What Are Your Earliest Memories as a Tennessee Fan?

How long have you been a Tennessee fan?

• Total voters
As we prepare for another season of Tennessee football, this is a tribute to those who have stood by the program, through thick and thin, for decades on end. It is also a bit of a competition to determine who, among us, has stood watch longest as a member of the Big Orange Nation.

My personal allegiance is now approaching, hard as it is to believe, half a century. I first began to follow Tennessee football in 1967, Doug Dickey's first SEC championship season and the year before John Ward became the beloved "Voice of the Vols." I vaguely recall the 1965 Bluebonnet Bowl vs. Tulsa and clearly remember the 1966 Gator Bowl in which we defeated Syracuse 18-12, despite Larry Csonka and Floyd Little amassing nearly 300 yards rushing.

So, I presently stand at 46 years and counting as a proud member of the Big Orange Nation. How long have you been one and what are your earliest memories of Tennessee football?

The 1st game I ever remember seeing was that Bluebonnet Bowl vs Tulsa. It was pouring rain. I remember seeing it on TV at my grandparents house in Dickson, TN. The picture was fuzzy. I think it was a combo of pouring rain & 1964 B&W television! The 1st game I attended was that 1966 Gator Bowl.

I'm 36 and been a Vol all my life..not sure what my first memries are, I got to attend 3 or 4 games a year as soon as I was old enough to sit still..(82?).. most vivid memories of childhood are of Dale Carter..we haven't had a returner NEARLY as good since him...and all the great WR like Pickens, Harper, Morgan etc.. remember the hotdogs at neyland as a kid were the best on the planet for some reason. Best times of my entire life, hands down, were attending games with my pappaw. Priceless.

Im 29 now and i still remember the fall weather when we were beating the hell out of Bama every year in the mid to late 90's. Born and raised in Southern Middle Tennessee and i wouldn't have it any other way. There was just something unexplainable in the air in this area during that era. Being so close to the Alabama border, i remember taking trips to Huntsville with my mom and stepdad during football season and UT football was huge. Hanging out in small towns like Huntland, Elora, Flintville, etc. Riding to the store with my stepdad during some halftimes and the radio being up almost full blast all the way there and back just in case we missed a play before we got back to the house. Hell, one year during the Georgia game, we hooked a tv up outside, fired up the grill and around 30 people from the community came over to watch the game and eat, had a great time. Throwing horseshoes, everybody catching up, us kids running around. I miss those days.

Reactions: 1 person
I can barely remember Jimmy Streeter in the late 70's. One of my fondest and earliest memories was the 82 Bama; game listening to John Ward. My Dad and his best friend didn't speak for a long time after that day. His friend; a Bammer; now is in his 80's, and my Dad is one of the few people he recognizes.

Seeing Travis Henry score the game winner against SC in 2000.

Last edited:
1988. I was 6. Got in on the ground floor. My dad introduces me to the Vols and Braves that year. I figured I was just doomed to root for horrible teams. The 90's were kinder. :)

I remember Condredge Holloway signing my autograph paper when I was about 7 years old. I think he felt sorry for me because I was too scared to ask any players for autographs. I just remember he was big and carried a big white bag with him. I didn't even know who he was, but kept the paper in a drawer for many years. When I was about twenty, I found the old paper with only his name on it.

The defense of the late sixties, especially the linebackers. I attended a game in 1968 but don't remember much about it. My first real vivid memory was the second game I attended in my life. It was the Auburn game in 1973. The early afternoon tilt started off in the bright sun in the first half and then the bottom fell out in the second half. We hammered them 21-0. Neil Clabo had a 72 yard punt in the driving rain

I have been a Tennessee fan since conception, which, by my estimates, was sometime late in August 1955. Cut me, go ahead, I bleed BIG ORANGE!!! :pepper:

VN Store

Back