vsf's staff grades - 9 games in

volsportsfan

knowledge puffeth up
Obviously this is all just my opinion. My opinion on the 4 main qualities of a coach, and my more in depth, but quick, opinion under each major category. Use your God given intelligent mind to judge what I say for yourself.

1. Scheme/X's and O's - B
2. Positional Fundamentals - B
3. Talent Evaluation and Recruiting - B
4. Relationships/Comraderie/Motivation - B

1. I personally am not the biggest fan of our offensive scheme/X's and O's, though a part of me misses the old traditional I formation and two te sets, and playing under center. Im enjoying seeing it once again, but im not enjoying the lack of production. We simply are not making the QB a threat in the run game from these formations ( neither are we able to utilize rpo's from these formations ). Most teams predominantly use the spread and incorporate read option ( the QBs legs causing the defense to have to account for the QB in the running game thus giving the offense the numbers advantage when def plays with 3 deep coverage ).

2. I think the staff is teaching solid positional techniques/fundamentals, and I would like to give a better grade here, but the amount of penalties prevent me. But, first year of install, some of this is to be expected. Yes, I consider PLAYERS knowing the formation and lining up correctly a fundamental more than scheme/X's and O's. Coaches have to get players to learn the proper techniques and where to be.

3. I have zero issue with the recruiting so far from Pruitt and his staff. I do think they have, for the most part, identified the best players and have them properly placed in the two deep.

4. Have you ever heard of those coaches who the players love and respect so much that it's reported that they would run through a brick wall for said coach? Yeah, this one, is equally as important as the other 3. I loved hearing the reports of players being motivated after the GA game when they heard coach Pruitt get emotional about his respect for their effort. That example there gave me reason to give this staff a B in this category. An extra tid bit from me concerning the Charlotte game, I think motivation had a little to do with the offensive performance in that game. It had a portion to do with it, but by no means was motivation the sole reason for that performance. I could go on and on about point 4, but I think we all understand how important it is to be honest, fair, kind, forgiving, passionate, and a disciplinarian, so the team stays in good spirits, and stays motivated to work and play hard. We see it in our places of work all the time. Nobody wants to be apart ( here it is. Relationships, motivation ) of a job where the leadership consistently lacks most of these qualities. Same with players. They won't be motivated if the head man and his staff are scoundrels lol

I want to emphasize we are in year 1 of installs on offense and defense, and we do not have superior talent to other sec teams. In my opinion, we are middle of the pack, probably more towards the bottom of the sec in terms of talent. I think these grades are reasonable when one considers these two points of emphasis.

Last edited:
well, vsf, only time and quality recruits will help our situation...

GO VOLS!

True, but coaching is most important of all imo.

But, I have given them decent grades, so time and more talent seems to be a major part of the solution.

If you somehow see the glaring fundamental errors we experience each week and give the coaches above average marks on that one....wow.

If you somehow see the glaring fundamental errors we experience each week and give the coaches above average marks on that one....wow.

Yeah, i was tempted to give that one a C. But, I think defensively the penalties aren't too bad, plus I think the staff is teaching some solid technique at most positions, offensive and defensive.

Remember, we are only 9 games in. The install and the culture, it takes time. I get it if others would grade this particular one at a C.

A grade of B is very generous for scheme

A grade of B is very generous for scheme

I figured Defensive scheme is an A ( i think our defense is light years ahead of what we saw last year, granted, fundamentals/techniques has some to do with that too ), and special teams is a B or higher ( i really liked the onside kicks. i thought they were schemed well just poorly executed ). The offense is definitely a C or less. I already stated i wasn't a fan of not utilizing the spread more. I think our throw game has been okay, considering the oline and the install of new offense. All totaled, offensively, defensively, and special teams, i still think a B is where i would personally grade the staff.

Last edited:
Defense gets a B. SC game really disappointed me on that side of the ball.

Offense is a C at best to this point.

Remember, we were missing Abernathy and Flowers if I'm not mistaken. Both are starters and would have helped us defensively, maybe enough to get at least one stop in the second half

I helps if you don't hover over your thread like a new born baby and nit pick everyone's reply (opinion).

Obviously, I started the thread to have conversation about the topic. Wasn't interested in most of the other topic/threads so started a thread/topic I was interested in. Why wouldn't i hover and try to conversate on said topic? It's my present interest 😉

Reactions: Behr and slickvol
I'll play along............

1. Scheme/X's and O's - D
3. Talent Evaluation and Recruiting - C
4. Relationships/Comraderie/Motivation - F

I'll play along............

1. Scheme/X's and O's - D
3. Talent Evaluation and Recruiting - C
4. Relationships/Comraderie/Motivation - F

Yikes bro!! Care to explain briefly why you gave 1 and 4 such low grades? Maybe I'm missing something. At the least #4 if you will

1. Offensive Scheme/X's and O's = B-
2. Defensive Scheme/X's and O's = B
3. Offensive Positional Fundamentals = C-
4. Defensive Positional Fundamentals = B
5. Talent Evaluation and Recruiting - A
6. Relationships/Comraderie/Motivation = C+

1. Offensive Scheme/X's and O's = B-
2. Defensive Scheme/X's and O's = B
3. Offensive Positional Fundamentals = C-
4. Defensive Positional Fundamentals = B
5. Talent Evaluation and Recruiting - A
6. Relationships/Comraderie/Motivation = C+

Maybe I should've broken 1 and 2 down further like you did. But, I think Pruitt has his hands in both the offense and defense ( and special teams ) so I thought it fine to lump both sides of the ball together in my final grades.

By the way, I have no problem with Pruitt having his hands in both sides of the ball. Just hope he knows what he is doing, specially on the offensive side, since he has spent so much time on the defensive side.

Obviously, I started the thread to have conversation about the topic. Wasn't interested in most of the other topic/threads so started a thread/topic I was interested in. Why wouldn't i hover and try to conversate on said topic? It's my present interest 😉

Thank you for proving my point.

OP, put lipstick on this pig
hqdefault.jpg
and see how well you will grade out as a Miss America Agent...Tough job these coaches are having getting blood out of this turnip...
turnip.gif

Obviously this is all just my opinion. My opinion on the 4 main qualities of a coach, and my more in depth, but quick, opinion under each major category. Use your God given intelligent mind to judge what I say for yourself.

1. Scheme/X's and O's - B
3. Talent Evaluation and Recruiting - B
4. Relationships/Comraderie/Motivation - B

1. I personally am not the biggest fan of our offensive scheme/X's and O's, though a part of me misses the old traditional I formation and two te sets, and playing under center. Im enjoying seeing it once again, but im not enjoying the lack of production. We simply are not making the QB a threat in the run game from these formations ( neither are we able to utilize rpo's from these formations ). Most teams predominantly use the spread and incorporate read option ( the QBs legs causing the defense to have to account for the QB in the running game thus giving the offense the numbers advantage when def plays with 3 deep coverage ).

2. I think the staff is teaching solid positional techniques/fundamentals, and I would like to give a better grade here, but the amount of penalties prevent me. But, first year of install, some of this is to be expected. Yes, I consider PLAYERS knowing the formation and lining up correctly a fundamental more than scheme/X's and O's. Coaches have to get players to learn the proper techniques and where to be.

3. I have zero issue with the recruiting so far from Pruitt and his staff. I do think they have, for the most part, identified the best players and have them properly placed in the two deep.

4. Have you ever heard of those coaches who the players love and respect so much that it's reported that they would run through a brick wall for said coach? Yeah, this one, is equally as important as the other 3. I loved hearing the reports of players being motivated after the GA game when they heard coach Pruitt get emotional about his respect for their effort. That example there gave me reason to give this staff a B in this category. An extra tid bit from me concerning the Charlotte game, I think motivation had a little to do with the offensive performance in that game. It had a portion to do with it, but by no means was motivation the sole reason for that performance. I could go on and on about point 4, but I think we all understand how important it is to be honest, fair, kind, forgiving, passionate, and a disciplinarian, so the team stays in good spirits, and stays motivated to work and play hard. We see it in our places of work all the time. Nobody wants to be apart ( here it is. Relationships, motivation ) of a job where the leadership consistently lacks most of these qualities. Same with players. They won't be motivated if the head man and his staff are scoundrels lol

I want to emphasize we are in year 1 of installs on offense and defense, and we do not have superior talent to other sec teams. In my opinion, we are middle of the pack, probably more towards the bottom of the sec in terms of talent. I think these grades are reasonable when one considers these two points of emphasis.

I think that those are fair grades....I think the X's and O's are there, but not the Jimmy and Joes. I am excited to see what this team will look like in Year 3. I hope that Saban retires either this year or next. The last thing I want is for Pruitt to be on the verge of building a great thing at TN and Saban retires and Bama comes a calling.

VN Store

Back