What are you listening to?

Yes. I didn't comment in that thread because I don't feel like arguing.
Same here. However, I will comment here.
I watched the video before I found that thread. To me, music has been getting worse since 1986. Lol. That's due to my age more than anything else. I do agree with Rick on the fact it is very "formula" driven. I've noticed over the past 15 or so years, it all seems to be from a template and therefore, to me, it all sounds about the same.

JM2c

Same here. However, I will comment here.
I watched the video before I found that thread. To me, music has been getting worse since 1986. Lol. That's due to my age more than anything else. I do agree with Rick on the fact it is very "formula" driven. I've noticed over the past 15 or so years, it all seems to be from a template and therefore, to me, it all sounds about the same.

JM2c
For a few shining years - maybe 10-12 years ago? - there was a radio station in Memphis that played nothing but old school soul and R&B. IIRC, they played Jackson 5 but not Michael Jackson solo, so stopping around there. It was heaven to listen to on my Memphis trips. James Brown, anything STAX, Motown, Muscle Shoals, 60's "girl" groups, Temps/ Spinners/ Four Tops/ Curtis Mayfield, on and on.

They used to have promotional clips of musicians commenting on the station's content. One was (I'm pretty sure) Gladys Knight praising the station and railing about modern music: "You call that music?! That ain't music!"

Station got bought out by some corporate chain. Boo.

There was some good stuff scattered throughout the early 90's and even some good country until the early 2000's imo. But then it was just what sucked less than errthang else.
I listened to country in the mid 90's into the early 00's - the only time I ever did, really. No one in my family listened to country, and even when we lived in the South, we were in the 'burbs. And then we moved to Hawai'i when I was starting 8th grade, so that took care of that.

But I loved that stretch of mid 90's on a bit, when country music was funny and heart-touching and didn't take itself so seriously.

I like 2 songs out of all of her pop stuff. I like her and I know she's talented, but I don't care for the non country Taylor.

I like 2 songs out of all of her pop stuff. I like her and I know she's talented, but I don't care for the non country Taylor.

giphy.gif

VN Store

Back