UT vs. Florida Discussion

WA_Vol

I'm not expecting much of a test from UAB. The real test of course is Florida.

The no.1 concern is pass defense. I think UT's pass defense last year was last or near the bottom in the sec (i was surprised by that stat). With Meyers pass happy offense they may really try to exploit the only weakness the defense has. I'm not sure if its appropriate to call it a weakness but compared to the front 7 it is. The secondary is gonna be tested early and often at Florida just like when Spurrier was coach. We've lost a lot of games to Florida because of pass defense in the past. I think we have won 3 of the last 4 with Florida though.

The other major concern is Urban Meyers offensive scheme which all the analysts seem to be so enamored with. Coaches dont have any film of Florida with this new scheme to prepare with. There will be some tune-up games for Florida to study but no doubt they will save the good stuff for UT. Lot of film of him with Utah but with the new personnel there might be some new wrinkles in that offense.

In the past, when UT played pass happy teams like Florida the real key to the game seemed to be pressuring the qb. Constant blitzes usually by backers. Basically not give them time to throw, to sit back and pick us apart. I'm thinking thats gonna be the new stategy against Meyers offensive. Hopefully with are front seven there is going to be a strong pass rush regardless if we blitze are not. However, Leak can be pretty elusive. Since Tennessee has won 2 straight, they are gonna be motivated at Florida. Playin at Florida can be a real bear.

Anybody else ready to start talking about beating the gators in the swamp? :rock:

Somewhat of a test... Hackney is one tough SOB.

As for Florida. I really have no idea how they will do. Yes, our pass defense was dead-last in the SEC and a pitiful 86th in the country last season. But we will be much better. Chris Leak, despite what most here believe, is an excellent quarterback as long as he gets time to make the play. Florida has a solid group of WR's and a veteran offensive line (Four seniors). In the end though, we have to see how Meyer handles the Gator offense.

We need to pressure Leak and make him read coverage. He can't read coverage very well. I think that may be our best bet. Get him scared.

Originally posted by oklavol@Aug 21, 2005 2:52 AM

Coaches dont have any film of Florida with this new scheme to prepare with.
[snapback]129199[/snapback]​

Sounds like a Florida Vol fan needs to sneak into a practice with a camcorder hidden in his hat.

Just kidding.

:angel:

Originally posted by LadyinOrange@Aug 21, 2005 8:27 AM
Sounds like a Florida Vol fan needs to sneak into a practice with a camcorder hidden in his hat.

Just kidding.

:angel:
[snapback]129213[/snapback]​

Think I could get away with it?

The Vols need to take 1 game at a time giving each and every weeks opponent 100% respect, preparing for each game as if every team is a powerhouse. Overlooking teams has produced upsets before and will again. Tennessee has a awesome front 7 and they need to play to their strength by putting the QB on his back....a lot. Sacks and pressured hurries will protect what some say is a fragile db group. You can have the best db's in the world but with no pressure on even a average qb he WILL find recievers, and scores.

Yes, pressure from out D-line is going to be one of the keys of the game. If we can get good pressure without the blitz we'll be sitting pretty, and really able to wreak havoc when we do blitz. Leak doesn't do well on the run, if pressure him constantly I feel confident in our chances.

Maybe Chavis will bring back the prowler... But hopefully we won't even need stunts like that.

I sure the hell hope that our boys don't go into this game with the same kind of attitude that starter of this thread has...Because if we do, we'll start off 0-1....Just take it one game at a time!

The D-line will need to get pressure on Leak. If Chavis has to blitz a lot to get pressure on him That defense will be in for a long night.

Florida will be a lot more physically ready than last year. They should be faster and stronger, I expect an aggressive team. Nobody really knows how Meyer will handle the SEC, but at the same time nobody knows how the SEC will handle Meyer. The Gators will be well coached, and well prepared, unlike they were in the Zook era.

This will be a close game, and I think the Gators will play well. Most of you think the vols will roll over UF, but I just cant see it happening. UF is on the same level of tallent as you and will be playing at home, with a lot of emotion running through them. If anyone blows somebody out I think its UF. But this game will have a margin of single digits. Geez I can't wait.

Originally posted by GatorVille@Aug 21, 2005 2:03 PM
Florida will be a lot more physically ready than last year.  They should be faster and stronger, I expect an aggressive team.  Nobody really knows how Meyer will handle the SEC, but at the same time nobody knows how the SEC will handle Meyer.  The Gators will be well coached, and well prepared, unlike they were in the Zook era. 

This will be a close game, and I think the Gators will play well.  Most of you think the vols will roll over UF, but I just cant see it happening.  UF is on the same level of tallent as you and will be playing at home, with a lot of emotion running through them.  If anyone blows somebody out I think its UF.  But this game will have a margin of single digits.  Geez I can't wait.
[snapback]129303[/snapback]​

I don't think most realistic VOL fans predict us to roll over the gators, but I don't think the gators will be as physical as the VOLS. Florida is traditionally more of a finese team, and I don't see this changing with UMs offense.

Wide open / spread / run and shoot amd other gimick offenses work great against weaker foes, but historically are stopped pretty cold by real defenses. I can't think of one "non-traditional" offense that has won an NCAA D1 or NFL Championship.

Physical line play, strong running game and stout defense wins championships and big games. This is why I predict a VOLS win, we should be favored in that regard over the gators. However, I do think the gators will score enough points to keep it close and interesting.

As much as Fulmer doesnt want it and even tries to prevent it, you KNOW that many on the team have to be thinking the same thing and looking past UAB.

Originally posted by Blazer85@Aug 21, 2005 3:48 PM
As much as Fulmer doesnt want it and even tries to prevent it, you KNOW that many on the team have to be thinking the same thing and looking past UAB.
[snapback]129309[/snapback]​

I doubt that

While UT may not have film on what CUM will look like at UF they do have film from Utah and Bowling Green also UF DC is still the same and you can expect more of the same on defense. Then you consider UT will have film from the first 2 games UF plays.

Originally posted by Vol67@Aug 21, 2005 3:53 PM
UF DC is still the same and you can expect more of the same on defense.
[snapback]129312[/snapback]​

I hope not...read about a more aggressive D this yr at GS...but haven't we been hearing that every yr? :bad:

We SHOULD be looking past UAB if we expect to have a chance in Gainesville.
UAB is a 6-5 CUSA team from a year ago...let's get real and talk about Florida.......if you want to talk about UAB go do it in the thread that was created for that. :thefinger:

Originally posted by Jmxvol@Aug 21, 2005 1:58 PM
We SHOULD be looking past UAB if we expect to have a chance in Gainesville.
UAB is a 6-5 CUSA team from a year ago...let's get real and talk about Florida.......if you want to talk about UAB go do it in the thread that was created for that. :thefinger:
[snapback]129315[/snapback]​

UAB was 7-4 last year by the way...carry on.

Originally posted by NCGatorBait@Aug 21, 2005 2:57 PM
I hope not...read about a more aggressive D this yr at GS...but haven't we been hearing that every yr? :bad:
[snapback]129314[/snapback]​

hey, why do u get to change ur text color?

i want to change mine, freak.

You mean like this?

Just use the buttons above the text box to tag your post.

Originally posted by checkerboard_charly@Aug 21, 2005 4:13 PM
hey, why do u get to change ur text color?

i want to change mine, freak.
[snapback]129325[/snapback]​

Cause I'm a Legend bro! :devilsmoke:

Florida 's DC has been the same at every school he's been DC at, I have a hard time seeing him changing his spots

pack-square11.jpg

Originally posted by GAVol@Aug 21, 2005 3:15 PM
You mean like this?

Just use the buttons above the text box to tag your post.
[snapback]129326[/snapback]​

oh yeah. i knew that.

damn i gotta stop taking drugs.

VN Store

Back