What’s in the Box?

I think the rifleman should be updated every few years to reflect our present sons and daughters serving for our nation's defense. The Davy Crockett image has no pop to 18 year olds in 2024. It looks like something they would see on their great grandfather's coffee table.

Something along these lines keep it current. Grey helmet (or white; doesn't matter), mountains similar to the current designs, sunset and rifleman in orange with a T on soldier's helmet.
Or maybe something better, but hopefully something to emphasize that Tennessee men and women answer the call and are STILL Volunteers today in the present and future, Not the tired War of 1812, Mexican War, and the Alamo image.
squad.jpg
How about a little Summitt Blue added to the uniform

How about a little Summitt Blue added to the uniform
I'm good with it as a one-off.
Good design can make anything a positive.
I think baseball hit a grand slam with the Astros nod baseball jerseys 10 years ago.
Bgn7kDZCUAAXh3I

NIKE fixed the orange shoulder Condredge Holloway throwback jersey that looked like pajamas 20 years ago. Summitt Blue could work here as the background color of the SEC logo, the NIKE emblem, and number outline and name color (maybe?).
ds3621-tennessee-volunteers-anthracite-alternate-with-name-game-jersey-sec-patch-orange-white.jpg

I'm good with it as a one-off.
Good design can make anything a positive.
I think baseball hit a grand slam with the Astros nod baseball jerseys 10 years ago.
Bgn7kDZCUAAXh3I

NIKE fixed the orange shoulder Condredge Holloway throwback jersey that looked like pajamas 20 years ago. Summitt Blue could work here as the background color of the SEC logo, the NIKE emblem, and number outline and name color (maybe?).
ds3621-tennessee-volunteers-anthracite-alternate-with-name-game-jersey-sec-patch-orange-white.jpg

I would love to see these again. I don’t need the Blue included though.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Obviously has something to do with the tri-star logo. Probably going to be represented on all athletic uniforms.

Heisman trophy symbol, shower faucet, prius, mustard bottle, box of Titleist yellow golf balls, a brick, Mc Donald's bag, a bbq...
Burn the box

Reactions: Firebirdparts
I think the rifleman should be updated every few years to reflect our present sons and daughters serving for our nation's defense. The Davy Crockett image has no pop to 18 year olds in 2024. It looks like something they would see on their great grandfather's coffee table.

Something along these lines keep it current. Grey helmet (or white; doesn't matter), mountains similar to the current designs, sunset and rifleman in orange with a T on soldier's helmet.
Or maybe something better, but hopefully something to emphasize that Tennessee men and women answer the call and are STILL Volunteers today in the present and future, Not the tired War of 1812, Mexican War, and the Alamo image.
squad.jpg
I appreciate the sentiment about recognizing the Volunteer spirit, present as well as past. That said, classic symbols are classic for a reason. We wouldn’t tell our mascot rifleman to start wearing bdus and carrying an M4; why is the logo different?

I also just don’t like military homages in the uniform of non-military schools. Always comes off as desperate to me when a school like Ole Miss puts on a camo uniform, like they’re trying to use the “brand” of the armed forces to enhance their own. It’s almost borderline stolen valor in my mind, just makes me feel icky. To each their own though.

I appreciate the sentiment about recognizing the Volunteer spirit, present as well as past. That said, classic symbols are classic for a reason. We wouldn’t tell our mascot rifleman to start wearing bdus and carrying an M4; why is the logo different?

I also just don’t like military homages in the uniform of non-military schools. Always comes off as desperate to me when a school like Ole Miss puts on a camo uniform, like they’re trying to use the “brand” of the armed forces to enhance their own. It’s almost borderline stolen valor in my mind, just makes me feel icky. To each their own though.
I don't have the same reaction to the homages, but I understand your position.
I still wear my A-2 jackets all the time in cooler weather. I also wear an unadorned Navy peacoat because it is amazing in brutal weather.

The armed services love sports programs like the Ole Miss uniforms because it is a recruiting tool with far reach in the media. Same reason they dispatch bombers, fighters, color guards to games.

I do assert the Davy Crockett "Volunteer" image is going to be a neutral at best icon for the program going forward. (and simply out of step at worst; think how cringe-y the WVU mountaineer looks.) We need to update that image because Tennessee's sons and daughters are still volunteering and answering the call in the 21st century and hopefully far in to the future. It didn't end in the 1830s.
My idea for the image update was just a spitball idea.
I believe we should address being Volunteers as an ongoing commitment and something we emphasize more in the present and future, not something that only happened back when coonskin hats were current. We can revere our ancestors, fathers, uncles, brothers and sisters, and sons and daughters and generations coming in the future because TN answers the call: GO VOLS!.

Last edited:
A scale model of Neyland Stadium with all seating converted to luxury boxes.

VN Store

Back