"Vols defense....worth watching"

Jacksonvol

For those not in Middle Tn, today's Tennessean had the following article by David Climer who is usually negative toward anything orange....

"Climer:Tennessee Vols defense may be worth watching...

Bottom line: UT is not as devoid of defensive talent as it seemed last season. The Vols were just poorly coached. New defensive coordinator John Jancek, who worked with Vols head coach Butch Jones the previous three years at Cincinnati, is now in charge and has a reputation for a fundamentally sound, aggressive system.

Jones steadfastly has declined to comment on how the team was coached by the previous regime. Asked recently about his expectations on defense, Jones noted there will be “some challenges as we adjust to a new scheme” and then said he was cautiously optimistic.

“We have some good football players on that side of the ball,” he said. “What we need to do as coaches is get everybody on the same page.”

http://www.tennessean.com/article/2...orth-watching?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people
Bottom line: UT is not as devoid of defensive talent as it seemed last season. The Vols were just poorly coached. New defensive coordinator John Jancek, who worked with Vols head coach Butch Jones the previous three years at Cincinnati, is now in charge and has a reputation for a fundamentally sound, aggressive system.

:rock:

It would take an act of God for the defense to not improve this season, this coaching staff as a whole is going to look really good by comparison if they can just get the team to be mildly competent.

Climer plagiarized me. I have been arguing the same basic thing with people here for several months. This D is not without talent. They aren't Bama or LSU yet. But they aren't UK or Mizzou either.

In my estimation, their talent is at or just above mid-pack compared to the rest of the SEC.

Reactions: 5 people
But, but, but Dooley is a great coach and only needs more time...
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Moronic attempt at sarcasm...

Who is saying he only needs more time? Most of those who argued that he should get a legitimate chance are satisfied that he got it and have moved on. Only a few folks like you seem unable to put his time in perspective and let go.

Reactions: 12 people
Compare 2011 D vs 2013 D:

2011 Defense under Wilcox was decent.

Since 2011, we've lost very few impact players. Malik Jackson, Herman Lathers and Prentis Waggner are the only players of note that we have lost off that 2011 defense.

Since then we've added Big Dan McCullers and the rest of our D line has gotten 2 years older.

You'd have to think that our secondary and linebacking core have gotten better simply by being two years older and adding a few players that can hopefully make a difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Compare 2011 D vs 2013 D:

2011 Defense under Wilcox was decent.

Since 2011, we've lost very few impact players. Malik Jackson, Herman Lathers and Prentis Waggner are the only two players of note that we have lost off that 2011 defense.

Since then we've added Big Dan McCullers and the rest of our D line has gotten 2 years older.

You'd have to think that our secondary and linebacking core have gotten better simply by being two years older and adding a few players that can hopefully make a difference.

The only two?

Moronic attempt at sarcasm...

Who is saying he only needs more time? Most of those who argued that he should get a legitimate chance are satisfied that he got it and have moved on. Only a few folks like you seem unable to put his time in perspective and let go.

Nobody is saying it now chief, but there were people saying a year ago. And people like you are unable to let things go. Dr. Phil would call you a "right fighter."

Reactions: 1 person
I'm still trying to understand why anyone would care what Climer thought about anything.

Reactions: 4 people
The only two?

Whoops. Originally forgot about Waggner then added him after I had typed the post.

Bottom line, we still have a lot of the same players on D from 2011 and we've lost almost nothing since then. We should be better at every position when comparing to the 2011 defense.

I'm not even acknowledging the 2012 season under Sunseri.

I'm honestly more concerned about the offense than defense. The O is adopting a new system and lost key playmakers from last year. The defense has a new coordinator with an established reputation and is returning to scheme they already know well. I expect this year to be similar to 2010.

:dance2:I think the D will surprise alot of people, think we will be in middle of pack in the SEC and if we can get any thing good out of the QB, we could surprise a few teams this year. I never thought be dancing in the streets about 8 wins, but some how pull 8 out with this bunch, that would be reason enough to go dancing.:dance2:

Well; to me and I usually back our coaches to the end, found myself not wanting to hear the word multiplicity from Sal, because it became the go to word when explaining what defense UT was running. I think it was "Impress you word" when not able to carry a conversation with the media.

Whoops. Originally forgot about Waggner then added him after I had typed the post.

Bottom line, we still have a lot of the same players on D from 2011 and we've lost almost nothing since then. We should be better at every position when comparing to the 2011 defense.

I'm not even acknowledging the 2012 season under Sunseri.

My grandmother could call a better game than SAL, she died in 1993.:)

I remember how excited we all were about Sal, his philosophy, and get after em' attitude. Sadly, talk is cheap, and has been proven many times over. Bottom line, Sal didn't have a clue how to stop an offense.

It amazes me that Sal and DirDik were around football so long to have learned so little. Now they're gone on to be a burden some place else and we got BUTCH and he gets it. And away we go...........

I expect this year to be similar to 2010.

A very reasonable expectation.

Add to this that if the offense plays to its strength (OL), then they will run the ball more than last year which uses more game clock. This should result in fewer plays run in the game so fewer plays for the defense to defend. less opportunities to give up yardage and points.

Nobody is saying it now chief, but there were people saying a year ago. And people like you are unable to let things go. Dr. Phil would call you a "right fighter."

I enjoy debating... arguing. I don't mind getting into the details (mud) and wrestling with the pigs. Frankly, it is a part of why I frequent here.

But yes. I argued that there is a "correct" way to manage a situation like the one UT was in a year ago. The correct way was NOT to hire a coach to clean up a train wreck then fire him (regardless of his name or resume) in less than 3 years. Forget Dooley. If he had been fired like that you can be sure that ANY prospective replacement would have been more sympathetic to Dooley than UT or its fans.

Dooley got a 3 year shot at fixing a mess and proving he could coach. He leaves the program on better footing than he found it but he also proved he was not the right guy going forward. Someone had to do some bleeding... and he did. IMHO, it was better to be done by someone who was a better administrator of a football program than coach of a football team.

Dr Phil? Really? You actually referenced Dr Phil while trying to chastise someone? Sorry but that is weak.

Reactions: 8 people
Or his original - Odds are he'd still be here if Wilcox hadn't left

Agreed... and in the long run things are better the way it happened. I am pretty well convinced that Dooley was never going to be a championship coach in K'ville. He could have held on to the job for several years though by making the Vols an also-ran again.

VN Store

Back