Vanessa Williams to Sing ‘BLACK National Anthem’ for PBS’ Capitol Fourth Celebration

Franklin Pierce

NEW YORK (AP) — When Vanessa Williams hosts this year’s televised Capitol Fourth celebration, she will not only honor the nation’s traditional independence day, but also the country’s newly designated holiday — Juneteenth.

Williams, who was the first Black woman to be crowned Miss America, will sing “Lift Every Voice and Sing,” which has served as the Black National Anthem.

“It’s in celebration of the wonderful opportunity that we now have to celebrate Juneteenth. So we are reflective of the times,” she told the Associated Press on Thursday while promoting this year’s show.

Vanessa Williams to Sing 'Black National Anthem' for PBS' Capitol Fourth Celebration

NEW YORK (AP) — When Vanessa Williams hosts this year’s televised Capitol Fourth celebration, she will not only honor the nation’s traditional independence day, but also the country’s newly designated holiday — Juneteenth.

Williams, who was the first Black woman to be crowned Miss America, will sing “Lift Every Voice and Sing,” which has served as the Black National Anthem.

“It’s in celebration of the wonderful opportunity that we now have to celebrate Juneteenth. So we are reflective of the times,” she told the Associated Press on Thursday while promoting this year’s show.

Vanessa Williams to Sing 'Black National Anthem' for PBS' Capitol Fourth Celebration

Will the Trans flag be a flyin as well. Such a unity message.
Suggest everyone watch..It was against authoritarianism and the "slavery" of such

Soon we will need a six hour concert once we add:
The Hispanic national anthem, the Asian American national anthem, the Native American national anthem, the Pacific Islander American national anthem, the gay national anthem, the lesbian national anthem, the transgender national anthem, the Arab American national anthem, the Bosnian American national anthem, the gay black national anthem, the lesbian black national anthem, the atheist national anthem, the transgender Bosnian atheist national anthem, the Bisexual black atheist national anthem, the lesbian Pacific Islander national anthem……and the list goes on and in and on

The Hispanic national anthem, the Asian American national anthem, the Native American national anthem, the Pacific Islander American national anthem, the gay national anthem, the lesbian national anthem, the transgender national anthem, the Arab American national anthem, the Bosnian American national anthem, the gay black national anthem, the lesbian black national anthem, the atheist national anthem, the transgender Bosnian atheist national anthem, the Bisexual black atheist national anthem, the lesbian Pacific Islander national anthem……and the list goes on and in and on

EZmtOJmXQAASbt1.jpg

Reactions: Vol737
There is ONE and ONLY ONE national anthem. Now I would vote to change the song to Rocky Top if it were me, but still, a national whose motto is e pluribus unum by definition only needs ONE anthem. But what do I know?

You have no empathy. She is so brave

Even in that era they understood.

Your supposition could come under cherry picking. One or two minority voices who match your beliefs does not mean a majority do.

I suppose those who want to sing Lift Every Voice and Sing should just be content not to be property anymore, or constitute 3/5 of a person, or have the right to vote, or not have to go through poll tests. Nothing really for them to celebrate.

Your supposition could come under cherry picking. One or two minority voices who match your beliefs does not mean a majority do.

I suppose those who want to sing Lift Every Voice and Sing should just be content not to be property anymore, or constitute 3/5 of a person, or have the right to vote, or not have to go through poll tests. Nothing really for them to celebrate.

Now u gone full potato, Nothing to celebrate?
Newsflash....systemic racism is DEAD.

Regardless, this is not even abot racism anymore. It is wealth redistibution and a reform of our ecomic model..ie whitey bad.

Your thoughts are really disappointing.
Natives of the world would agree.

Reactions: NEO
Now u gone full potato, Nothing to celebrate?
Newsflash....systemic racism is DEAD.

Regardless, this is not even abot racism anymore. It is wealth redistibution and a reform of our ecomic model..ie whitey bad.

I forgot to blue font my last sentence.

Not everything is nefarious or of ill intent. If you don't want to hear Lift Every Voice and Sing, change the channel or hit mute. No reason to get your hackles raised.

Forgot to blue font that last sentence.

Not everything is nefarious or of ill intent. If you don't want to hear Lift Every Voice and Sing, change the channel or hit mute. No reason to get your hackles raised.

My hackles are raised....not at you.
To deny that the opportunity of this nation, regardless of race or creed, is denied bacause of some systemic issue is hogwash.
Nationalities of all flavors "flock to this nation" and thrive. So much that we have a "problem" in keeping them from flooding our system

Reactions: TNVOLNAVY

It will just match the number of holidays on the same date. At least retailers will have more options for sales dates.

Reactions: StarRaider
I wonder if this will catch fire the same way Kwanza did.

giphy.gif

Reactions: FLVOL_79

VN Store

Back