Was THERE!

Took the day off from working at "The Family Fun Fair" (where all the rides were along the River) area of the World's Fair to be at the game...help tear down the goal post and carry it DOWN Cumberland to place it inside "The Last Lap" *watch close for the LL sign in the news piece...there has GOT to be someone here that was part of that, too?

OH What a night!

The last game that I attended in person at Neyland Stadium was the Alabama game where Mike Terry made a last second interception to seal the win for Tennessee.

Took the day off from working at "The Family Fun Fair" (where all the rides were along the River) area of the World's Fair to be at the game...help tear down the goal post and carry it DOWN Cumberland to place it inside "The Last Lap" *watch close for the LL sign in the news piece...there has GOT to be someone here that was part of that, too?

OH What a night!

When the strip was a proper strip. :)

My baptism was in 1968 when we beat Bama 10-9. Richmond Flowers scored our only touchdown. I got to meet him later in life and was so in awe. If you have never seen the movie made about him, you need to watch.

The video of the crowd is very interesting. Very little orange in the stands. It was still a year or two before you could find lots of orange UT clothing in stores. By 1990, everyone was wearing orange to the games.
I had several UT shirts and hats by the Sugar Vols game.

CFB was so different prior to large-scale merchandising and all games available for TV.
I had the same observation as you. Sports merchandising wasn't the huge industry back then that it is now. Also, far fewer fatties in the crowd back then.

Another thing I noticed was the awkward way the QB fell on the ball at the end to bleed clock, LOL! Was this before the concept of QB's simply taking a knee to run out clock?

The background music of my youth! Gabby's hosted a few folks ("Progressive' & 'Punk") on the Strip, as well.
A huge portion of the punk acts were at the original Vic and Bill’s. Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Dead Kennedy’s etc. were all deli veterans. Chili Peppers played there in a late night drive through town show and then two years later played the Library right around Thanksgiving. One night after seeing REM, they stood outside with a group of us and put us on a list to see them at the 40 Watt the following week. We drove down in a friend’s VW bus, made it most of the way, and then hitchhiked the last leg. We were covered in grease and dirt, but were given free hot dogs and watched the band with the locals.

Reactions: TN Jed
I was a student at Tennessee Tech. Me and two buddies drive down and bought tickets on the street. Paid $10, I remember thinking that was all the money in the world at the time. It was my first Alabama game.

Reactions: feathersax

VN Store

Back