vsf's staff grades - 9 games in

Offensive Scheme is a D at best. It has been ok at times but the majority of the time it has been predictable and dreadful

Hard to coach lack of effort

Hoosier, benevolence, and now you have all graded or questioned #4 ( relationships, comraderie, motivation ). Am i missing something here with this staff?

who was it? Aaron Murray that said something about Pruitt didn't know how to get a long with people. Is there some truth to this that i am not seeing?

You are saying some players play with a lack of effort. Are you saying that is on the staff or are you saying they ( the players ) simply just don't care? And if it is the players that don't care, that aren't giving the effort, is that a reflection on the staff? Or, is that simply just a reflection on particular players who have made their minds up that they don't care no matter how much the staff encourages or tries to help or teach them?

Anyway, your post is the third post in the thread that has unfavorably mentioned effort. I'm asking for me. Am i missing something by giving this head coach and staff a B grade for point #4?

Last edited:
Offensive Scheme is a D at best. It has been ok at times but the majority of the time it has been predictable and dreadful

Yeah, I stated that i am disappointed with the power run scheme. It just isn't as effective as the spread and incorporating the QB's legs. I wish we would do more of this than we do. I am satisfied with the pass scheme though. I think that with the line we have this staff has done exactly what needs to be done to make our pass scheme effective. Thank God Pruitt and Helton haven't given up on the run game ( even though i wish we would not do as much power run scheme ) because if they had, defenders would pin their ears back and unleash all their pass rush moves on our linemen and would destroy us.

I have a hard time giving offensive scheme a D rating. I could see a C, no problem. But a D is too low for me personally. I think the offensive staff has done a decent job.

And anyone that says we should go with more of a west coast quick pass scheme so the pass rushers don't have time to get to the qb, you gotta realize that our rec's are built more for the medium and deep routes and not the short quick routes. I just don't think we have the Wes Welker, julian Edelman, brandon stokely type rec's to consistently execute a west coast pass scheme. Our rec's put the fear in you down field, but are not quick enough in and out of their cuts to get seperation on the short routes consistently. jmo

Well folks, the dust has settled and the year is over. Two more games have come and gone and I stick by my grades.

I have a few minor questions concerning our pass coverage, seeing that we often made the most difficult position ( the QB position ) in football look fairly easy. For example - shurmur was 31 for 35 for 365 yards and 3tds to 0 picks. That's hard for me to swallow seeing I love the defensive side of the ball. But, I suspect that with more time in the scheme, time learning the fundamentals, and time in the weight room, cjp will have us covering recs better next year.

As my grades suggest, I'm just fine with year one under cjp. Let's keep this staff together and come out next year thinking 5 wins is unacceptable ( barring major injuries of course ). I'm thinking 6 or 7 should be the expectation, but more time and thought will be put into this.

On to next year, hopefully a more competitive year with at least 1 to 2 more wins

VN Store

Back