VTech's Tyro Taylor - Redshirted?

VOLracerx

Demon Dog
Can some of you guys with more redshirt knowledge bestow upon me how this kid from VaTech is able to redshirt afterplaying almost an entire season last year?

Taylor Redhsirts

according to my understanding, you can redshirt one year at any time, regardless of previous playing time. All that matters is the year you redshirt. It has to be tough on the handful of VT seniors, knowing that they are essentially just preparing everyone else for next year.

You redshirt on a year by year basis.

The 2007 season has no bearing on being redshirted for the 2008 season.

However, Taylor cannot see action during the 2008 season or his redshirt is burnt, meaning it will cost him a year of eligibility.

All players coming from high school have 5 years to play four seasons.

so in theory and this is only an example....if Berry were to decide to redshirt his Junior season in the hop that his Senior year would result in a NC caliber team - he could choose to do so at that time?

It just seems a bit odd/backwards...

lot's of things involving the NCAA and their rules are odd and backwards.

As already stated, a player has 5 years to play 4.

This is known as the "Paul Blake rule." Named after the former quarterback for Texas St. University, back in the early 90's. Though he left school in his early 20's due to the unexpected death of his father, old NCAA rules kept his eligibility in tact. When Texas State discovered that Blake was eligible, they recruited him to return and play quarterback for the Armadillos while in his mid-30's. Ironically enough, that same Armadillo team was the first in NCAA history to play a female kicker.

As already stated, a player has 5 years to play 4.

This is known as the "Paul Blake rule." Named after the former quarterback for Texas St. University, back in the early 90's. Though he left school in his early 20's due to the unexpected death of his father, old NCAA rules kept his eligibility in tact. When Texas State discovered that Blake was eligible, they recruited him to return and play quarterback for the Armadillos while in his mid-30's. Ironically enough, that same Armadillo team was the first in NCAA history to play a female kicker.

or you could be Jason White and be at a schoo for 6 years

i think they might look at not redshirting him after the Glennons proformance against ECU...anyone think that might happen?

they are building for next year. This year is a throw away year.

if that is indeed the case, that is the stupidest thing a coach could ever do. I'm fairly confident that Tyrod will play this year. Va. Tech can't afford Glennon screwing it up and them having a losing season

There's got to be more to the story behind Beamer's decision to redshirt Taylor.

Glennon has never been a good quarterback. Now, with their limitations at receiver and the offseason loss of their starting running back, it makes no sense why anyone who has seen him play would think Glennon can successfully run that offense.

They need a playmaker on the field...and, from what I've seen of the Hokies, Taylor may be the best they have.

Either Taylor did something to piss off the Tech staff or Beamer is completely delusional. I look for that redshirt to come off before next Saturday.

Virginia Tech is not a good football team this year. At all. Why waste a year on Taylor? This isn't the first time Beamer has done this, so I don't see him changing anything.

this isn't the first time Clemson has been smacked in the mouth in a game they shouldn't have. they can still do extremely well in the ACC. Also Wake Forest looked extremely good (against an extremely inferior opponent), so I'm not so sure. GT also looked better than I expected.

this isn't the first time Clemson has been smacked in the mouth in a game they shouldn't have. they can still do extremely well in the ACC. Also Wake Forest looked extremely good (against an extremely inferior opponent), so I'm not so sure. GT also looked better than I expected.

And don't count out Miami or Florida State. They're down, by their standards, but still capable of winning that horrendous conference.

And don't count out Miami or Florida State. They're down, by their standards, but still capable of winning that horrendous conference.

true, which just furthers my thought that even though I think it's asinine to just throw away a season, I think Beamer might be doing just that.

I'm willing to bet Tyrod is thanking Beamer for not throwing him out in this trainwreck of a season.

If Macho Harris gets healthy quick and they find a legit RB this season, things might change. But I doubt it for them.

Wake Forest representing the ACC in a BCS bowl again.

so in theory and this is only an example....if Berry were to decide to redshirt his Junior season in the hop that his Senior year would result in a NC caliber team - he could choose to do so at that time?

It just seems a bit odd/backwards...

if he wanted to he could, but i'm not sure whether it's the coach's decision, the player's, or a combination of the two.

While we're at it, what does greyshirt mean? I know i've seen it somewhere in football terms...

VN Store

Back