Very encouraging quote

"We’re going to get the ball to our playmakers,” Clawson said.

While quotes can be encouraging, let's see it.

I was so fired up about Clawson last year. I even commended Phil for going outside of the UT box to pick up this great find. Boy was I wrong, but so were a lot of us
Posted via VolNation Mobile

In previous pre-seasons I've let myself get drawn in to high hopes. Like when we were preseason ranked 3rd, when the Clawfense was coming, etc. While I love the Vols and still hope, I'm going to be patient and understand while we do enjoy an elite staff and re-energized players with a favorable schedule other than 2 ugly road trips...there will be mistakes and a learning curve this season. My utmost hope is that our guys learn and apply after game 1....punish UCLA...and then SHOW UP PREPARED for a brutal tough game with the Gators for respect.

pretty sure I sat and watched in the rain as UT put up a big goose egg. The offense never looked prepared to play UF

If you sat through that debacle like I did, I consider you a brother. It was raining so hard, rain was collecting in big pools on my rain parka.

Originally Posted by utvolpj
pretty sure I sat and watched in the rain as UT put up a big goose egg. The offense never looked prepared to play UF

If you are speaking of the 96 game when it was like 35-0 at one point in the first half, I was there as well. It was a long wet walk back to Shelbourne Towers.

Lane and his coaching staff have all had success , extreme success in some cases , at various levels of college and the NFL .

The best predictor of future success ?? Past success .
There is past success all over this coaching staff .

I take CLK's comments a bit more seriously .

You might want to be a little more cautious with your thinking. In spite of what most think here, Clawson is NOT a bad coach or some sort of bush league guy. He was and still is thought highly of by many in the profession.

I am hopeful that CLK and his system will be a better fit. I'm very confident that his emphasis on discipline and conditioning will pay dividends immediately... but those things must emanate first from the HC in most situations. Cut was successful because he had a history with CPF and could get away with doing things his own way.

If you'll think back to remember, Clawson and staff came in on the heels of horrendous discipline problems. They had to try to get their feet planted, install a system, and deal with these discipline issues in the context of the way CPF did things.

I guess I'll count myself in the minority of folks that aren't thrilled with the possible implications of this comment. I like it much better a few weeks ago when CLK asserted that UT would impose its will on the opponent and execute at a level that couldn't be resisted.

Of course there's some overlap. You always want to take advantage of weaknesses... but I got my fill of "take what the defense gives" when Sanders was OC.

Great teams like great boxers impose their will on the opponent. Yes look for opening. Yes exploit weaknesses. But in the end having a signature punch that no one can stop makes you a champion.

Originally Posted by utvolpj

If you are speaking of the 96 game when it was like 35-0 at one point in the first half, I was there as well. It was a long wet walk back to Shelbourne Towers.

I meant the 94 game but that one works too. I went to all of the UT-UF games from 94-98.

If you sat through that debacle like I did, I consider you a brother. It was raining so hard, rain was collecting in big pools on my rain parka.

I was at that one but the light rain in 94 that caused the 'L' painted on my chest to run was almost the hardest. Best seats I ever had as a student

its exciting to thing that are D could be better than last year. even on a unmotivated team we where top 5 in the nation. scarry for other teams to think about.

People seem to forget that our schedule was a huge factor in having a top 5 defense.

i saw a stat somewhere that the average offense rank we faced last year was like 91st or something pathetic like that.

i've had my heart broken too many times holding a lead only to watch it get chipped away with a huge feeling of helplessness. its scarred me for life. i liked chavez but have fun at lsu good sir

Chavis had a great run at UT. His coaching was the only bright spots in our two worst seasons (2005,2008). He loved UT and had some fire. People forget that he was voted as the top Assistant Coach in the country by whom? Other coaches! That is one heck of an honor to be judged by your peers like that. I wish Chavis, Cut, and Phil well. I hope those guys have success wherever they go, but if they play Kiffin and Co...the well wishes will be over.

You might want to be a little more cautious with your thinking. In spite of what most think here, Clawson is NOT a bad coach or some sort of bush league guy. He was and still is thought highly of by many in the profession.

I am hopeful that CLK and his system will be a better fit. I'm very confident that his emphasis on discipline and conditioning will pay dividends immediately... but those things must emanate first from the HC in most situations. Cut was successful because he had a history with CPF and could get away with doing things his own way.

If you'll think back to remember, Clawson and staff came in on the heels of horrendous discipline problems. They had to try to get their feet planted, install a system, and deal with these discipline issues in the context of the way CPF did things.

I guess I'll count myself in the minority of folks that aren't thrilled with the possible implications of this comment. I like it much better a few weeks ago when CLK asserted that UT would impose its will on the opponent and execute at a level that couldn't be resisted.

Of course there's some overlap. You always want to take advantage of weaknesses... but I got my fill of "take what the defense gives" when Sanders was OC.

Great teams like great boxers impose their will on the opponent. Yes look for opening. Yes exploit weaknesses. But in the end having a signature punch that no one can stop makes you a champion.

I agree with alot of what you say . I know that Clawson is not Bush league ...but compared to Lane and Chaneys offensive success in D1 ...he doesn't have the same resume . Clawson's O tanked at Richmond year 1 and grew until it was a monster in year 4 .

I agree that you must do what you do well against anyone ...and enjoyed the boxing analogy ( I had a 12 year amateur boxing career and a cup of coffee in the pros ! ) BUT there has to be that balance . Sanders was maybe over balanced the other way . Think about UCLA ...we were almost 7 yards a carry rushing ...but seemed to want to pass the whole game with a QB and Oline that appearred inept in doing so .

I think my point with the whole thread . Kiffin wants to emulate USC ..but appears to have the knowledge that UT is not there yet and is willing to morph what he does to who he has . The Gators offer a multiple attack ...they are a power running team , they are a spread passing team . USC is the same . Oklahoma wanted to be this way last season . All three of those teams will beat their opponents in a different way week to week . I hope that is where UT is going with this .

VN Store

Back