Was our defense really that good this year??

Ya gotta think, though, that we only allowed Florida's offense to score on us twice, and had we not given up a return touchdown, we had a chance of winning (multiple goalline deficiencies not withstanding).
Against Georgia we allowed only 2 touchdowns. The D allowed many yards, but stiffened at the red zone.
Against South Carolina, we gave up 2 touchdowns to the offense, one of which was a lucky pass on first down.

The problem wasn't that our defense was bad, it was that when our D held them to a field goal, the point trade off was always 3-0 as opposed to 3-3 or 3-7. Sure, you should be glad to hold a defense to 3 points, but when they make 4 field goals and your offense can't at least give you 1 touchdown, the numbers pile up.

And for what it's worth, we were dead last in the SEC in time of posession, and 97th nationally.

Big Orange Junky:
Even against Auburn, when we really needed the stop we went into the crapstain and allowed one of the worst passers in the SEC to complete a 3rd and long to seal the game and run out the clock.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the defense make them go 3 straight 3 and outs prior deep in their own territory? And yet again our offense went 3 straight 3 and outs for an answer when we started the possession near midfield? And you complain about one play? Oh, how did Auburn score again??? Fumble inside 10? The defense was good if not great.

But over the years the crapstain has burned us and I've yelled at the TV screen many times becuz of it. I'll give ya that one.

Ya gotta think, though, that we only allowed Florida's offense to score on us twice, and had we not given up a return touchdown, we had a chance of winning (multiple goalline deficiencies not withstanding).
Against Georgia we allowed only 2 touchdowns. The D allowed many yards, but stiffened at the red zone.

Against South Carolina, we gave up 2 touchdowns to the offense, one of which was a lucky pass on first down.

The problem wasn't that our defense was bad, it was that when our D held them to a field goal, the point trade off was always 3-0 as opposed to 3-3 or 3-7. Sure, you should be glad to hold a defense to 3 points, but when they make 4 field goals and your offense can't at least give you 1 touchdown, the numbers pile up.

Florida could have EASILY scored more offensive TDs in the second half. Meyer just decided to go easy on us and run the ball every play.

Georgia - well they just collapsed in the red zone (ex. Green dropping the wide open TD pass and the INTs weren't good plays by our players necessarily but choke jobs on Georgia's part).

Florida could have EASILY scored more offensive TDs in the second half. Meyer just decided to go easy on us and run the ball every play.

Georgia - well they just collapsed in the red zone (ex. Green dropping the wide open TD pass and the INTs weren't good plays by our players necessarily but choke jobs on Georgia's part).

I've heard this before, but Meyer has proven that he does not take it easy on anyone. He may have felt the game was in hand since our offense could do nothing and did not want to risk Berry and company getting us back in the game, but I doubt he purposely took it easy on anyone this year.

I've heard this before, but Meyer has proven that he does not take it easy on anyone. He may have felt the game was in hand since our offense could do nothing and did not want to risk Berry and company getting us back in the game, but I doubt he purposely took it easy on anyone this year.

He ran it so much in that second half... and kicked a field goal on 4th and short later in the half to try not to pile more points on.

My point is - our defense would have been shredded to pieces if they had ran their normal offense the second half. Anyone that disagrees with that needs a reality check.

VN Store

Back