Vols Fall Practice #4

Fingers

Tennessee received unfortunate news this weekend when it found out that junior defensive back Jourdan Thomas will miss the 2024 season with a knee injury he suffered in practice on Saturday. Thomas was seen at Sunday's practice in a scooter and a walking boot. Several teammates in the secondary were seen consoling Thomas. The veteran was perceived to be the favorite to start at the STAR position in Tim Banks' defense.
Freshman wideout Mike Matthews, transfer cornerback Jalen McMurray and freshman linebacker Jordan Burns continue to be limited and work off to the side without pads on, as they have done all camp.
Offensive tackle John Campbell Jr., offensive guard Andrej Karic and wide receivers Donte Thornton Jr. and Kaleb Webb were added to the list of limited participants on Sunday morning. All three were dressed out, but standing off to the side as their position groups went through individual drills.
Running back Cameron Seldon (shoulder) continues to go through drills in a red non-contact jersey.
Offensive tackle Lance Heard continues to do more and more as he works his way back from a minor knee procedure over the summer. The projected starting left tackle is moving around better and again was involved in individual drills. He once again looked to be going through a full-line work as we were leaving the field after he participated in 1-on-1's against defensive linemen.
Wide receiver Bru McCoy also continues to do a little more as he works his way back from last season's gruesome ankle injury. McCoy truly does like a superhero, as offensive coordinator Joey Halzle pointed out last week, and continues to look really smooth running around.
Fellow wide receiver Nathan Leacock shed the knee brace Saturday that he had on earlier in camp and continued to run around without it on Sunday.
I saw one scholarship player drop a football during the two periods we were able to watch and it was from true freshman tight end Cole Harrison.
The quarterbacks, tight ends and receivers worked on their route tree just across the 50-yard-line in opponent territory during today's viewing portion of routes-on-air. Nico Iamaleava continues to look the part of a big time quarterback. There's simply not much more to say about Iamaleava at this point from what we're able to see.
Squirrel White, Chas Nimrod and Braylon Staley all worked in the slot to the left of the quarterbacks, while the tight ends worked in the slot to the right. With Thornton, Matthews and Webb not participating, McCoy, Leacock, Chris Brazzell and Nate Spillman worked on the outside.
Ethan Davis, Holden Staes and Miles Kitselman continue to really look the part physically at tight end.
Heard had a strong rep against William Satterwhite, Cooper Mays got the best of Elijah Simmons, Omari Thomas bullied Vysen Lang, Joshua Josephs was too much for Heard to handle and Shamurad Umarov won a nice rep against Jaxson Moi. Jayson Jenkins also got off a block against Larry Johnson, and James Pearce Jr. beat Dayne Davis in similar fashion.
b.mckee

The big news of the day is obviously the loss of Jourdan Thomas for the season, as Volquest was first to report on Sunday morning. It’s another knee injury for the third-year player and it’s unfortunate because he was in line to play a key role for the Vols in the secondary this season. Boo Carter, Christian Harrison and Christian Charles will pick up the slack in the meantime at the STAR position.
The routes on air portion of the open period looked much better compared to Saturday’s period. Not as many footballs were hitting the ground. In fact, the only one to hit the ground over the first few minutes from a scholarship skill player was from freshman tight end Cole Harrison. The quarterbacks were throwing well and the receivers bounced back from a rough day yesterday.
Offensive line took part in group work with guards and centers and guards and tackles. Lance Heard was doing this on the day. It’s important to note that Tennessee wants to keep his rep count down and ease him back into the fold. That’s why he will be doing some things and sitting out on others.
Keenan Pili was coaching up the linebackers and Jakobe Thomas was leading then safety group, along with Andre Turrentine.
It was good to see Lance Heard taking part in a few reps of this and he won his matchups. Cooper Mays was seen winning a matchup, as was Jackson Lampley. Jesse Perry was getting some praise from John Campbell after taking a defensive lineman for a ride as well. William Satterwhite won a set, too. But the drill, however, was won by the defense and that should come as no surprise with how deep and experienced the group is as a whole.
James Pearce won his rep. Bryson Eason exploded to the backfield to dominate his turn. Jaxson Moi was a winner, as was Joshua Josephs. Caleb Herring dipped under a block one time and coach Chop jumped all over him.
As we were walking off, the skilled players joined the party. We didn’t get to see too much, but Holden Staes barreled over a defender on one rep while Eli Purcell and Khalifa Keith each won once like going up against each other in back-to-back reps.
e.cain

Andrej Karic, John Campbell Jr.,Dont’e Thornton and Kaleb Webb were all fully dressed out but didn’t go through any action during the open portions of practice. Thornton and Webb did stretch but Karic and Campbell did not. Given they were dressed out, it’s possible that they could have joined practice later on but they did not while we were out there.
Running back Cameron Seldon remained in a red non contact jersey as did walk on receiver Tommy Winton III. Five-star freshman receiver Mike Matthews did not have a helmet on and did not do any team work which has been the case throughout camp to this point.
Let’s start with routes on air where Nico Iamaleava continues to be very crisp during the first week of practice. He was working with Bru McCoy, Squirrel White, Chris Brazzell and Ethan Davis during Sunday’s portion.
The only two passes I saw hit the ground with a scholarship pass catcher receiving were Squirrel White and Cole Harrison (freshman tight end) both dropping a pass.
Also for those keeping track at home, Davis has now been the first team tight end three time during routes on air while Notre Dame transfer Holden Staes has been the first team tight end once.
Some good offensive reps included Cam Seldon beating Edwin Spillman on an out route and Holden Staes beating a walk on linebacker on an in route.
The most notable rep during the offensive line versus defensive line one-on-ones was LSU offensive tackle transfer Zalance Heard locking down James Pearce Jr. on a rep. Heard continues to be a bit limited at practice but it was a positive that he was getting some legit one-on-one reps on Sunday.
Starting with injuries and absences, the big one was Jourdan Thomas being off to the side on the scooter and the subsequent news that he is out for the season with a right knee injury. Other defensive injury notes remain the same as they’ve been in recent days. Temple transfer Jalen McMurray was not dressed out and working to the side, as was the case for freshman linebackers Jordan Burns and Grier Short (walk on).
The two questions I have is whether someone else emerges as a star and what the strongside defensive end rotation looks like. Dominic Bailey is the proven veteran at that spot and junior Tyre West looks like the next man up but redshirt freshman Tyree Weathersby also looks great early this camp and I could see him pushing for playing time.
During offensive line versus defensive line one-on-ones, Pearce did have a dominant rep against Dayne Davis and Tennessee’s defensive line got the better of the offensive line for the most part.
Kalib Perry broke up a pass intended for Ethan Davis. Edwin Spillmaan had great coverage on Khalifa Keith and walk on Ben Bolton had strong reps both rushing the passer and in pass coverage.
With Thomas now out for the season, all eyes are on Boo Carter and Christian Charles at STAR. It was largely zone concept and technique work for the defensive backs during the open portion of practice. Both of those things are particularly important for the true freshman Carter.
r.schumpert

Cooper Mays with a really nice rep on Elijah Simmons
Bru McCoy went through everything against air, didn't look limited in that regard
Lance Heard and James Pearce Jr. head-to-head, Heard stuck with him but it looked like a hold probably could've been called
TE order was Miles Kitselman, Ethan Davis, Holden Staes, Charlie Browder
Jake Merklinger had a few bad reps in a row, missed pretty bad on an out-route and a slant
Chris Brazzell might have the best hands on the team, almost everything is strong out in front, rarely catches it with his body
r.sylvia

GUJKwzkbUAANC5i

GUJLFL9bgAAwn0p

Last edited:
It's football, I know. Still, SIGH, I hope for no more injuries.

We are razor thin at corner. Good grief. We lost a ton in the secondary from last season without this injury.

Do you think we are better than Doneiko Slaughter at his position?
Slaughter was playing out of position last year due to other injuries. I think our starting corners are better this year with McCoy and Gibson, Boo will play star and Turrentine and Jakobe will occupy the safety spots.

Yes.

He was playing CB, and getting burnt.

We are much better at CB even with loss of Hadden and Slaughter.

Neiko was a safety star guy but they had him at CB.
Ya I meant at Star. That was his natural position. Think UK game two years ago. I’m not sure Charles is better, Boo is young.

I’d say if we can stay healthy I feel ok. If we have an injury or two more. That’s scary.

Losing Thomas early feels like losing Pili last year.

I hope the young man heals well and I admire him coming to practice and still being a teammate by taking and giving support. Coach Heupel has a very good team culture going in Knoxville and it continues to show.

My quick look says: we're thinner but not thin. Though we like to say it, it's rarely "next man up" when someone who would likely start goes down and that's at any level of sports from peewee to pro. These guys aren't LEGO pieces.

Boo will probably step up well but I'm sure he'd have rather earned reps from Thomas throughout the season than need to step up.

Mostly, I like what Heupel is building on the field and off the field. No summer shenanigans from the team. Guys seem to have worked on their conditioning in the off season. I kind of hate to say it, but I feel a "professional" vibe about UT football that looks good.

Ya I meant at Star. That was his natural position. Think UK game two years ago. I’m not sure Charles is better, Boo is young.

I’d say if we can stay healthy I feel ok. If we have an injury or two more. That’s scary.
Yes losing Thomas hurts from depth standpoint but Boo is as talented if not more...just needs to get experience under his belt.

VN Store

Back