 3:36 PM
Yes, talent is relative and good coaching is good coaching. However, at some times, moving up in talent removes some scheme options. For example, the option doesn&#39;t work in the NFL due to the speed of the defense and the pounding that the QB would take. Likewise, few teams at the highest levels of college have been able to work the run-and-shoot offense effectively due to defensive speed that neutralizes the scheme. At the top levels of college ball, strength in the trenches is critical. It&#39;s tough for a non-power running team to consistantly compete. The real question on Myer will be his ability to adapt his scheme to the step-up in talent of his opponents moreso than the comparison of his team&#39;s talent to that of the opponents.

Do you suppose he will make a bunch of changes?

Originally posted by milohimself@Apr 1, 2005 7:10 PM
Do you suppose he will make a bunch of changes?

He could start with taking his school and shoving it up his pompous @&#036;&#036;.

Originally posted by milohimself+Apr 1, 2005 7:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (milohimself @ Apr 1, 2005 7:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-volinbham@Apr 1, 2005 3:36 PM
Yes, talent is relative and good coaching is good coaching.  However, at some times, moving up in talent removes some scheme options.  For example, the option doesn&#39;t work in the NFL due to the speed of the defense and the pounding that the QB would take.  Likewise, few teams at the highest levels of college have been able to work the run-and-shoot offense effectively due to defensive speed that neutralizes the scheme.  At the top levels of college ball, strength in the trenches is critical.  It&#39;s tough for a non-power running team to consistantly compete.  The real question on Myer will be his ability to adapt his scheme to the step-up in talent of his opponents moreso than the comparison of his team&#39;s talent to that of the opponents.

Do you suppose he will make a bunch of changes? [/quote]
To me that&#39;s the million dollar question. Was he playing the system at Utah because of the talent or did he stick with the same formula he used elsewhere? I don&#39;t know.

If he is adaptable, then we have more to worry about. No doubt that UF has talent galore but the big questions to me are:

1) is it the right talent to fit his schemes

and more importantly,

2) will his schemes work at the SEC level with it&#39;s speed and power on offense.

I didn&#39;t watch much Utah last year but it appears that a D with a dominant line would have blown up much of what they were trying to do. LSU, Bama, Auburn, Georgia and on occassions UT and South Carolina had very powerful D&#39;s.

I look at a team like Hawaii and ask would that scheme work with better players (e.g. better offense for Hawaii) against the team speed of top level college teams. I don&#39;t know.

Can I get a vote that we stop callin him Urban Meyer and officially make his VolNation name Urban Legend? Thats what he will be after two SEC seasons running that offense.

example:

....if you eat pop rocks and drink coke your mouth will explode......

....if you coach in the mountain west and become a "media darling"....then you can march into the SEC and take over.....

Originally posted by givm6@Apr 4, 2005 3:36 PM
Can I get a vote that we stop callin him Urban Meyer and officially make his VolNation name Urban Legend? Thats what he will be after two SEC seasons running that offense.

example:

....if you eat pop rocks and drink coke your mouth will explode......

....if you coach in the mountain west and become a "media darling"....then you can march into the SEC and take over.....

Sounds good to me.

Watching him will be like watching an alka-seltzer fall into water.

Lots of fizz, a little motion, but then it&#39;s gone.

VN Store

Back