Were we a better team in 2010?

nc vol fan

In your opinion were we a better team in 10? We had the ducks at half-time but depth and who knows what else happened after the half. Also were the ducks a better or worse team in 10? I personally think that we are a better team now than our 09 team but still suffer about the exact same depth issues. I still believe though we have to jump out in front of them early or at least be ahead at half-time to stand a chance. What say you? And GO VOLS!!!

Last edited:
I think we're about even with that team. The lightning delay in that game hurt our momentum. We were fired up until that happened.

Reactions: 1 person
In your opinion were we a better team in 09? We had the ducks at half-time but depth and who knows what else happened after the half. Also were the ducks a better or worse team in 09? I personally think that we are a better team now than our 09 team but still suffer about the exact same depth issues. I still believe though we have to jump out in front of them early or at least be ahead at half-time to stand a chance. What say you? And GO VOLS!!!

We lost to Oregon in 2010 not 09, it was the year they went to the NC. So at this point in time, that's their "best" team, however good chance this team is better.

I believe the 09 team was better. Problem is they didn't play Oregon. The 2010 team played them. This team is better than 2010 in my opinion, although that might be due to coaching. Too early to tell for sure though having only played two cupcakes.

In your opinion were we a better team in 09? We had the ducks at half-time but depth and who knows what else happened after the half. Also were the ducks a better or worse team in 09? I personally think that we are a better team now than our 09 team but still suffer about the exact same depth issues. I still believe though we have to jump out in front of them early or at least be ahead at half-time to stand a chance. What say you? And GO VOLS!!!
Lane Kiffin thinks we were better in 09.

FYI, we played Oregon in 2010. I think we are better this year. The problem is, so are they!

10 team had Dooley. They could have had the All-Pro roster and still been worse than this team with that buffoon running the show.

I believe the 09 team was better. Problem is they didn't play Oregon. The 2010 team played them. This team is better than 2010 in my opinion, although that might be due to coaching. Too early to tell for sure though having only played two cupcakes.

Nah we've played 1 cupcake and 1 poundcake. Both were delicious.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Oregon is more talented this year than in 2010. However, the pac - 12 as a whole is better and we still might not get the same results as 2010.

Oregon's defense in 2010 had a lot of good quality depth. However, this year the defense has reached the depth of 2010 with bigger players that still play fast.

On offense it's not even close.

Qb better - check
Oline better - check
TE better - Paulson was pretty dang reliable but Lyerla is more talented and we have some guys behind him. - Even
RB - 2010 was better
WR - we are 10x better

Let it go, we play this weekend. Win or lose, we will be well coached. We will also have a lot of talent on the field and our players will get more experience thru playing and finally being well coached. Puck the Fast!

Dooley's 2010 team struggled mightily to beat Vandy, UAB, and Kentucky. The o line were all freshmen except for Dallas Thomas and Cody Pope. Matt Simms was under center and half way through the year was beat out by a true freshman (Bray). Tauren Poole was the best option at running back; however, receiver was better with D moore, hunter, Rogers, and Stocker at TE. IMO, the defense only had a few bright spots in J. Jackson, M. Jackson, and Nick Reveiz. IMO, we are in better shape this year.

Last edited:
I think were a better team than in 2010. The team now seams to play hard and know what's going on. But we will know soon enough. GO VOLS!

I think we have a better qb situation going for us, definitely a better running game (although Poole played very well against Oregon). Our O-line and TEs are better. But I believe our WR corps were better in 2010. Gerald Jones and Denarius Moore backed up by Z. Rodgers, Darick, and Hunter.

As far as defense... I think they will fare a bit better than the 2010 squad.

Not a chance. Our O line was very young. We had Dooley as a coach AND Matt Simms was the qb in that game.

Uh, was this a serious question?

In 2010 we had 3 FR o-linemen and a hippie starting.
In 2013 we have 4-5 future NFL players and most of our depth has had a couple of offseasons of strength and conditioning.

In 2010 we didn't have an SEC DT on the roster. Our best DT was a DE (Malik Jackson). We didn't have a pass rush. Period.
In 2013 we have 2 average SEC DTs and a monster who hasn't completely flipped the switch, and Smith and Maggitt on the outsides.

In 2010 we had Matt Simms, bless his soul with that o-line. A human punching bag who was lucky he survived.
In 2013 we have Worley, who has at least been in the program 3 years.

In 2010 we had Nick Reviez starting at MLB. Great player who gave his all for the Vols but was undersized and all heart rather than athletic ability. He did want it though...
In 2013 we have AJ and a handful of guys better than injury-prone Greg King and LaMarcus Thompson.

Only position that was measurably better in 2010 was WRs and TE with D Moore, Gerald Jones, and Luke Stocker.

In 2010 we lost 2 of our best players before the season started, Janzen Jackson and Montori Hughes (who would have been our only SEC DT).

The 2010 roster was the worst in the modern era of Tennessee football. Dooley's best coaching job by far.

This 2013 team under CBJ would hulk-smash our 2010 team.

Last edited:
Uh, was this a serious question?

In 2010 we had 3 FR o-linemen and a hippie starting.
In 2012 we have 4-5 future NFL players and most of our depth has had a couple of offseasons of strength and conditioning.

In 2010 we didn't have an SEC DT on the roster. Our best DT was a DE (Malik Jackson). We didn't have a pass rush. Period.
In 2012 we have 2 average SEC DTs and a monster who hasn't completely flipped the switch, and Smith and Maggitt on the outsides.

In 2010 we had Matt Simms, bless his soul with that o-line. A human punching bag who was lucky he survived.
In 2012 we have Worley, who has at least been in the program 3 years.

In 2010 we had Nick Reviez starting at MLB. Great player who gave his all for the Vols but was undersized and all heart rather than athletic ability. He did want it though...
In 2012 we have AJ and a handful of guys better than injury-prone Greg King and LaMarcus Thompson.

Only position that was measurably better in 2010 was WRs and TE with D Moore, Gerald Jones, and Luke Stocker.

In 2010 we lost 2 of our best players before the season started, Janzen Jackson and Montori Hughes (who would have been our only SEC DT).

The 2010 roster was the worst in the modern era of Tennessee football. Dooley's best coaching job by far.

This 2012 team under CBJ would hulk-smash our 2010 team.

And now we have traveled back in time

VN Store

Back