Washingtonian Staffers Love Remote Work

no reason to go back to the office

There are many reasons for companies to prefer workers on-site rather than remote, both subjective (feeling that people produce "better" work and are stronger employees when in physical proximity to coworkers) and objective (fewer distractions in the office than at home).

Either way, if your company wants you back in the office and you don't want to return then don't be surprised if they hand you a pink slip.

There are many reasons for companies to prefer workers on-site rather than remote, both subjective (feeling that people produce "better" work and are stronger employees when in physical proximity to coworkers) and objective (fewer distractions in the office than at home).

Either way, if your company wants you back in the office and you don't want to return then don't be surprised if they hand you a pink slip.
There are way more distractions at the office. I cant go thirty minutes without an interruption at the office. I could go hours at home without being disturbed.

The benefit for us is the collaboration side of things, but that's part of the distraction. Double edged sword.

Then you also get more conversations going on. Your boss yelling at someone. Clients coming in, phones ringing, the new office chick rejecting me.

Reactions: Tastylicks
I tell all the young people working from home that there’s a hard working person from a 3rd world country eagerly waiting to take their job for lower pay.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol

Piss off trumper. It's not the 70s anymore can do our jobs just fine from home. Probably more productive actually

get with the times!!

Impossible to do my job from home. I like being out. I was shut down for 2 months and I was like a caged animal. Glad I am free again!

I wonder if corporate real estate will take a big hit in the long term. You’d think a lot of companies are going to see the value in not having to pay for office space and employee accommodation that no longer seems necessary
If commercial real estate takes a big hit then that will have a ripple effect. Companies that manage those properties, commercial construction, and more. It’s already happening in some bigger cities where the real estate is crazy expensive.

Last edited:
Sounds like some Boomer rhetoric...

Yes it is and it’s also true and you know it. Anybody with a work visa and a tech degree will do the job cheaper and most likely better. Walmart, Disney, etc already have thousands and thousands of them.

Yes it is and it’s also true and you know it. Anybody with a work visa and a tech degree will do the job cheaper and most likely better. Walmart, Disney, etc already have thousands and thousands of them.
Better? I can tell you haven't worked with many

Better? I can tell you haven't worked with many
Not better but some companies flat don’t care and some of that is because people in this country no longer do quality work. There an epidemic of laziness, incompetence, and a lack of caring. I seriously had a 28-year-old tell me about a year or so ago that simply coming in consistently for his 8 hours a day was enough to be ahead of most in his generation. That was his mindset. Showing up was enough. And he isn’t alone, I assure you. So when a company decides to pay someone in another country a third of what an American would make for a work product that isn’t as big of a drop off as it used to be that company doesn’t think twice.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
So the journalists are more than ca[able of doing their jobs from home, yet you want to punish them by threatening to get non-Americans at lower wages to replace them?
Boomer logic...

So the journalists are more than ca[able of doing their jobs from home, yet you want to punish them by threatening to get non-Americans at lower wages to replace them?
Boomer logic...

Not only is working from an office (you know, the place where you were initially hired to work) very far from a "punishment," there are more concerns at hand than simply losing your job to foreigners.

Outsourcing of lower-end tech and customer service roles is a very real possibility, but it's something that's existed for well over a decade. The new concern should be for the people taking their NYC/D.C./San Fran/L.A. salaries and renting or buying in Knoxville, central Oregon, Montana and such; everyone believes themselves and their contributions to be effectively "irreplaceable," but what's to stop an employer from finding someone who will work for significantly less in Rapid City if their talent is going to be remote regardless?

VN Store

Back