USA Today Breakdown - No. 62: Tennessee

This is a fair analysis.

If UT was in the Big 12, Big 10, ACC or Pac 12, they're an 8-4 team and ranked in the 40s.

You are basing that solely on who you think is a better coach. We have zero proven receivers, quarterbacks, and a defense that was one of the worst in all of college football last year. Those are the facts. I have no doubt CBJ is a better coach then Dooley but that may not translate in the win loss record next year.

It better

Nice article... I thought it was fair and fairly accurate.

Let's throw out our Vol-bias for two seconds here guy. Believe me, I want us to win 7+ games... but what have we done to prove that we will? Butch Jones and the coaching staff can only do so much in their first year. And I don't have to tell all of you that coming from Cincinnati to Tennessee is a HUGE jump in conference prestige and competition.

I think we win 6 games this year, but I could see us winning as little as 4 or as many as 9. It all depends on a few things. But let's not count our chickens before they hatch. This is the SEC we are talking about... where national titles are won every year these days. Until we start winning on the field against SEC opponents and not just the lower tier teams like South Alabama, talk is cheap.

I believe in my team, but I'm also a realist. We start winning and we won't even have these conversations...You can bet teams like Alabama sure aren't debating on if they will win 7 games or more.

Reactions: 1 person
Good article... I think we get 8 wins. Maybe Im looking through orange tinted glasses but I feel we steal one from UGA or S. Carolina. Then we win the rest we should.

Reactions: 2 people
The article wasn't too bad, based on what is known, but there are always some unknowns that unfold, some of them good. For example, the article doesn't mention rb Hill -- he could go wild. And a current unknown at qb, doesn't mean we will suck at qb; same for wr.

Also, the article seems to imply that we have been in the 3-4 for a while and that going (back) to the 4-3 will be a big shock for our guys. That should not be the case.

Although there are a couple units where we have some depth, in most areas of the team we don't have a lot of proven depth, so a mere 2 or 3 injuries in the wrong places could mess us up badly as it did last year with Randolph, Maggitt and TE at the beginning of the season. Here's hoping we have a lot more good surprises than bad ones! Go Big Arnge.

Let's throw out our Vol-bias for two seconds here guy. Believe me, I want us to win 7+ games... but what have we done to prove that we will?
------------------------------------------------------------------

In my 50 years watching UT, we are most likely to lose big games when we're supposed to win. Eventually, UT will surprise you with an unexpected achievement, and that will get them back on the elite track. Almost had such an experience at LSU in 2010.

Trust me, the defense will play better. Last years in game adjustments were laughable. Seriously, I have seen little league coaches make better adjustments. And I think the player effort toward the end of the season will be much better. You can't tell me that our guys didn't quit against vandy last year, and I think it was because they wanted rid of Dooley! I do know this because it came straight out of the athletic facility so I know it is true. No one in the building like Dooley. He is arrogant. He didn't respect Tennessee tradition, and the Tennessee people, both the former players and the people who have been around the program and in the building for as many as 50 years! and that's a fact Jack! Good riddens! GBO

You are basing that solely on who you think is a better coach. We have zero proven receivers, quarterbacks, and a defense that was one of the worst in all of college football last year. Those are the facts. I have no doubt CBJ is a better coach then Dooley but that may not translate in the win loss record next year.

Three years ago... Dooley had zero proven OL's, RB's, QB's, DT's....

IF Jones is the right guy then he SHOULD prove it this fall. This roster is MUCH better than the one UT had this time 3 years ago.

I sure hope he's better than Dooley but is that really the expectation? IMO, that simply isn't good enough. He needs to show he's a championship coach in the SEC this fall by winning more than Dooley in his first year. And that is NOT unreasonable at all.

Pretty good write up despite the ranking.

Defense
Lets not forget that the complexity from defensive scheme is removed. The 4-3 is more natural for 90 percent or more of our defensive players. The defense should definitely be improved compared to last year.

Offense
While the experience is not there, the talent is. Quite a few spread based offenses are designed to be a little more simple with reliance on precision and speed. We have speed with our skill players. The precision will come with practice. Our O line will aid in an increase in rushing production.

I am not predicting a stellar season but even the majority of sports analysts are calling for the Vols to win 6 to 7 games. I believe CBJ will keep the losses closer than Dooley did. There is reason for hope in Knoxville but the road back to the top will take a couple years.

I thought it was a great write up....in fact, it gave me a little more hope that I had previously- didn't hurt that VN was the first board listed either.

This is a fair analysis.

If UT was in the Big 12, Big 10, ACC or Pac 12, they're an 8-4 team and ranked in the 40s.

Heck, doesn't 8-4 there get you near the top 25? Good point, but I would rather play the best and miss one meaningless bowl game. What fun is playing mediocrity?

That's one of my favorite things @ Bruce Pearl's reign. That guy immediately went @ scheduling the best teams he could get on the schedule. He kept patsies too, but I cannot stand these job preserving coaches "schedule patsies to get in the tourney / bowl & keep my job" mentality. I think the team picks up on that too.

Then again, I'm not the one with a $1.5mil salary on the line either. :ermm:

Three years ago... Dooley had zero proven OL's, RB's, QB's, DT's....

IF Jones is the right guy then he SHOULD prove it this fall. This roster is MUCH better than the one UT had this time 3 years ago.

I sure hope he's better than Dooley but is that really the expectation? IMO, that simply isn't good enough. He needs to show he's a championship coach in the SEC this fall by winning more than Dooley in his first year. And that is NOT unreasonable at all.

Haha how funny you are. You didn't think Doofus should have had to compete in year 3 yet after Doofus drove our program into the dirt you think Jones should compete for an SEC title in year one. Haha
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Heck, doesn't 8-4 there get you near the top 25? Good point, but I would rather play the best and miss one meaningless bowl game. What fun is playing mediocrity?

That's one of my favorite things @ Bruce Pearl's reign. That guy immediately went @ scheduling the best teams he could get on the schedule. He kept patsies too, but I cannot stand these job preserving coaches "schedule patsies to get in the tourney / bowl & keep my job" mentality. I think the team picks up on that too.

Then again, I'm not the one with a $1.5mil salary on the line either. :ermm:

There is a big difference between sec football and basketball. Bruce had to go out of conference to help SOS. Butch can stay in conference and play the best.

That's actually better than I expected with the season we had last year and with all we lost to the draft.

VN Store

Back