We lead the SEC in Rushing Offense

Man.....there are times I wish we ran a normal offense because if you look back at the last 20 years of national championships, they ran college versions of pro stuff. I know a lot of that is Saban, but look how much he changed over his tenure. When he started at Bama is was all power run, game manager QB, slow developing play action. Then he jumped on the spread train but kept some of those concepts while introducing new wrinkles. However, his concepts were always close to what we see in the pros, but simplified enough for a college QB.

Not criticizing Heupel at all here, but he is running a scheme that is more likely to work in a bush league like the Big 12 but may or may not work in the SEC. Plus pace and space are not concepts in the NFL, meaning other schools can go open season trash talking you to recruits about how we run a gimmick offense that is too reliant on things that are not relevant to their ultimate goal of playing on Sunday.
What UT does looks different, but it’s just football. It’s not a gimmick. If anything, it’s not gimmicky enough.

Here’s what I mean: Texas runs a beautiful offense, and you can’t tell from formation what you’re getting. They run at every gap. They throw to every eligible receiver. They run screens and deep routes off the same formation. It’s all misdirection and eye discipline.

UT runs a much simpler core offense in terms of ways it attacks you. Heupel wants to run the ball, and the wide split WRs make it easy to tell if the numbers favor the run. Every wide formation play can be triple option (in theory if not reality): WR screen, hand off, QB run. Pass plays are primarily designed to beat man or give the WR a post-snap choice to adjust against zone. The route tree is less complex but the idea is that you’re primarily throwing into favorable matchups, so you don’t need the same complexity. There is obviously more to the passing concepts for passing downs, but the core offense wants to run into light boxes or throw against isolated defenders.

This year, for debatable reasons, the matchups aren’t clicking. But there’s not a schematic fix that keeps the core offensive principles in place. Width on offense rules out the possibility of out-breaking routes or mesh/spot concepts in a quick passing game. Even a 3-step drop from the QB can require a 20-35 yard throw because of the starting width.

The offense just has to execute better. The OL has to win blocks. The WR/QB combo have to hit on explosive plays when they’re there. If either the run or pass gets clicking, it will open up matchups in the other.

Unfortunately we are one demensional
Yep and if we don't run the Heupel fast offense and let Nico just play, Bama is gonna boat race us. Our defense is good, but this will be the best offense we've faced to date. Milton and Williams will be really hard to handle especially with Pili out. Heupel needs to get back to running his offense instead of coaching scared. Let the kids play. Yeah, they'll make mistakes, but I'd rather go down giving bama my best punch.

Yep and if we don't run the Heupel fast offense and let Nico just play, Bama is gonna boat race us. Our defense is good, but this will be the best offense we've faced to date. Milton and Williams will be really hard to handle especially with Pili out. Heupel needs to get back to running his offense instead of coaching scared. Let the kids play. Yeah, they'll make mistakes, but I'd rather go down giving bama my best punch.
This Bama O is so odd because they cannot run the ball consistently. Justice Haynes has not really stepped up like some thought he would, and Milroe designed runs are getting more predictable. Milroe is dangerous when he gets a full head of steam, but he seems to get caught a lot right at the line or before.

I am fearful Milroe is going to light us up though. Their other WRs are pretty good outside of Williams too.

VN Store

Back