Weird Facts About Famous Movies

Well, that's part of the embarrassment. The movie made his name legendary and he's used it to try to cash in and make quick bucks in a variety of ways, including illegal ones (securities fraud).

Wasn’t aware of the fraud. He’s Mormon now. Was not expecting that either.

Wasn’t aware of the fraud. He’s Mormon now. Was not expecting that either.

The two often go hand-in-hand. No offense to my Mormon peeps...just like any group, there are fraudsters, but Mormons find inherent trust with Mormons, which makes them easy marks. Utah is the fraud capital of the US. I just finished a podcast about a fraudulent doctor in CA who preached alkalinity levels were the cure to all illness. Didn't know the podcast would reveal that he was Mormon (and not actually a doctor, LOL).

Edit: also, the doctor's right hand man had the same name as somebody I knew in Utah, but who was from CA and also Mormon. I listened to 3 episodes before I was finally sure it wasn't the John Baird that I knew. That was wild. Almost as wild as the time I stumbled onto a podcast about my ex-Aunt being a fraudster.

Matt Damon was offered 5% of the franchise to be in Avatar. Apparently he had obligations abd it was just an idea at the time, but that's hundreds of millions right there

“You’re going to need a bigger boat.”

The memorable great line from Martin Brody in the masterpiece movie Jaws which was entirely improvised.

Reactions: A.J.
Will Smith could have been in the iconic great science fiction action movie The Matrix except declined to be in Wild Wild West which was released the same year.

Wild Wild West is a steampunk western blockbuster movie based on the classic tv show, it’s an unintentional very campy movie because it was entirely intended as a serious badass steampunk western movie.
It aimed to be badass and serious similar to the 2 Tim Burton Batman movies except instead was very campy much like Batman Forever.

Will Smith could have been in the iconic great science fiction action movie The Matrix except declined to be in Wild Wild West which was released the same year.

Wild Wild West is a steampunk western blockbuster movie based on the classic tv show, it’s an unintentional very campy movie because it was entirely intended as a serious badass steampunk western movie.
It aimed to be badass and serious similar to the 2 Tim Burton Batman movies except instead was very campy much like Batman Forever.
Will Smith has made more than a few bad career decisions. He’s definitely made some great ones, but he was bombing there for a while.

At the end of Good Will Hunting when Sean receives Will's note, saying "I gotta go see about a girl", Robin Williams add libs the line "Son of a bitch! He stole my line!" That line wasn't in the script.

At the end of Good Will Hunting when Sean receives Will's note, saying "I gotta go see about a girl", Robin Williams add libs the line "Son of a bitch! He stole my line!" That line wasn't in the script.

Maybe already mentioned in this thread, but the story Robin Williams tells about his deceased wife farting was improvised and Matt Damon's laugh was genuine. What a wild thing to throw in this movie and you're fighting back tears with this scene because it works so well.

Reactions: Brave Volunteer
Not exactly "weird facts", but I just heard an interview with Michael Keaton talking about his early career and a few forgotten movies I love, like Mr. Mom where the chainsaw gag was his idea. I didn't realize this was John Hughes first script. He was in advertising up to that point.

Tim Burton was a complete unknown when he did Beetlejuice. Keaton talked to him a couple times and basically came away with it not understanding the movie at all. The only thing he understood really was that he could do anything with his character and nobody would say "Beetlejuice wouldn't do that." The character allowed for complete freedom and Keaton showed up to set day 1 with the voice all ready, entirely of his own creation.

And then Keaton is the reason Batman was funny.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Not exactly "weird facts", but I just heard an interview with Michael Keaton talking about his early career and a few forgotten movies I love, like Mr. Mom where the chainsaw gag was his idea. I didn't realize this was John Hughes first script. He was in advertising up to that point.

Tim Burton was a complete unknown when he did Beetlejuice. Keaton talked to him a couple times and basically came away with it not understanding the movie at all. The only thing he understood really was that he could do anything with his character and nobody would say "Beetlejuice wouldn't do that." The character allowed for complete freedom and Keaton showed up to set day 1 with the voice all ready, entirely of his own creation.

And then Keaton is the reason Batman was funny.

Was that on the latest Smartless?

Reactions: n_huffhines

I haven't gotten to listen yet.

Not to derail the thread but that's one of my favorite podcasts now. Not every episode is a winner but most are. One of my favorites still is back about 3 years ago now or so they had Colbert and Conan O'Brien on different episodes and they both told their versions of the same story.

I haven't gotten to listen yet.

Not to derail the thread but that's one of my favorite podcasts now. Not every episode is a winner but most are. One of my favorites still is back about 3 years ago now or so they had Colbert and Conan O'Brien on different episodes and they both told their versions of the same story.

It's a great recipe. 3 very likable guys doing a tight hour with an interesting entertainer. I almost always listen and it usually exceeds my expectations when it's a guest I don't care about.

I believe they had Peyton Manning on, didn't they?

Two Don Bluth animated movies from the 1980's have sad backstories ....

"The Secret of NIMH" from 1982 had a lead character named Mrs. Brisby, voiced by Elizabeth Hartman, who had been nominated for an Academy Award in the 60's. Elizabeth Hartman committed suicide in June of 1987 by jumping from a window on the 5th floor of her apartment. She was only 43.

"The Land Before Time" from 1988 had a character named Ducky, voiced by child actress Judith Barsi. She was killed, along with her mother, in a murder-suicide by her father, before the film's release.

Fwiw, Don Bluth left Disney in 1979, a huge blow to the company at the time, because they wouldn't produce The Secret of NIMH. He started his own company and made it on his own.

"The Land Before Time" from 1988 had a character named Ducky, voiced by child actress Judith Barsi. She was killed, along with her mother, in a murder-suicide by her father, before the film's release.
She also voiced the little girl in "All Dogs Go to Heaven" along with Burt Reynolds & Dom DeLuise.

Reactions: BowlBrother85
Two Don Bluth animated movies from the 1980's have sad backstories ....

"The Secret of NIMH" from 1982 had a lead character named Mrs. Brisby, voiced by Elizabeth Hartman, who had been nominated for an Academy Award in the 60's. Elizabeth Hartman committed suicide in June of 1987 by jumping from a window on the 5th floor of her apartment. She was only 43.

I'd forgotten about the Elizabeth Hartman suicide but remembered the Barsi story because of how shocking it was. She might have really turned into something...she had 25 movie/tv credits before she died at only 10. Really tragic.

I'd forgotten about the Elizabeth Hartman suicide but remembered the Barsi story because of how shocking it was. She might have really turned into something...she had 25 movie/tv credits before she died at only 10. Really tragic.
She didn't kill herself.

VN Store

Back