USA Today Poll

Originally posted by vol_freak@Aug 5, 2005 2:23 PM
:laugh1:

And here I thought it was becuase Casey Clausen and others were at Tom Black Track after flying in from Gainesville walking around with Roses in their mouth.  :realmad:
[snapback]122150[/snapback]​

Yeah Freak, that infuriated me. Didn't they learn anything from Florida?

Actually I didn't even know they had those available . . . sadly I probably would have.

I was away at college and not in Knoxville.

We're in a great position.

I believe Texas will do their annual choke job with Oklahoms.

I also believe USC is in for a rude awakening with life after one of the best coordinators in history.

They lost a lot on defense and I think they will not make it to the NC game.

I know that goes against conventional wisdome, but no team has ever made it to 3 NC games and won. I don't think they're as good as some of the Bama teams of the 70s 80s and the Nebraska teams of the 70s 80s.

USC will be fine...They will lose a game this year, and it will be to Cal...IMO....If we lose a game, I'm going to say its going to be LSU...We seem to have Florida figured out, even if they do have a new Coach I think we still have an advantage on them, and that's the reason why....They don't know if Urban Meyer's offense is going to click, or if its going to go down the toilet....This ain't the Mountain West so I'm going to say its going to fail, but who knows? I say if we do lose a game this year it will be to LSU....Death Valley is a VERY tough place to play....I guess we will have to see how things play out this year...GO VOLS!

Originally posted by #10_Ainge_#10@Aug 5, 2005 4:38 PM
USC will be fine...They will lose a game this year, and it will be to Cal...IMO....If we lose a game, I'm going to say its going to be LSU...We seem to have Florida figured out, even if they do have a new Coach I think we still have an advantage on them, and that's the reason why....They don't know if Urban Meyer's offense is going to click, or if its going to go down the toilet....This ain't the Mountain West so I'm going to say its going to fail, but who knows?  I say if we do lose a game this year it will be to LSU....Death Valley is a VERY tough place to play....I guess we will have to see how things play out this year...GO VOLS!
[snapback]122191[/snapback]​

You guys are surprisingly respectful of LSU. I'm impressed.

Originally posted by Atreus21@Aug 5, 2005 11:26 PM
You guys are surprisingly respectful of LSU.  I'm impressed.
[snapback]122295[/snapback]​

I think we all respect LSU and having to play them at your place. I agree with 67 in that you only have two unknowns, but those unknowns are pretty big ones: new coach and unproven QB.

I still think it should be a great game.

Originally posted by VOLracerx+Aug 5, 2005 6:46 AM-->
Came in 3rd - behind Milo's Beloved Texas!!!!!
[snapback]122040[/snapback]​
:shakehead:
<!--QuoteBegin-GatorVille
@Aug 5, 2005 10:54 AM
I cant see how everyone thinks Purdue is going to be so good.  Id put them in the 20&#39;s, not at 16.
[snapback]122086[/snapback]​

They return a good majority of their team, and all but one player on their defense. They also don&#39;t have to play Ohio State or Michigan. They are the biggest darkhorse to win the Big Ten because of their schedule.

And yes, we are all respectful of LSU. I have to say, all-around I think LSU is every bit as talented, if not slightly moreso than Tennessee. The two problems are the history of first year SEC coaches and Jamarcus Russell. If Russell handles himself well, then you guys could be unstoppable, no matter who was at the helm. Alley Broussard is an amazing RB, you guys have spectacular WR&#39;s, a rock solid defensive front with very talented d-backs. Not to say we won&#39;t, but here&#39;s to the marquee matchup of week 4.

Yeah, I dont know much about Purdue, but they faded quick last year, and lost Orton and Stubafield (sp?), their two best O weapons.

Yeah, but do they have the talent? Im sure they have to play Minn. and anytime someone has a playmaker like Marony, theyre dangerous. Also, do they have to play Iowa? I cant see how they would be able to escape the big 3 in Mich, OSU, AND Iowa. That would be down right unfair. However, if they do escape them, anytime you have a team like Minnesota as the toughest team on your schedule, you have to be favored to run the table.

Wisconsin is turning into a tough program as well. They do have to play Iowa, but they get them at home. And their QB is supposedly pretty good as well. Purdue winning the Big Ten outright is a stretch, but the consesus is that no team in the Big Ten will go undefeated. Iowa has to go to Ohio State, Ohio State has to go to Michigan and Michigan has to go to Iowa. It&#39;s a pretty peculiar situation.

Purdue just has to prove they won&#39;t choke mid-season like they did last year.

Originally posted by Atreus21@Aug 5, 2005 10:26 PM
You guys are surprisingly respectful of LSU.  I&#39;m impressed.
[snapback]122295[/snapback]​

I&#39;ve always actually pulled for LSU most of the time as long as you&#39;all are not playing against us. While there have been a few great games between our teams through the years, there really isn&#39;t the hatred there that there is for the Flas and the bammers of the world. It should be a great game :rocks:

Originally posted by MyBloodRunnethOrange@Aug 6, 2005 5:40 AM
there really isn&#39;t the hatred there that there is for the Flas and the bammers of the world.
[snapback]122577[/snapback]​

Don&#39;t say that to la.lovesorange

I don&#39;t have a problem with the poll at all. I pretty much agree with the whole thing.

I think it is a ver good poll. Nice to see that we are number 3. thats the highest we have ever started right?

Originally posted by #10_Ainge_#10@Aug 5, 2005 4:38 PM
USC will be fine...They will lose a game this year, and it will be to Cal...IMO....If we lose a game, I&#39;m going to say its going to be LSU...We seem to have Florida figured out, even if they do have a new Coach I think we still have an advantage on them, and that&#39;s the reason why....They don&#39;t know if Urban Meyer&#39;s offense is going to click, or if its going to go down the toilet....This ain&#39;t the Mountain West so I&#39;m going to say its going to fail, but who knows?  I say if we do lose a game this year it will be to LSU....Death Valley is a VERY tough place to play....I guess we will have to see how things play out this year...GO VOLS&#33;
[snapback]122191[/snapback]​

With the returning Heisman winner, one of the other five finalists returning in their backfield, and with Lienart turning down millions for the pros, I&#39;d have to say that if they lose a game, then their season is a failure.

They have nothing to accomplish but win it all with all of those factors in play.

Had Lienart (sp?) gone pro, then I think expectations would have reduced but in my opinon, which are like noses, we all have one, if USC does not go undefeated then their season is in the toilet.

Interesting Fact:

TENNESSEE The Winningest College Football Program Since 1926.. 617-215-33

Originally posted by vols2345@Aug 6, 2005 3:29 PM
I think it is a ver good poll.  Nice to see that we are number 3.  thats the highest we have ever started right?
[snapback]122675[/snapback]​

I think we started at #3 in 2002. The chinese year of the injury. :(

I thought I saw that this was our highest preseason ranking since 1999?

Originally posted by vols2345@Aug 6, 2005 3:29 PM
I think it is a ver good poll.  Nice to see that we are number 3.  thats the highest we have ever started right?
[snapback]122675[/snapback]​

If I&#39;m not mistaken the AP had us at #1 in the 99 preseason poll. If not the AP, I know we were in at least one poll.

First thing that stood out to me was F&#036;U as usual a lil too high...especially with 2 redshirt QB&#39;s that haven&#39;t seen a snap yet..and also Iowa was lower than I thought.

VN Store

Back