Vol67

by CollegeFootballNews

POS....UT......UAB
QB----- 5 -----24
RB-----18 ---- 48
WR---- 4 ------67
OL-----15------35
OFF---- 3------40

I'd like to think our O-Line is better than that ranking. I guess the RB's ranking is due to unproven backups.

Gotta like our D-line vs. UAB's O-Line, though. We need it to be a long day for Hackney.

On paper should be easy, but on the field may be a different story.....We will have to see come September.

I wonder what they base those numbers off of. I know the one that means the least to me is QB. UAB's QBs as a unit may be rated lower than UT's QBs as a unit, but starter to starter, Darrell Hackney is rated 14th best QB and Erik Ainge is rated 17th best (these rankings also from CFN). As far as our WR ranking, they apprently think all UAB had was Roddy White, and I can understand why people would think that. The main thing is Roddy got the most passes, but Roddy still had less than half of Hackney's 3,000 passing yards last year. Roddy had about 1,400. The other 1,600 yards were spread out over 4-5 other receivers. Their RB ranking for us MAY be fair, but we'll just have to see. They may have based their rankings more on total yardage rather than quality. If it was based on quality of running backs, I dont know many schools that had 3 RBs last year with greater than a 5 yard per carry average. We'll likely use our RBs significantly more this year than last. As far as OL, UAB fans are pretty pleased about that. We have the highest ranked OL in CUSA and in the state of Alabama.

I wonder if you will come back to earth when Tennessee rolls UAB out of Neyland.

Originally posted by BeltwayVol@Aug 8, 2005 9:07 AM
I wonder if you will come back to earth when Tennessee rolls UAB out of Neyland.
[snapback]123758[/snapback]​

Like you guys did to Kentucky at Neyland? You wonder why I bring that up. It's not just out of nowhere and for no reason.

Yeah I do wonder, consideing it was LAST SEASON.

You know what else we did last season? We beat Number 3 Georgia, in their house, we beat the piss out of a Texas A&M team that is ranked in the top 17 this season, so friggin what? They all mean about the same thing.

I'm just tired of reading how perfect UAB is, and how Hackney is this and that. Sorry to spoil your idea of him, but if he were all that great, he woulda chose UAT over UAB and if he was REALLY awesome, Tennessee would have him if they wanted him.

Actually... youre partially right about Hackney. He was looking elsewhere and many other BCS conference schools were looking at him. But then he was injured in his senior year of high school and many other schools backed off of him... except UAB.

As far as UAB being perfect, I dont believe I've ever given indication of that. But naturally, I'm going to talk more about the good things about UAB. What I'm talking about may be the past but it is certain. What youre talking about is the future and is uncertain (though youd like to think it's certain).

Hackney isnt from Alabama so he wouldnt have necessarily gone to UAT... he's from Atlanta, GA.

I think you can analyze this game all you want, but it's going to come down to two things:

1) Can the UAB defense get 2-3 turnovers?
2) Can the UAB lines withstand the pounding they are almost certain to take?

If the answer to both questions is YES, then it will be a ballgame. If the answer to EITHER question is NO, then it's going to be a long day for UAB.

Well... apparently some of yall like to put faith in these rankings. UAB has an OL ranked better than that of Auburn or Alabama. I think those OL stacked up ok to UT's DL. Our guys average about 315lbs across the line, but the range is pretty much from 290lbs-330lbs so they've got SEC size and quickness. As far as turnovers last year, I dont know how we did. We did have a number of INTs and a couple fumble recoveries, but we didnt live and die by it for sure.

I'll be very surprised if our lines don't dominate this game from start to finish. I also don't care what UAB's line is ranked in a magazine--I'd still rather go up against the Blazer's line than either Auburn or Bama anyday of the week.

Well, you may be one of those that dont put much faith in these CFN unit rankings, but some do. And for those that do, they should realize UAB is ranked above Auburn's OL. And I know some will also be tempted to pick and choose which of the rankings they think are reasonable and which ones are not. I doubt most of the people that post on here would say UAB's OL is better than Auburn's, but clearly that's what CFN believes so that should bring the credibility of ALL the rankings into question.

Blazer-Me thinkest thou protests too much.

The health of the UT team that played UK last year is alot different than the Healthy one that plays UAB

I mean the whole argument is pointless anyway. I mean on paper, clearly UT is picked to be the winner and for obvious reason, but games arent played on paper nor are they played based on games from the previous year. Just that one day, that one game... that's the only time you'll truly know.

Originally posted by Blazer85@Aug 8, 2005 11:09 AM
Like you guys did to Kentucky at Neyland?  You wonder why I bring that up.  It's not just out of nowhere and for no reason.
[snapback]123762[/snapback]​

No, like South Florida did to you by 25 in your house last year. :nener:

Originally posted by vol_freak@Aug 8, 2005 10:01 AM
No, like South Florida did to you by 25 in your house last year.  :nener:
[snapback]123792[/snapback]​

The game in the monsoon? Ah... I remember it well.

Originally posted by Blazer85@Aug 8, 2005 11:39 AM
I mean the whole argument is pointless anyway.  I mean on paper, clearly UT is picked to be the winner and for obvious reason, but games arent played on paper nor are they played based on games from the previous year.  Just that one day, that one game... that's the only time you'll truly know.
[snapback]123776[/snapback]​

You're the one that keeps trying to come in and use numbers to say how good UAB is! I LIKE the Blazers, I think Hackney may become a star one day... but any numbers you bring up are against CUSA opponents from LAST YEAR. I'm glad you root for your team and are optimistic, but you have to remember... this is a TN BOARD, and we'll do the same for our team.

Alright and that's fine. But some people dont know anything about UAB and some have even asked questions directly. For those that dont want to see those questions answered or the facts that support them, they dont have to read it... but I know there are some that do legitimately want factual answers to their question.

Originally posted by Blazer85@Aug 8, 2005 9:42 AM
I wonder what they base those numbers off of.  I know the one that means the least to me is QB.  UAB's QBs as a unit may be rated lower than UT's QBs as a unit, but starter to starter, Darrell Hackney is rated 14th best QB and Erik Ainge is rated 17th best (these rankings also from CFN).  As far as our WR ranking, they apprently think all UAB had was Roddy White, and I can understand why people would think that.  The main thing is Roddy got the most passes, but Roddy still had less than half of Hackney's 3,000 passing yards last year.  Roddy had about 1,400.  The other 1,600 yards were spread out over 4-5 other receivers.  Their RB ranking for us MAY be fair, but we'll just have to see.  They may have based their rankings more on total yardage rather than quality.  If it was based on quality of running backs, I dont know many schools that had 3 RBs last year with greater than a 5 yard per carry average.  We'll likely use our RBs significantly more this year than last.  As far as OL, UAB fans are pretty pleased about that.  We have the highest ranked OL in CUSA and in the state of Alabama.
[snapback]123751[/snapback]​

Well Maybe our wr are ahead of yours cause our top 4 recivers could all be the main reciver on your team.

Well then I can sum that up in a nice little paragraph... "UAB is a decent mid-major team with the potential to win a now much depleted CUSA, with Louisville and Cincinnati leaving for the Big East. Their offense is exclusively dependent on QB Darrell Hackney, and their defense is suspect at best. Similar to last year, the UAB offense must score 50 to even have a chance of winning a game against opponents that have even the slightest bit of offensive power."

Any questions have been answered. :D

and do you really think you can score 50 points on tennessee???

:laugh1: Cincinnati a good football team? :laugh1: :laugh1:

Louisville is the only loss to our conference in football.

If you want to think our offense is one dimensional, that's your choice, but I guarantee you that your coaches are not (or certainly better not).

I would hate to see you have to eat all your words about this game :D

Originally posted by Blazer85@Aug 8, 2005 5:11 PM
I would hate to see you have to eat all your words about this game  :D
[snapback]123959[/snapback]​

I don't think that WE are the ones who should be worrying about that. :wink2:

Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood@Aug 8, 2005 3:19 PM
I don't think that WE are the ones who should be worrying about that.  :wink2:
[snapback]123960[/snapback]​

What words would I be eating my friend?

I'm certainly not that confident we'll win, so either way, I'm not going to be let down. However, I dont think it will be nearly the blowout you guys do.

VN Store

Back