Was our defense really that good this year??

g8terh8ter_eric

No Disassemble!
Here's a basic breakdown of what our defense did this year.

Attachments

• Defensive Stats.xls
    26.5 KB · Views: 89
Opponent's average yards per game 333
Opponent's average versus UT 263

70 yard difference

6 out of the 12 teams we faced ranked in the 100's in Total Offense. That's a telling sign right there.

Also, you should probably consider that teams didn't really need to pile on points at the end to beat us.

Also, you should probably consider that teams didn't really need to pile on points at the end to beat us.

Florida could have hung 60 on us if they hadn't just run the ball in the 2nd half. That game could have been 500 total yards if they wanted it to be.

Yes, our defense was that good. Imagine how many less yards we would've held our opponents to if they weren't dog a$$ tired from being out on the field ALL GAME LONG. One thing I'd like to know (for all you diehard stat geeks) is how many more snaps we had against us simply because we were the 3 and out bandits. Time of possession surely weighed on the stamina by 4th quarter. Yeah, a breather woulda been nice for our defensive squad. They probably didn't even have time for a bathroom break before the punt team was trotting back off the field.

Our Defense was on the field for an avg. of 64.5 snaps a game. If you lok at the teams that finished ahead of us their Offenses were much better than ours and could actually pick up a few first downs a game. The D was stellar the Offense was the problem.

Yes, our defense was that good. Imagine how many less yards we would've held our opponents to if they weren't dog a$$ tired from being out on the field ALL GAME LONG. One thing I'd like to know (for all you diehard stat geeks) is how many more snaps we had against us simply because we were the 3 and out bandits. Time of possession surely weighed on the stamina by 4th quarter. Yeah, a breather woulda been nice for our defensive squad. They probably didn't even have time for a bathroom break before the punt team was trotting back off the field.

That's where I was going. The offense didn't help those guys at all and they still held us in some games. I think if we had run the ball and picked up first downs it would have greatly helped that squad. I said before the season that the difference between us having a good defense and a great defense was how many times we asked them to take the field.

I think our defense was good, but I think that the numbers are skewed by the below-average offenses we faced and the fact that the "big guns" could let off toward the end of the game against us. We played a TERRIBLE second half against UCLA, and it cost us the game. There is no doubt that our defense gave us the opportunity to win several games that we didn't simply because we couldn't score (NIU, Auburn, Wyoming).

I think our defense would have been even better if they hadn't stayed on the field the entire game. Those guys never got a breather because our clawfense went three and out so much.

D was pretty good this year, had some lapses but overall good. Maybe not as good as the numbers would suggest, but defiently a very solid D.

Just like our O-line was overrated last year because of the quick throws and gave many of us false hope for 2008, the same may unfortunately be true of this defense (considering about 8 of the teams we faced had offenses that were dreadful).

I don't know about the Florida game. Each week I see them play, I am more and more convinced that our 30-6 loss might actually be one of our best performances of the season. The defense only really gave up 20 points, and Florida has been running roughshod over the competition in recent weeks.

I don't know about the Florida game. Each week I see them play, I am more and more convinced that our 30-6 loss might actually be one of our best performances of the season. The defense only really gave up 20 points, and Florida has been running roughshod over the competition in recent weeks.

+1 Holding Florida to 30 was quite a feat, really.

Hey, was it just me, or did anyone else think the D got a little better once Chavis moved to the box and got off the field?

+1 Holding Florida to 30 was quite a feat, really.

Hey, was it just me, or did anyone else think the D got a little better once Chavis moved to the box and got off the field?

They had already ran the score up the year before. They went into the most conservative play calling I have ever seen Urban Meyer call. They could have scored at least 50 if they had chosen too.

Just like our O-line was overrated last year because of the quick throws and gave many of us false hope for 2008, the same may unfortunately be true of this defense (considering about 8 of the teams we faced had offenses that were dreadful).

Losing half of the defensive line isn't going to help either

Florida could have hung 60 on us if they hadn't just run the ball in the 2nd half. That game could have been 500 total yards if they wanted it to be.

The defense was tired and had a broken morale due to the offense not being able to pick up first downs and fumbling the ball away on the goal line.

The way that defense played this year, it's a shame they had to go out 5-7. Overall a very solid year by them.

Stats don't show how many minutes they spent on the field or how demoralized they were by how inept the offense was. You play hard, then the offense gives up another TD, etc. I think the offense might have lead the nation in number of 3 and out series.

Stats don't show how many minutes they spent on the field or how demoralized they were by how inept the offense was. You play hard, then the offense gives up another TD, etc. I think the offense might have lead the nation in number of 3 and out series.

We were 7th the last time I saw it (before the last two games).

This defense spent a lot of time on the field. I'd be interested in some stats on ttl yds/minutes played or ttl points/minutes played (although our offense had a tendency to give the D a short field to defend). Our D also put some points on the board as well.

All considered, I think we had a very good defense this season.

And, not getting depressed by the lackluster play of our offense is an indicator of how well led our defense was.

We were 7th the last time I saw it (before the last two games).

This defense spent a lot of time on the field. I'd be interested in some stats on ttl yds/minutes played or ttl points/minutes played (although our offense had a tendency to give the D a short field to defend). Our D also put some points on the board as well.

All considered, I think we had a very good defense this season.

And, not getting depressed by the lackluster play of our offense is an indicator of how well led our defense was.

They also started on the field with bad field position many times due to our poor offense. Our defense did an outstanding job this season, especially when you factor in the circumstances.

I think we had an above average d this year that played some lousy offenses. I was at the Georgia game as they ran it down our throats the whole second half and we COULD NOT stop it. To me that is not a great d.

Our defense was mediocre at best.

One of the big reasons they were on the field so long is that they couldn't stop anybody from controling the game and the clock. They were HORRIBLE on 3rd and long and that's even with playing so many piss poor offensive teams.

Even against Auburn, when we really needed the stop we went into the crapstain and allowed one of the worst passers in the SEC to complete a 3rd and long to seal the game and run out the clock.

UCLA? Crapstain defense as usual lets them with a very bad quarterback make easy tosses and easy TD's. The crapstain that Chavis uses and is so fond of has everyone backpeddling at the snap conceding the first down on almost every play.

Teams knew if they only scored 14-21 points they didn't have to worry so why keep being agressive??

And if they ever did get behind the good coaches knew that on most 3rd and long downs Chavis would revert to the crapstain and allow them to pick up 3rd and 56.

THAT'S the real reason our defense appeared to be decent, it didn't have much to do with the defense itself. The secondary was the best part and we still allowed quarterbacks to have "career high" games against us yet again, just like we do every season.

The best part about this situation is that Chavis and his crapstain defense are gone.

Nothing personal against Chavis, it's just he never figgured out the clock stopped when you gave up the first down in his crapstain formation and he got us beat at least 1-2 times per year with it. He never seemed to learn to stay away from that defense.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back