Volfreak, Bhamvolfan

QBvol7

Anyone got any dirt on this? There was a headline on govols.com/Xtra but I dont subscribe. Freak, heard anything on the radio's? BHAMVOLFAN heard anything in inbreeding country bout this?

It's just old news. He was ineliglibe for a couple of days before the game but it was cleared up before game time. Nothing new.

Originally posted by vol_freak@Mar 17, 2005 11:03 AM
It's just old news. He was ineliglibe for a couple of days before the game but it was cleared up before game time. Nothing new.

I knew about that. But there was an article posted on govols-Xtra. I didnt know if something new popped up on ti or what.

I remember that there was rumor he had suffered a concussion on the INT he threw against UGA the previous week when he tried to tackle the the guy that intercepted the ball. Or was that the cover up for him possibly not being able to play vs. Bama.

Here you go QB7......

Martin was ineligible before Alabama game
By MIKE GRIFFITH, knsgriff@aol.com
March 17, 2005

Former Tennessee quarterback Tee Martin revealed he was ineligible in the days leading up to the 1999 Alabama game, and he believes Tide supporters were behind it.

"It's a heated rivalry,'' Martin said. "It's going to be back and forth.''

Martin, who played at UT 1996-99, was in Knoxville Wednesday working out at Tennessee's Pro Day.

"Someone made a phone call Wednesday (the week of the Alabama game); they called the SEC office about someone buying me a car,'' said Martin, who helped UT to the 1998 national title. "I was ineligible for two days. Two or three hours before the game, they're like, 'You can play.' ''

And play Martin did, with a vengeance. The Mobile, Ala., native ran for two TDs and passed for another as UT beat Alabama 21-7.

"It felt very personal to me,'' Martin said. "I wanted to kill them.''

The Tide recruited Martin, but the Alabama program committed a secondary violation during the process, eliminating the Tide from Martin's choice of schools.

As for the allegations that led to Martin's temporary suspension in 1999, UT investigators found that Martin's car insurance and registration checked out prior to the Alabama game.

However, had the NCAA known about Martin's dealings with then Mobile Register sportswriter Wayne Rowe, he might not have been eligible.

A May 2002 investigation into $3,900 in Western Union transfers from Rowe to Martin resulted in UT being charged with a secondary violation. Had the violation been discovered during Martin's UT career, he could have been suspended for multiple games and ordered to make restitution before being resinstated.

Martin knew the 49-year-old Rowe throughout his childhood and admits he accepted money from him.

Martin said there was nothing illegal about accepting money from Rowe and doesn't feel what he did constituted a violation.

Rowe, who has since left the newspaper business, claimed he sent Martin money on behalf of UT fan Dianne Sanford, an insurance executive in Mobile and friend of the Martin family.

Martin said he believes Rowe was paid to make false allegations.

"I've tried to make logical sense of it, and that's all I can make out of it,'' Martin said. "He got an offer from somewhere to hurt the Tennessee program.''

Martin said the ordeal was hurtful. He's still upset some assumed he knowingly broke rules. Martin said he understands Dickey's responsibility to protect the program, but he remains disappointed Dickey had him banned from the UT sidelines while the investigation involving Rowe was underway.

Good stuff. I bet it helped Martin play harder that game. He was SEC Offensive PLayer of the Week for that game. Threw for 1 and ran for 2. Bama couldnt stop him running that day. His 21 yard scamper was my favorite run ever by Martin.

I think that one's been beaten to death already. The NCAA, the SEC and the University found no wrongdoing on the part of the program.

read this. its interesting.

Tee Martin puts blame on 'Bama

By CHRIS LOW
Staff Writer

KNOXVILLE — Tee Martin was back on campus yesterday and not pulling any punches about the allegations that dogged him a few years ago.

The quarterback on Tennessee's 1998 national championship team, Martin said Alabama supporters were behind the whole ordeal and convinced former Mobile (Ala.) Register sports writer Wayne Rowe to concoct a story that Martin received illegal payments from Rowe.

''He got an offer from somebody wanting to try and hurt the Tennessee program,'' said Martin, who has a wax statue erected of him in the Neyland-Thompson Sports Center.

''I don't think it was me, personally, they were trying to hurt. I think forces were trying to hurt our program. People were mad about Tennessee getting investigated and getting slapped on the hand. He was just a vehicle for them to use.''

The Southeastern Conference and NCAA investigated the matter and ruled in January 2003 Tennessee would not face any penalties. However, the NCAA did say that Martin violated NCAA amateurism bylaws while playing at Tennessee, violations that would have made Martin ineligible had the information been available at the time he was still playing.

Martin, who has an offer to play for Winnipeg of the CFL next season, says he never received any ''illegal'' money. He admitted receiving money from Rowe, whom he has known since childhood. But Martin said he never called Mobile businesswoman Dianne Sanford for any money.

Rowe said he sent $4,500 to Martin on behalf of Sanford, who denied those claims. The NCAA ultimately ruled Sanford, whose late husband was a UT fan, nor Rowe was a Tennessee booster.

''It was a big deal because it was Alabama,'' said Martin, who now lives in Atlanta. ''That's how much hatred there is in the Tennessee-Alabama rivalry.''

Former UT Athletics Director Doug Dickey and former compliance director Malcolm McInnis went to Mobile to investigate the matter in 1999 and didn't find any improprieties.

''I don't care about Alabama. But if you say, 'I did something wrong,' then I care about defending me and defending Tennessee. But don't lie about what we did. We didn't do anything wrong. That's what I cared about.''

Martin, who's from Mobile, said Alabama supporters had already targeted him in 1999 when his 1996 Chevrolet Tahoe and the insurance on that vehicle came under scrutiny.

Martin said he didn't know he was going to be allowed to play in the game until a few hours before kickoff. He said he found out as he was leaving the hotel on his way to the stadium.

''I knew the call was made and that they were lying, and then they did something with my mother the week before that down in Mobile,'' said Martin, who alleged that his mother was refused service at a television store in Mobile.

''I took it very, very personally. The game was in Tuscaloosa, too. Before that, it had been in Birmingham, so it was the first shot I got at them in Tuscaloosa, and I wanted to kill them.''

Tennessee won 21-7, and Martin accounted for all three touchdowns – the last one coming on a 21-yard run.

Martin also remains uncomfortable with the way he was treated by Dickey during the 2002 game against Georgia in Athens.

Dickey had Martin removed from the Vols' sideline. At the time, the NCAA's investigation was ongoing, and Dickey was upset about not being able to get more information from Martin.

''I opened my bank account to everybody,'' Martin said. ''I told everybody what I did and said there's nothing wrong with what I did. To be assumed guilty before it was proven was bad for me, and not only that, but so were the statements Coach Dickey made about not wanting me to be around the team I'd been around for four years and loved.

''For him to make those statements, that was hurtful. I understood that he was trying to protect the university, and that's what is most important. But I didn't think he had to go about it that way.''

Martin said he's talked to Dickey a few times since that incident, although Martin said Dickey has never apologized.

This is all that matters:

The NCAA ultimately ruled Sanford, whose late husband was a UT fan, nor Rowe was a Tennessee booster.

yes i know. but, he did take money illegally. now i am not trying to change anything just saying that we got lucky.

i think there may be more to this.

but ill take the title

It's not illegal if they are not a booster or if they are lifelong family friends.

Pretty much the only way you can believe that there was something illegal here would be if you believed the Bammer conspiracy theory that CPF cut a deal with the NCAA to supress the investigation in return for dirt on Alabama. That would put you squarely among the likes of Tommy Gallion, Paul Finebaum, etc. Good luck . . .

I've had this argument more than you can imagine with Bammers. In short, there is a provision in the NCAA bylaws that you can receive money from non-family members under certain conditions - the giver cannot be an "agent" of the university (someone who has given money to the univ or is connected in any other way).

Think about, if you were a promising athlete from a poor family and a family friend wanted to help you with college costs (car, food, etc.) there has to be a way to do that.

Essentially, this is what the NCAA ruled in this case. Bammers don't believe it claiming Sanford is considered an "agent" or "booster" but NCAA said she was not.

Nothing illegal if the sanctioning body says it's clean.

They have tried everything in the world to pin Martin to the wall. Nohting worked, nothing will ever work. Because it is bull...

I agree... nothing illegal about the accepted money by Tee. When I was in college, friends of my parents helped me out with some minor expenses. I don't think that is illegal, regardless whether you are an athlete or not.

Anybody who thinks that the money accepted by Tee was illegal MUST be a bammer.

Alabama sucks!

The way this plays out on Bammer Boards:

"Martin Played Illegally" :cool:

"Tennessee to Forfeit Game" :shakeit:

"Fulmer Paid Off SEC Front Office To Keep Martin Eligible" :beer:

"Little Green Men Land Just Outside of Tuscaloosa" :dlol:

“Fulmer Declared Anti-Christ” :bow:

"Roll Tide Roll" :crap:

Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood@Mar 17, 2005 11:39 AM
And play Martin did, with a vengeance. The Mobile, Ala., native ran for two TDs and passed for another as UT beat Alabama 21-7.

"It felt very personal to me,'' Martin said. "I wanted to kill them.''

Welcome to the club, Tee!

This is great stuff, rehashing a deadbeat case that has long been decided. Isn't it enough that the losers already ruined everybody's NCAA brackets?

Can't wait for the whipping we're gonna lay on 'em in October. I've always hated Bama, but every allegation and attempt to smear our program (which is obviously out of Bama's class, or lack thereof) just fires me up even more.

BUCK FAMA. GO VOLS!

:bammer:

Originally posted by kiddiedoc+Mar 18, 2005 11:34 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kiddiedoc @ Mar 18, 2005 11:34 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Orangewhiteblood@Mar 17, 2005 11:39 AM

"It felt very personal to me,&#39;&#39; Martin said. "I wanted to kill them.&#39;&#39;

Welcome to the club, Tee&#33;

This is great stuff, rehashing a deadbeat case that has long been decided. Isn&#39;t it enough that the losers already ruined everybody&#39;s NCAA brackets?

Can&#39;t wait for the whipping we&#39;re gonna lay on &#39;em in October. I&#39;ve always hated Bama, but every allegation and attempt to smear our program (which is obviously out of Bama&#39;s class, or lack thereof) just fires me up even more.

BUCK FAMA. GO VOLS&#33;

:bammer: [/quote]
Listen, you gotta stop holding back. Let it out. Holding all that anger in is just not healthy. You should know that Doc. :p

Sorry OldVol, but with a name like yours, surely you understand. (And have no idea what this "Florida is our biggest rival" crap is all about).

It&#39;s OK. I&#39;ve had lunch and a noontime caffeine burst. I feel much better now. Just breathe. . . .

Originally posted by kiddiedoc@Mar 18, 2005 1:09 PM
Sorry OldVol, but with a name like yours, surely you understand. (And have no idea what this "Florida is our biggest rival" crap is all about).

It&#39;s OK. I&#39;ve had lunch and a noontime caffeine burst. I feel much better now. Just breathe. . . .

If you&#39;ve seen the movie "Anger Management" with Adam Sandler and Jack Nicholson, repeat after me, "I feel pretty, oh so pretty ...." or "Goosfraba."

Now, if you&#39;ve not seen the movie, that means absolutely nothing.

Try it anyway .......

"Goosfraba" ... "Goosfraba" :blink:

VN Store

Back