Watching TV at my tailgate question

Here's an idea..............

Actually go to the game. Buy a ticket, put down the bottle(s) and actually walk into the stadium and watch the game sober. That way you can remember the game and the experience.

To do what you are suggesting is just nuts!!!!

Perhaps you should get out more often.

You realize some tailgates have the TV/satellite set up to watch other games, then...stay with me...they break down the TV/satellite setup and go watch the home team play in stadium.

OR...have some folks keep the tailgate going (mothers with small children or older folks who don't want to sit in the heat) while the game is going on. This works best for noon kickoffs. After the early game you come back to the tailgate, let traffic empty out while watching more football on TV.

Rookie.... :eek:lol:

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people

You realize some tailgates have the TV/satellite set up to watch other games, then...stay with me...they break down the TV/satellite setup to go watch the home team play in the stadium.

OR...have some folks keep the tailgate going (mothers with small children or older folks who don't want to sit in the heat) while the game is going on. This works best for noon kickoffs. After the early game you come back to the tailgate, let traffic empty out while watching more football on TV.

There's a company in Gainesville that will deliver the tailgate to you, including tents, tv and cornhole boards. Saw them driving around at the SC game last year.

50trim.jpg

Touchdown_2_1.jpg

Full Service Tailgate Provider

There's a company in Gainesville that will deliver the tailgate to you, including tents, tv and cornhole boards. Saw them driving around at the SC game last year.

50trim.jpg

Take the Hassle Out of Tailgating on Gameday | Gator Tailgating

Yep...very familiar with that company.

We have our tailgate down to a science, depending on kickoff time...and it looks a lot like that picture.

Three tailgate tents, three flat screens (two to watch games, the third to play Xbox), two grills, oscillating fans and cornhole.

Everyone brings at least 2-3 tailgate chairs, their own cooler and whatever they want to grill. Two small Honda generators power the show.

Noon kickoffs are brutal, night kickoffs are awesome if for no other reason one of the younger crowd doesn't pace themselves and winds up passing out before kickoff.

Last edited:
Tailgatetennessee.com offers a similar buy-a-tailgate deal.

And you nailed it, the TV is there for ESPN Gameday and all the games leading up to your game.

Reactions: 1 person
I had you on "ignore" for a while and forgot why... Thanks for the reminder. You're just hating on something so hard bc you dont understand it. True ignorance right there.

You know why I was defending the OP? Bc a couple of years ago me and 74 year old grandfather went to a game and by the time we walked from our parking space, up the stairs to our seat, he was exhausted.

(He's had a few strokes and at least one heart attack that we know of.)

Anyway, by halftime, he was not feeling well and the memories of Neyland were getting ruined by his health.

We should have known, but hey, we wanted to give it a shot bc we arent sure how many seasons he has left. On our way out, we ran into a big group tailgating with a tv and bbq, and they offered us a cold beverage and a seat bc my grandfather probably looked rough.

Well, we sat and talked for a few minutes, drank some tea, ate a bite and headed home. He bragged about how nice and courtieous those ppl were for weeks and was happy that we went.

Just bc you dont enjoy something or think it's a good idea, doesn't mean it's not a good thing. This guy was asking about hooking up his TV, and u just had to butt in with your ignorant opinion on how he enjoys the Vols.

If you dont have something to add, just move on to the next thread and quit trolling.

I tailgate with tvs and loud music but I go to the game.

You realize some tailgates have the TV/satellite set up to watch other games, then...stay with me...they break down the TV/satellite setup and go watch the home team play in stadium.

OR...have some folks keep the tailgate going (mothers with small children or older folks who don't want to sit in the heat) while the game is going on. This works best for noon kickoffs. After the early game you come back to the tailgate, let traffic empty out while watching more football on TV.q

I've tailgated much longer than you have.

Curious where you tailgate.

Also curious how someone whose tailgated for over 27 years (longer than me) considers it "bad behavior" for anyone to watch a game on TV at a tailgate instead of being in the stadium.

After over a quarter century of tailgating you'd think someone would appreciate and understand the perspective of fans who choose to stay at the tailgate instead of going to the game.

But yeah, whatever the rookie says....

Last edited:
If you have the means, rent an RV and park in the AG center parking lot. You will have televisions, kitchen facilities with refrigerators, a restroom and shower, not to mention a bed so you can skip sitting in traffic and stay the night!

I have direct tv. I bought an extra standard dish for 10 bucks and just take a receiver from the bedroom. Works great once you learn to aim the dish properly.

I am looking for a cheap HD dish to take but those are harder to find at a cheap price.

Thank you for the info! I had my buddy who lives on campus that was going to let me bum his cable but when I called Home Depot and lowes they said all their 3 to 4 mile long cables were sold out for a few months and they didnt have enough duck tape in stock for me to tape down the cable across Cumberland and down 16th so ill have to us the dish option for now.

Last edited:
Here's an idea..............

Actually go to the game. Buy a ticket, put down the bottle(s) and actually walk into the stadium and watch the game sober. That way you can remember the game and the experience.

To do what you are suggesting is just nuts!!!!

Thank you for defending me jake. This guy totally made the assumption that I was going to watch the game from the tailgate. Little did he know I haven't ever done that and I have been to at least 5 games per year for nearly 10 years now. This is the reason I don't post more often. I love this site and read it daily if not hourly but somebody in every thread has to make some kind of personal attack on the OP with very little knowledge of the OP and his experiences. I just don't like missing all the other college games during the day and wanted to make my tailgate better that's all. It's all good, his ignorance is forgiven and I would gladly root for the VOLS (IN THE GAME, Not at the tailgate) with him any and every Saturday I can.

Reactions: 2 people
I have brought my direcTV dish and a receiver and a stand to aim the dish, you must be very accurate to get the best signal. However here is a warning if you are bringing your set top box from another region you will pick up that regions games, regardless of which satellite you find because it is encoded in the box.
I made this mistake coming up from Florida, had to call Direct TV from the parking lot at 17th and White, where I tail and I changed my billing address to the UT campus address told them I moved and they remotely changed my zip code in the box to match the Knoxville sat. When I got back I changed the address to my FL house.

Or maybe he just wants to watch the games that are on TV leading up to the Tennessee game. Calm down there buddy.

Bingo! Some people need to lighten up. You can hang out with your friends, family or total strangers for that matter and watch other games prior to the Tennessee game. Most likely that is the reason for the OP's question.

Thank you for defending me jake. This guy totally made the assumption that I was going to watch the game from the tailgate. Little did he know I haven't ever done that and I have been to at least 5 games per year for nearly 10 years now. This is the reason I don't post more often. I love this site and read it daily if not hourly but somebody in every thread has to make some kind of personal attack on the OP with very little knowledge of the OP and his experiences. I just don't like missing all the other college games during the day and wanted to make my tailgate better that's all. It's all good, his ignorance is forgiven and I would gladly root for the VOLS (IN THE GAME, Not at the tailgate) with him any and every Saturday I can.

Well put! Don't let the a-holes get to you!

Reactions: 2 people
I just imagine that dude walking around from tailgate to tailgate three hours before the game bellowing "Tailgating sucks! Put down the booze! Turn off the TV!" While slapping solo cups out of peoples' hands and pouring water on the grill.

"That's not UT football! To the stadium!"

[tailgaters look around at each other, puzzled]

On that note, I can't wait for Knoxville area cell companies/public wifi to catch up to the times so we can simply stream everything. That would probably open up all sorts of possibilities.

I'm pondering doing the "rent a tailgate" thing this year seeing as I don't live up there anymore.

On that note, I can't wait for Knoxville area cell companies/public wifi to catch up to the times so we can simply stream everything. That would probably open up all sorts of possibilities.

I'm pondering doing the "rent a tailgate" thing this year seeing as I don't live up there anymore.

The nice thing about it is that they set you up in Circle Park, which I've always thought, if done well, could be an Ole Miss Grove-type setting.

If you go that route, post a review and a price point. Their website doesn't even give any idea, outside of food, what those packages cost.

The nice thing about it is that they set you up in Circle Park, which I've always thought, if done well, could be an Ole Miss Grove-type setting.

If you go that route, post a review and a price point. Their website doesn't even give any idea, outside of food, what those packages cost.

This. I've considered trying it out as well, but they need to share the pricing options w/out having to "place an order"

VN Store

Back