USA Today Breakdown - No. 62: Tennessee

>>>

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-07-07-00-54-29.png
    Screenshot_2013-07-07-00-54-29.png
    143 KB · Views: 55
From the viewpoint of a Vol fan, it's not optimistic enough.
I'm expecting Jones' first season to be better than Dooley's.

Reactions: 3 people
From the viewpoint of a Vol fan, it's not optimistic enough.
I'm expecting Jones' first season to be better than Dooley's.

You are basing that solely on who you think is a better coach. We have zero proven receivers, quarterbacks, and a defense that was one of the worst in all of college football last year. Those are the facts. I have no doubt CBJ is a better coach then Dooley but that may not translate in the win loss record next year.

Reactions: 8 people
You are basing that solely on who you think is a better coach. We have zero proven receivers, quarterbacks, and a defense that was one of the worst in all of college football last year. Those are the facts. I have no doubt CBJ is a better coach then Dooley but that may not translate in the win loss record next year.
Somebody relieved themselves in your cereal bowl, did they?

Reactions: 2 people
You are basing that solely on who you think is a better coach. I have no doubt CBJ is a better coach than Dooley but that may not translate in the win loss record next year.

Not exactly. I also think that the players on the roster now will respond better to Jones' coaching than Dooley's players did to his. When players are truly willing to give their all for their coach each and every game, good things happen, including upsets.

Defense sucked cause they took 4-3 guys and ran 3-4 with them. I don't see how it's going to be that a hard switch back. They will be better IMO

I think this is a fair evaluation year one. If you are expecting better than 6-6 this year, you haven't been paying attention and you certainly didn't watch the spring game. Lots of great coaches have gone 6-6 year one and it didn't mean a thing about their coaching ability (e.g., Saban, Carroll).

Reactions: 4 people

But, but, but a few guys on here say that Dooley left CBJ with a very good roster, with a ton of experience .... and that he oughtta win 8 games easy.....

Reactions: 1 person
I think this is a very fair assessment of our Vols for the upcoming season. I'm not looking for a 8 or 9 win season here like some folks are. I know we may struggle and that's ok because we have promise for years to come. Rome wasn't built in a day. I'm behind CBJ 100% because "He gets it".

Reactions: 1 person
People like this have noting else to do this time of year so we always get the predictions. The problem with this is that they are almost always going to predict for the team exactly what the team did last year. But every year, there are teams that surprise people both in a positive and negative way. We could win 9 games(including a bowl game). Or we could win hardly any. In my mind the only game we don't have a chance in is bama. Fl, despite their record and ranking last year wasn't that good. We had every opportunity to beat them. Same with usc and uga. Oregon lost their coach. Who know how they'll be. We'll see. Maybe we have an exact repeat of last year(basically losing every important game), or maybe we improve significantly over last year and win all the close ones.

so they predict us going anywhere from 3-9 to 9-3. haha way to go out on a limb there. ill take right in the middle of those two with 6-6.A chance to win a 7th in a Bowl.

Reading the entire article gives many reasons to think we could have a pretty good season. With the talent and experience we have on both lines, an 8 win season is far from impossible. It could also go the other way, but CBJ has a pretty good track record. So ill put my money on him.

so they predict us going anywhere from 3-9 to 9-3. haha way to go out on a limb there. ill take right in the middle of those two with 6-6.A chance to win a 7th in a Bowl.

He actually thinks 6-6 but says he wouldn't be surprised with the others. With this team and all that's gone on I agree with him. I think it's a very fair article.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Defense will be better than last year's Sunseri mess. Many on the defense were here in 2011 and played in Wilcox's 4-3. Compare Wilcox's 4-3 stats in 2011 to Sunseri's 3-4 stats in 2012 at:

cfbstats.com - 2012 Tennessee Volunteers Total Defense Split Stats

I think people overstate the difficulty of switching back to the 4-3. We were only in a 3-4 for 1 year. It's not like these seniors are going to have to learn something new. They should be more comfortable this year than last year.

I think people overstate the difficulty of switching back to the 4-3. We were only in a 3-4 for 1 year. It's not like these seniors are going to have to learn something new. They should be more comfortable this year than last year.

Also we didn't run a 3-4 exclusively last year. We ran a 4-3 quite a bit.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Damn I so tired of reading about football without the ability to watch it on Saturday. I am so ready for football season. The Richardson v Clowney matchup is going to be epic this year.

Weeks 1 and 2 are going to be a blast watching. We will see our receivers and our running backs tear up the field. Also, we will finally get some previews of our QBs.

Week 3 we will know something about our defense and team as a whole. I dont even really care if we win or not, after this game I just want to feel like we have a chance to beat Florida.

55 days til GAMETIME!

VN Store

Back