Vanilla offense

Not with a Vanilla offense. You try that with that team, and they kick our patootie. However, I start out with a run heavy offense to see if our OL can push them around,and gorge them for major yardage. If you, let that be our calling card for the game. If not, go nuclear. Trust me, playing pattycake with NCST is baaaaddd idea.

But one thing I'd like to try. If it doesn't upset the QB room. Let Nic sit for the whole or just part of the 1st half. Put Gaston Moore out there to see how it goes. I think he'd be very effective. If good enough go a whole quarter before wee Nic, I think it forces OU to prepare for both QBs, but we throw a full Nic at them. Crazy idea, but I was a sane person.
No.

It’s NC State. There is no reason why we shouldn’t dominate them. If we don’t, that’s gonna raise some serious questions about the rest of the season.
Lord knows it won't take much for you to start asking "serious questions", regardless of what happens.

Like I said, the best team we've had in 20 years, a playoff caliber team, took Pitt to overtime in a game we only won because they had a GA playing QB by the end of it.

It's the 2nd game of the year. Nico and the receivers are going to be completely different players from game two to game twelve. I think we all know that.

No reason to chalk this game up as a win and certainly no reason to panic if it's close. The spread will have us favored around a touchdown. This isn't Bowling Green here...

It’s the 5th of July and I’m off work and it’s raining. Boredom setting in. Here ya go.
Do we keep it vanilla against NC state and take care of business, while saving the goods for OU? Or do we flex and rout them?
PS this is hypothetical and hopefully we don’t have to throw the book at nc state for a win.

We better come out and play our best game if we want to win.

Case in point. They are coming off a 9 win season with a greatly improved QB. I'm certainty not picking us to lose but the whole "It's NC State so we should blow them out" thinking is a trap. Right now Vegas has us a 4.5-5.5 pt favorite, I think that's probably about right.
I never claimed a blow out but I do expect to win by 2 scores. Fingers crossed it’s over at halftime

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
NC State will be a very good team, needing all 60 minutes to beat them is more likely to happen than winning by 3 scores
I hope I’m wrong but I can see this game being very close. I think we’ll win but I don’t believe it will be a cakewalk.

Reactions: volmanjr
Then you should try a REAL shake. Ever heard of a Bourbon Milk Punch?
Heck! Go all out and drinkit with a slice of Vanilla Buttermilk Pie.
Best buttermilk pie I ever had was made by a drugged out old hippie. He had it down pat

Considering Nico has still only started one game, I think we run whatever Nico needs to get comfortable with. Plus that connection between Nico and his receivers has to be developed fully at game speed. Practice can only take you so far

We will have some plays for individual playmakers that CJH will hold back to catch OU by surprise but NC State is no slouch and I suspect we will have a good competitive game until the 4th quarter. I hope for a beat down but plan for a competitive game.

Considering Nico has still only started one game, I think we run whatever Nico needs to get comfortable with. Plus that connection between Nico and his receivers has to be developed fully at game speed. Practice can only take you so far
Yeah it’s gonna be the second decent or better defense Nico’s played at the college level. It’s more important to get him and the WRs in a rhythm than to be coy.

Not to mention it will be the first real test for our new DB unit. If they don’t live up to expectations it could quickly turn into a barn burner.

This will be a close game NC State is rated higher or right with us in every poll except the EA poll we didn't make the top 25. The big game changer is, if Nico is a dynamic QB or if he turns into a game manager early in the season. He just has one start and didn't throw for very many yards vs Iowa but that was a weird game we basically scored 2 TDs with our D a Pearce pick 6 and the QB fumble on the 5-yard line. So this early in the season I'm not as confident in a blowout like many on here. Bottom line if Nico plays with Heisman numbers this year, we are good to go 10 or more wins.

It’s the 5th of July and I’m off work and it’s raining. Boredom setting in. Here ya go.
Do we keep it vanilla against NC state and take care of business, while saving the goods for OU? Or do we flex and rout them?
PS this is hypothetical and hopefully we don’t have to throw the book at nc state for a win.
This is the kind of attitude that would get a team beat!!! However, this will not be the attitude of our coaches and players, (thank goodness).

^This. NC State is going to be good, and regardless of what the TV execs are calling it, it will likely be a home game for them. We should win the game, but their QB is talented and they will test us. If we win and we were to win the game easily, that would tell us a lot about who we will be this season.

A home game? I'm not even sure they'll have more in attendance than us. They definitely won't takeover the stadium. We get more people at a bowl game in Florida than they can even seat at actual home games. One of these fanbases is not like the other.

We won’t play vanilla but I seriously think they have a hard time blocking us. With the push up the middle and whoever is opposite Pearce rather it’s Josephs or West, they are going to feast. We saw West get two sacks in the bowl game, he’s just heating up. And of course they won’t be able to keep JPJ off of McCall, that’s just a given. Expect a USCjr/A&M/Iowa type game from him.

VN Store

Back