Vols in MLB Update

You’re talking about how he was in HS and saying that’s his problem still today? Who knows…maybe it is. But I’m a very different person that I was in HS.
Like I said, not sure of his time at UT, but I imagine I wasn’t tough considering he and Serrano was best buddies.

Seeing him get into a fight with his teammate a few weeks ago kinda proves this. If I recall correctly it was for his teammate telling him to hustle or something along those lines.

So I mean tfwiw

Joyce has really turned it on lately. He might be a hot commodity at the trade deadline.

There is absolutely no way they trade Joyce this year. Angels are getting a great deal with him since he's in the middle of his rookie deal.

Angels are "sellers" and they need to get rid of high salaried guys now or get nothing at the end of the season when their contracts up for negotiation and they go elsewhere.

Actually, the Rockies poor standings (sucking as you say) plays towards Dollander's advantage. They'll move him thru the system and there is no way they would trade a #1 pick at this point.
Actually contenders routinely bring up guys from the minors due to poor performance and injuries to the major league staff. Dodgers and Braves have had to call up numerous players because of injuries. So I stand by my statement. Crap teams will keep their prized possessions in the minors until they are ready to contend. Stockpile all the talent and then call them all up hoping to make a pennant run. Just the way MLB teams operate.

Actually contenders routinely bring up guys from the minors due to poor performance and injuries to the major league staff. Dodgers and Braves have had to call up numerous players because of injuries. So I stand by my statement. Crap teams will keep their prized possessions in the minors until they are ready to contend. Stockpile all the talent and then call them all up hoping to make a pennant run. Just the way MLB teams operate.
Not in Ben Joyce or Jordan Beck's situation.

So I stand by my statement.

Last edited:
Not in Ben Joyce or Jordan Beck's situation.

So I stand by my statement.
And what about guys like Kris Bryant and Ryan Howard??? Yeah there are always going to be exceptions to the rule but it took those guys hitting 40 bombs in a minor league season to finally get called up. The majority of the time teams have kept players suppressed in the minors until the major league team is ready to contend. It’s been that way throughout the sports history.

I played with him, 2 years ahead of him in school.

Again, love the guy, we still talk every once in a while, but he needs to grow up.

Coach Buckner actually kicked him off the HS team but that didn’t last long lol
Were you on the 08-09 team? I remember playing against Mac Thorson and Jordan Cooper in summer ball when they were with the Road Warriors

And what about guys like Kris Bryant and Ryan Howard??? Yeah there are always going to be exceptions to the rule but it took those guys hitting 40 bombs in a minor league season to finally get called up. The majority of the time teams have kept players suppressed in the minors until the major league team is ready to contend. It’s been that way throughout the sports history.
Kris Bryant s agent got pissed because Cubs kept manipulating their control time of Bryant. So yes most often crappy clubs hold their top stars down til they believe they can contend.

Kris Bryant s agent got pissed because Cubs kept manipulating their control time of Bryant. So yes most often crappy clubs hold their top stars down til they believe they can contend.
That's been the driving force behind the changes to the collective bargaining agreement. That's why you saw the Orioles and Dbacks awarded extra picks after the first round, due to Carroll and Rutchman earning ROY and not having their service time manipulated. If way different now than even when Bryant came up.

I think the Mets are doing this now, with Gilbert and Jett Williams. They were going to try it with Ronny Mauricio but he forced their hand when he showed out in the spring.

History? The landscape has changed, it's win and win now for GM's, AD's, MLB and College coaches. History is just that, history. It's a learning lesson for how to do things better. The players you name were drafted 23 and 13 years ago. Ask Vitello to operate under "history", if so, he'd have no portal. He'd be recruiting kids from HS.

You've got to adjust your sails with whatever way the wind is blowing. It's win and win now, not have "Crap teams will keep their prized possessions in the minors until they are ready to contend"

I think the Mets are doing this now, with Gilbert and Jett Williams. They were going to try it with Ronny Mauricio but he forced their hand when he showed out in the spring.
Not sure about Jett, but Gilbert just came back from injury last week. It's not like he's putting up all star numbers and they're manipulating his service time by keeping him down, he's been out quite awhile.

Just double checked 29AB so far in 2024.

Not sure about Jett, but Gilbert just came back from injury last week. It's not like he's putting up all star numbers and they're manipulating his service time by keeping him down, he's been out quite awhile.

Just double checked 29AB so far in 2024.
He could’ve been on the opening day if we’re being honest.

VN Store

Back