VA Tech @ Vanderbilt

The SEC is a better conference when teams have to take Vandy seriously.

Made my wife a promise to never go against them, except on the UT-Vandy game. It was her Daddy's lifelong favorite team, and she felt for her dad getting let down so much, but he kept the faith with his Commodores. It's not a hard promise to keep, and it is occasionally a kick to see Vandy stick it to a better team.

She was a hardline gators fan, but converted to UT at the Music City Bowl vs. Purdue. Her heart changed the first time she started screaming Rocky Top and gave me a great kiss afterward. She yelled in my ear she'll never wear another team's jersey except UT Orange. She went complete psycho about the overtime events. It was awesome!

I bought her $500 worth of UT clothes when we got home that night. I used the link to the clothing store here on VN. She is wearing those clothes completely out and has bought a whole lot more now. It makes me proud, and Gawd! She loves that Morgan Wallen song.

Hopefully for Shane, Va Tech looks ready for Beamer Ball 2.0

Good win Vanderbilt, but I don’t understand the decision not to try to get a little closer for that field goal with a timeout and 10 seconds left.

Reactions: SpookyAction
It's looking more and more like Virginia Tech's success was mostly or entirely due to Frank Beamer being a great coach. They have gone 34-38 since the start of the 2018 season.

Which is how it quite often really is.

VT is hot garbage ….. they’re mediocre at best …. But Vandy didn’t quit. Still hate the SOBs

The SEC is a better conference when teams have to take Vandy seriously.

Made my wife a promise to never go against them, except on the UT-Vandy game. It was her Daddy's lifelong favorite team, and she felt for her dad getting let down so much, but he kept the faith with his Commodores. It's not a hard promise to keep, and it is occasionally a kick to see Vandy stick it to a better team.

She was a hardline gators fan, but converted to UT at the Music City Bowl vs. Purdue. Her heart changed the first time she started screaming Rocky Top and gave me a great kiss afterward. She yelled in my ear she'll never wear another team's jersey except UT Orange. She went complete psycho about the overtime events. It was awesome!

I bought her $500 worth of UT clothes when we got home that night. I used the link to the clothing store here on VN. She is wearing those clothes completely out and has bought a whole lot more now. It makes me proud, and Gawd! She loves that Morgan Wallen song.
Cool story, sounds like you got a good one.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Va Tech lost because of a lack of attention to detail: 2 players with the same number on the punt that let Vandy get the field goal

It's looking more and more like Virginia Tech's success was mostly or entirely due to Frank Beamer being a great coach. They have gone 34-38 since the start of the 2018 season.
They are close to some pretty good recruiting areas (Norfolk area and DC area), but perhaps they are a program that requires an elite coach in order to be good. They are 34-29 in ACC play since Beamer retired. There are certain programs in the sport that can be good, even really good, without elite coaching. Almost all of them are in the SEC, and VA Tech certainly isn't one of them.

Justin Fuente was thought to be a pretty good hire at the time, and his first 2 seasons weren't bad. In fact his debut season was their best season in several years. Not sure what happened there.

Tech was largely a creation of endless ESPN hype during the Vick era. They more or less created “Beamer Ball” out of nothing. Emphasize defense and the kicking game? Seems like there was a Maxim or two created on those while Beamer was still pooping his diapers.

Once Vick left, Beamer and Tech coasted on the hype until ESPN got bored. Now they are back where they belong. Losing to Vandy.

It’s 1982 all over again.

They are close to some pretty good recruiting areas (Norfolk area and DC area), but perhaps they are a program that requires an elite coach in order to be good. They are 34-29 in ACC play since Beamer retired. There are certain programs in the sport that can be good, even really good, without elite coaching. Almost all of them are in the SEC, and VA Tech certainly isn't one of them.

Justin Fuente was thought to be a pretty good hire at the time, and his first 2 seasons weren't bad. In fact his debut season was their best season in several years. Not sure what happened there.
Blacksburg is a tough sell for a lot of recruits.
I think Fuente is a good coach, but they feasted on weak competition for a time and then faded.
Vanderbilt is 50th in the 2024 talent composite and VATech is 52nd.

They are well-positioned to be included in the winner's bracket when some of the ACC gets folded into something new. The new landscape of NIL and transfers will be a tough one for their program, but I think programs can feast on 3star transfers to maintain or increase talent levels on a roster. They will simply have to find the good bets among hundreds of letdowns. There are enough good players looking for playing time who are leaving elite teams to float some programs along if they win some bets on players in the portal.

The Vick brothers proved that a team with 2 or 3 elite players on offense can beat some good teams.

And look at the school before he got there:

They had a total 11 seasons of 8+ wins across 95 years.

VN Store

Back